Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th July 2021, 02:55 PM   #31
df1967

The possibility that Italian blades came to Germany in this times makes absolutely sense, as vice verse. See this book from the museum in Berlin, 2 German Katzbalger, both blades north Italy…only the Bidenhänder is completely German made. So the trading around 1500 worked even without the European Union…
df1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2021, 03:01 PM   #32
df1967

Two examples of Katzbalger with Italian blades…
Attached Images

Old 7th July 2021, 03:02 PM   #33
df1967

Blades north Italy
Old 7th July 2021, 07:14 PM   #34
Philip

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando View Post
Unfortunately my copy of this book doesn't have the the section with the marks index. It was a fellow forumite that sent me the scan (or photos) of such pages, some of them taken in a poor conditin, like the present one. Perhaps some member with te complete book will scan this page and sow it in a more clear condition ... Philip ? .
I doubt that the text goes into detailed info on the smith or his mark, anyhow; maybe only the name given to this type of symbol.

Sorry, Nando, my copy of [IArmi Bianche Italiane[/I] is an edition printed without the marks section, too! Same editor, I guess you and I have the economy version
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2021, 07:30 PM   #35
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
Sorry, Nando, my copy of [IArmi Bianche Italiane[/I] is an edition printed without the marks section, too! Same editor, I guess you and I have the economy version
So we stand together Filipe ... or we would; my copy was a gift; can not complain .
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2021, 09:19 AM   #36
cornelistromp

The castle tower mark, with 3 or 4 points, often seen on wide Italian blades from the end of the 15th century, are all punched into the blade and without latten, as far as I know.
The mark of the sword under discussion is chisseled and finished with a latten inlay. This in combination with the orb and cross does not indicate an Italian origin.I would look more towards Solingen or else.

best,
jasper
Attached Images

Last edited by cornelistromp; 8th July 2021 at 11:01 AM.
cornelistromp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2021, 12:01 PM   #37
df1967

Also possible jasper, all which we are doing are speculating, nevertheless on a high standard. In such cases, after more than 500 years, nobody could be for sure how or who the manufacture was nore with which components they worked. Anyhow, they where for sure master of their craft, this and the historical terms made this field so fascinating for me!
Old 8th July 2021, 05:20 PM   #38
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornelistromp View Post
The castle tower mark, with 3 or 4 points, often seen on wide Italian blades from the end of the 15th century, are all punched into the blade and without latten, as far as I know.
The mark of the sword under discussion is chisseled and finished with a latten inlay. This in combination with the orb and cross does not indicate an Italian origin.I would look more towards Solingen or else.

best,
jasper

While the use of latten, as suggested, is notably a Solingen (or Passau?) convention, I would note that this 'castle' mark (with four crenellations) is more to the example shown in the excerpt from Lenciewicz , where it is shown as from 'Italia', however in profile it seems markedly different from the discussion sword example.

The particular configuration seen on this blade appears to me more of a 'trident', and with the obvious traditional connection to the 'gladiator'.
The use of latten does not confine its presence to Germany, however the use of the cross and orb does seem to do so.

This compounds the familiar problem of makers from one country or region, working in other areas retaining their styles, character and convention in their work despite the contrary geographic classification.
For example, cuphilts of Milanese form made in regions of Lyon in France etc.

The plot thickens

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 8th July 2021 at 06:14 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2021, 07:56 PM   #39
Victrix

For what’s it’s worth, Milan is also a Catholic Archdiocese headed by an Archbishop whose symbol is a double cross. ”The Archdiocese of Milan is the metropolitan see of the ecclesiastical province of Milan, which includes the suffragan dioceses of Bergamo, Brescia, Como, Crema, Cremona, Lodi, Mantova, Pavia, and Vigevano.” (source: Wikipedia).

I would just make the observation that the Katzbalger under discussion has a Germanic looking blade (IÂ’ve heard similar diamond cross section shaped blades described as Saxon in style). Solingen was wellknown to add other famous bladesmithÂ’s marks on their blades. The Italian swords shown so far with the trident mark all look typically Italian: flat and wide with very shallow fullers. ItÂ’s possible of course that the bladesmith was very versatile and also produced Germanic looking blades for the Germanic markets, or even traveled to Solingen to work there (?), although these guilds were pretty much closed shops so he would need special invitation.
Victrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2021, 06:00 PM   #40
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall View Post
... I would note that this 'castle' mark (with four crenellations)...
Not so important but, James Mann (Wallace Coll.) doesn't see those as 'castle' marks, but 'rake-like' marks (A741, A743, A747) .
Old 9th July 2021, 08:06 PM   #41
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Not so important but, James Mann (Wallace Coll.) doesn't see those as 'castle' marks, but 'rake-like' marks (A741, A743, A747) .
Well noted Fernando! and I have always thought the simile's used by him and several others for marks fascinating , 'very Rorschach'
cogwheels, twig, hogsback........the name game seldom touched in the discussions on edged weapons over terms they are called by.

Mann's catalog is fantastic, and one of the most valuable references I have ever bought.
Old 9th July 2021, 08:17 PM   #42
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victrix View Post
For what’s it’s worth, Milan is also a Catholic Archdiocese headed by an Archbishop whose symbol is a double cross. ”The Archdiocese of Milan is the metropolitan see of the ecclesiastical province of Milan, which includes the suffragan dioceses of Bergamo, Brescia, Como, Crema, Cremona, Lodi, Mantova, Pavia, and Vigevano.” (source: Wikipedia).

I would just make the observation that the Katzbalger under discussion has a Germanic looking blade (IÂ’ve heard similar diamond cross section shaped blades described as Saxon in style). Solingen was wellknown to add other famous bladesmithÂ’s marks on their blades. The Italian swords shown so far with the trident mark all look typically Italian: flat and wide with very shallow fullers. ItÂ’s possible of course that the bladesmith was very versatile and also produced Germanic looking blades for the Germanic markets, or even traveled to Solingen to work there (?), although these guilds were pretty much closed shops so he would need special invitation.

Well observed Victrix! and you have brought up a very salient point. The Solingen situation was indeed very controlled, and the guilds very powerful.
There are references which describe limitations to the number of swords, knives blades which could be produced in regulated periods of time.

While it is known that there were instances of a number of German smiths who went to Spain, France and Holland to work (not aware of to any Italian centers)....the situation does not seem to have been reciprocal.
The 'influences' of Italian arms and armor does seem to have been well established as conveyed into these other arms centers, and in many cases, as for example Spain, was provincially present in Italy, their arms were well known in Spain and its dominions.

Returning to the case in point, the observation that latten was not used by Italian makers or artisan engravers is intriguing, and I was unaware that this otherwise European affectation not carried into Italian centers.,
Old 10th July 2021, 08:13 AM   #43
cornelistromp

with post #36 I didn't mean Italy specifically but generally punched blade marks are not inlaid with latten. (of course with exceptions).
This applies to both Italy and other countries such as Germany
The italian examples of the Castle tower mark are all punched, the mark of the katzbalger in post 1 is "incised" and inlaid with latten.

the orb and cross is (more) common on blades from solingen, eg several members of the Wundes family used these, Iohann Wundes in the second half of the 16th century. The two examples of orb and cross in this threath , attributed to someone else, I believe are the marks of Iohannes Wundes.

Then the blade geometry, a ricasso and a diamond shaped cross section can be found on the most famous katzbalger in Vienna, but also on a couple katzbalgers in Dresden, probably all of german origin.

@ fernando attached a tower and a rake ;-)

best,
Attached Images

Last edited by cornelistromp; 10th July 2021 at 09:21 AM.
Old 10th July 2021, 12:02 PM   #44
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornelistromp View Post
...@ fernando attached a tower and a rake ;-...
So it could be that Sir James Mann was not such romantic knight; more of a fan of gardening .

Attached Images

Old 14th July 2021, 12:00 PM   #45
cornelistromp

the katzbalger of Ulrich von Schellenberg mentioned in post #43
Attached Images

Old 14th July 2021, 01:46 PM   #46
fernando

Gorgeous .
Old 14th July 2021, 07:08 PM   #47
df1967

From all Landsknecht swords world wide which I know or ever saw the most beautiful Katzbalger! Typicall in form and shape for this type around 1515/20! Great pics, thanks!
Old 14th July 2021, 10:36 PM   #48
Philip

Quote:
So it could be that Sir James Mann was not such romantic knight; more of a fan of gardening .

Well, understandable considering the English love of and expertise in gardening. Maybe if he he had an ovicultural background, he might have seen a sheep-comb:
Attached Images

Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2021, 12:13 AM   #49
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Cool Religious Significance

https://woollyhistoryofbritain.wordp...-of-st-blaise/

You never know.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote