Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st October 2005, 07:05 AM   #1
rasdan

Default Moro Kris

Hi guys,

Can u please comment on the age and origin of this kris? I'm thinking of sulu. Blade is laminated and the edges with twisted rod at centre. I dont know how many twisted does it consists. Anybody can help on this? Harsrinuksmo's encyclopedia describes the tunggakkan feature at the ganja is post 1820's but this one looks older (?). Could it be an 18th century piece? Heres the pictures before and after cleaning. (the pictures with blue background are post cleaning)

Btw, im not sure if the tip is really 3 cm wide. I havent recieve the item.

Thanks,
Rasdan
Attached Images

rasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2005, 04:24 PM   #2
Mick

Rasdan

You have a true double twisted rod center piece blade versus the etched fake models of this work. Two indicators of the real work exist on your blade. One is the area of the cold shut between the two rods. The other is the fact that the twist area extends beyond the central area and into the edge area a bit. The etched pieces have a clear line of demarcation betweeen these two areas which is somtimes contained by an inlayed strip along this edge.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2005, 04:37 PM   #3
nechesh

Interesting blade Rasdan. I don't think it is as old as 18thC, but i'm no expert. I don't recall ever seeing what have been called 18thC kris with those piercings at the gangya. BTW, nice job so far on you restoration efforts, especially at the gangya where you seem to have been able to sucessfully straighten it and close the big gap on the diagonal.
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2005, 06:06 PM   #4
Bill

Great sword. I would guess that this is an example of a keris smith making a kris. Being that the blade is approx. 23", it has a rectangular tang, the holes & file work, & the 45 degree gangya; I would guess 1st half of 19thC. I have found nothing to suggest that the "Moro" of the PI ever made keris. I have found that the kris was in wide use in 18thC Celebes. With the Bugis scattering from Celebes under Dutch control, it would be hard to place its origin. I would feel confident that where ever this sword came from, that it has Bugis influence. As it seems the Bugis had a thing for 18-20" swords and the Moro perfered, for the most part, 22-24" blades; the Philippines seems to be logical. Great example, likely a cross-over between groups. It may have once had a deep etch and then polished between the fuller lines & edge. I'd toss the stirup.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2005, 08:09 PM   #5
rasdan

Hi guys,

Thanks for your reply. However i am highly unfamiliar with this type of lamination. still re-studying articles of vikingswords etc.

Hi Mick,

What do u mean by the cold shut between the two rods? Is it the crack at the centre of the kris at the base?

Hi Nechesh,

Yes, i also thinks the the piercing style at the ganja is rather new, perhaps in the 19th C. What strikes me that this one is kindda old is that the metal that is used in this blade it seems that it is a bit "grainy". Btw, the restoration works is not done by me. It is done in Indonesia. If its by me.. i think the ganya would already be lost by now.

Hi Bill,

I think origin is the hardest part of determining the provenance of a keris especially without its propper fittings. Yes, there's a hunch in me that this a bugis origin keris, but i had no proof. What makes me think that is the style of the pamor welding and the ruggedness look of the blade and steel being used. The stirrup is new and will surely be removed when i get the piece.

Best regards,
Rasdan
Old 21st October 2005, 08:53 PM   #6
Mick

Rasdan

Yes that's it. This occurs when the smith had finished (he thinks) welding up the blade and then finds this fault in the weld when he begins the cutting and finishing of the blade. He removes the part of the weld that covered this fault and is faced with the choice of gong back to the forge (possibly screwing up the piece) or accepting what he has in hand. When the fault is not bad, that is structuraly unsound it is only a blemish on the final product. This will probably cause a reduction in the final price of the piece, but it is not a catastrophe such as when this fault goes all the way through the blade.
The faults on your piece do not seem to go all the way through (based on one view of the pesi) but the are pretty deep and if they were longer in llength (say twice what they are) would probably effect the use (and survival) of the piece in actual warfare.

Last edited by Mick; 21st October 2005 at 09:06 PM.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2005, 04:26 AM   #7
Battara
EAAF Staff

The Moro did in fact do twist core damascus like this, but it seems to have been at an earlier period. I have noticed that as time moves toward the 20c the ability gets lost or not of intererst anymore. Also, I would tend to go with Cato in that the earlier the period, the smaller the kris becomes.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2005, 09:55 AM   #8
rasdan

Hi Mick,

The cold shut area really makes me think again and again and again (for about one month) before purchasing this keris. But then, i thought it is not really bad (not pierced through) and perhaps it turns out to be something worth keeping (i have very little experience with this type of keris). Mainly, what intrigues me is the weld pattern and reading more literature on this type of blade welding really excites me. Thanks for your explaination.

Hi Battara,

Thanks for your opinion. I dont have any reference on Moro kris and this really limits my knowledge on this subject. I'm not sure what is the origin of the Moro kris and when it started being used. Can u please shed some light on this?

Regards,
Rasdan
Old 22nd October 2005, 05:29 PM   #9
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile Cato

Hi Ras ,
Cato's Moro Swords is often listed on ebay by a Philippine seller at a quite reasonable price . Search under 'moro' .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2005, 06:31 PM   #10
Bill

Bet there is a bookstore somewhere in Singapore that has dusty copies, dirt cheap.
Old 23rd October 2005, 05:30 AM   #11
rasdan

Hmm.. thanks guys. I'll start looking for the book. Btw, if anybody have an old kris hilt for sale that would match my piece here, can u please email me? Thanks.

Last edited by rasdan; 23rd October 2005 at 05:47 AM.
Old 24th October 2005, 09:37 AM   #12
kai

Question

Congrats, Rasdan - that's definitely a keeper!

Just adding my 0.2 cents:
This blade looks 100% Maranao to me. I don't see anything which would indicate Tausug (much less Buginese) influence. What did I miss?

Safe of the twisted core forging, are there any hints for it being older than, say, 2nd half of 19th century?

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2005, 09:44 AM   #13
kai

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
I have found that the kris was in wide use in 18thC Celebes.
Bill, I don't doubt that but could you cite some references? Or, even better, share pics of any (possibly provenanced?) examples you may have? Thanks a lot!

Regards,
Kai
Old 24th October 2005, 03:28 PM   #14
Bill

Kai, I have never found any provenanced kris of the Bugis. There is the accounts of David Woodard, who was shipwrecked for 2.5 years on Celebes in the late 18C. There is also vague Portuguese & English accounts. E. Banks has given his opinion that the kris was once made in Brunei, but he falls short of any proof and his research was by interview of locals in the late 1930's. Banks did print plates of several kris that of interest; the elephant is quite simular in all six, half have the diminutive kakatua that are simular to the Indo/Malay sundang, & 3 appear to have the raised center etch. I would think there is documented or provenanced Riau & Malay Sundang, but that is only speculation. I have read quite a bit on the early PI groups & Celebes groups and fall short of any proof of the origin of the kris, it is merely my opinion that the kris originated with the Bugis.
Old 24th October 2005, 04:41 PM   #15
zelbone

I'm with Kai....looks Maranao to me.
zelbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2005, 06:30 PM   #16
MABAGANI

If you've never found a provenanced kris of the Bugis, why is your opinion that it originated with the Bugis. There is overwhelming examples of kris originating throughout the Moro regions of Mindanao and Sulu. Leaf, you repeatedly make it appear as if each Malay or Indonesian group could not have adapted their own form when keris diaspora occurred. The kris is just the adapted form used in Mindanao and Sulu, so why do you continue denying them their cultural place as if you have some personal prejudice, imho?

Quote:
Kai, I have never found any provenanced kris of the Bugis. There is the accounts of David Woodard, who was shipwrecked for 2.5 years on Celebes in the late 18C. There is also vague Portuguese & English accounts. E. Banks has given his opinion that the kris was once made in Brunei, but he falls short of any proof and his research was by interview of locals in the late 1930's. Banks did print plates of several kris that of interest; the elephant is quite simular in all six, half have the diminutive kakatua that are simular to the Indo/Malay sundang, & 3 appear to have the raised center etch. I would think there is documented or provenanced Riau & Malay Sundang, but that is only speculation. I have read quite a bit on the early PI groups & Celebes groups and fall short of any proof of the origin of the kris, it is merely my opinion that the kris originated with the Bugis.
MABAGANI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2005, 08:49 PM   #17
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

I'd vote for Maranao too .

Rasdan , have you contacted Adni about having a new handle made for this piece ; surely he must know some craftsmen who are capable of doing this work .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2005, 09:05 PM   #18
Battara
EAAF Staff

Or I can do it!
Old 24th October 2005, 10:17 PM   #19
MABAGANI

btw I'd call it a recent copy of a Maranao type for the strange feeling that the cutting edge does not appear hardened as a real Moro kris sword and the form seems off, I could be wrong? Rasdan, can you verify that the edge holds a sharp hardened edge?

Last edited by MABAGANI; 24th October 2005 at 10:34 PM.
Old 25th October 2005, 12:47 AM   #20
nechesh

Quote:
Bill, Thanks for clearing this up that this is just your unsubstantiated opinion. I have yet to read the Woodward account. Does he describe the Bugis swords he encountered in enough detail to be sure they were carrying kris blades? Are they described as straight, wavy or both? Any description of the trunk area, gangya or any other blade details?
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2005, 08:29 AM   #21
rasdan

Hi Rick and Battarra,

Thank you very much for the advice and offer. I really appreciate it I thought i'll first try finding an old hilt for this keris. If that did'nt work out, i'll make a new one for it.

Hi Mabagani,

I just received the keris this morning. Its kinda different from the pics. To my relief the crack is not as huge and deep as in the pictures. Phew.. In the pictures it seems that it is made of some sort of "dry" and light metal but actually it is dense and the edges are really sharp (Its kinda heavy for its size too). Anyway, im not sure how to really tell if its hardened or not, but judging from the steel edge color, i think it is.

For the age, well.. i sure think its an old piece, not because it is mine but because of the condition of the tang. I guess if a person would wanna age a blade they'll age the entire blade and tang (or in some cases, only the blade) but, in this case, the blade is quite well preserved but the tang is really corroded by rust. Of course theres always a possibility of the forger also thinks this way and purposely age the tang, but i think it is not likely in the case due to the uneveness of the corrosion pattern.

Ok, just some thought. I REALLY hope this wont raise any controversy. I come in peace.. and I just would like to disscuss. hehe..

(Unfortunately i did'nt get that Cato's book on eBay recently.. I'm a bit too late) Is it possibble that the keris is introduced by the Bugis to Philiphines? I come across this website sometime ago and noticed that the sword used in the installation ceremony in the Gowa kingdom in South Sulawesi is a Sundang. You can find it in the glossary part in this page:

http://www.4dw.net/royalark/Indonesia/gowa.htm

This makes me think, the bugis priced sundang's quite highly if it is used in the installation ceremony, not just merely a weapon. A weapon appreciated like that most probably originated from their own culture. Perhaps it is the Bugis that introduced the sundang to Philiphines. Like Leaf said, they dispersed throughout the archipelago in late 17th C and surely brought their weapon with them.

Is it possibble that the Moro adopted the bugis sundang as their weapon in the 18thC? Probably this is the reason that we normaly see many of the 18thC and later kerises (The moros used it extensively) and there's almost no older specimen (It is reserved for a higher statused Bugis). It is a difference and cross-over of culters between 2 ethnic groups.

Perhaps this weapon then evolved with newer features (maybe) the baca-baca and even the Bugis loved them and finally adopted the design and again spreading it around the archipelago.

Again, there are very little specimen of the Bugis/Malay sundang in the Malay region of Riau and the Peninsula. This, again, shows that the sundang is reserved for a higher statused individual according to the Bugis early tradition. (My hypothesis only) There are examples of sundangs owned by the sultan of Perak and Terengganu which has a high Moro taste. The pictures are attached below.

BUT, on second thought, if the above is true, we must had seen at least 2-3 specimens of older kerises. But, the oldest sundang, i suppose, is made around second half of 18thC (Is it?). It seems that there is no sign of earlier kerises of this type. Is it because of the bugis themselves adopting the moro design in the later period or is it besause it is actually born in the 18thC?

It is really an interesting topic indeed, but the truth will remain a mystery..

Best regards,
Rasdan

p/s: In the above keris and sundang have the same meaning i.e the moro keris as normally reffered to in this forum. (If we accept them as the same weapon)
Attached Images

Last edited by rasdan; 25th October 2005 at 09:24 AM.
Old 25th October 2005, 09:32 AM   #22
rasdan

Hi Nechesh,

Just to add a bit. Woodard's description of weapons in South Sulawesi is very general. Theres no description ganya, trunk what so ever. I'd guess he is too busy trying to figure out how to escape.

Regards,
Rasdan
Old 25th October 2005, 11:21 AM   #23
kai

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasdan
Anyway, im not sure how to really tell if its hardened or not, but judging from the steel edge color, i think it is.
Rasdan, do you know how the blade was treated/etched?

Quote:
For the age, well.. i sure think its an old piece, not because it is mine but because of the condition of the tang.
I also think this blade is antique (e. g. there's some wear at the gangya's file work and considerable corrosion at the tip possibly from repeated etchings by a Malay owner). I don't see a reason to place it earlier than 2nd half of 19th c though.

Quote:
(Unfortunately i did'nt get that Cato's book on eBay recently..
Go for one of the next copies...

Quote:
Is it possibble that the keris is introduced by the Bugis to Philiphines?
The Moro and Bugis seemed to have had close ties, even beyond those given by their roles as dominant sea traders. But there were also close with several sultanates on Borneo. And there's still the possibility that the Moro ancestors brought keris with them when colonizing the archipelago.

Quote:
I come across this website sometime ago and noticed that the sword used in the installation ceremony in the Gowa kingdom in South Sulawesi is a Sundang.
AFAIK, a Sundang doesn't necessarily refer to a Keris Sundang aka Kris but could be some other kind of (straight) sword. This also limits the interpretation of Woodwards account if there is no other supporting evidence. Is there an indigenous word for Keris Sundang in Buginese/Makassarese?

Quote:
This makes me think, the bugis priced sundang's quite highly if it is used in the installation ceremony, not just merely a weapon. A weapon appreciated like that most probably originated from their own culture.
Quite a few royal heirlooms seem to have originated from outside the respective kingdoms if I recall correctly.

Quote:
Perhaps it is the Bugis that introduced the sundang to Philiphines. Like Leaf said, they dispersed throughout the archipelago in late 17th C and surely brought their weapon with them.
This might be one of the factors for its distribution over the Riau region and other northern Malay areas. However, trade (which demonstrably included blades) might be a more pervasive (and much older) power in dispersing weapons of status. So, any provenanced, old non-Moro pieces available for public view?

Quote:
Is it possibble that the Moro adopted the bugis sundang as their weapon in the 18thC?
IIRC, Mabagani thinks that the evolution of the Kris in Moroland predates the Bugis diaspora. Could you please elaborate?

Quote:
There are examples of sundangs owned by the sultan of Perak and Terengganu which has a high Moro taste. The pictures are attached below.
Thanks, Rasdan! Is there additional info which would allow to date these pieces better than by reign period (most conservative assumption)?

Regards,
Kai
Old 25th October 2005, 03:34 PM   #24
MABAGANI

If the sword were secure to a hilt, you could try a test cuts, it should slice cleanly like a cutting sword if its sharp and holds an edge.
I'm going to let the evolution thing rest again, there are plenty of early influences culturally and within the variations of keris themselves to say the kris could have come from different origins but to pinpoint one without any decent examples and repeating an unfounded theory doesn't hold well. Early kris from Mindanao and Sulu have regional markers that held for centuries even to the present day where one can state the territory they were made.
Old 26th October 2005, 03:10 AM   #25
rasdan

Hi all,

I'm not sure how it is treated, but i guess with the ordinary sour coconut water. I'm afraid the pctures are the only info i have at the moment. I'll try searching in aome other literature. As for the origin etc, i metioned earlier that i lack knowledge of this weapon and my statement above is more a question than a theory. I have no idea if the theory has been discussed previously..hmm.. I probably had missed it. Btw, I think i'll give a test after this to determine if it is tempered or not. Thanks for the opinion and advice guys..

Regards,
Rasdan
Old 26th October 2005, 04:46 AM   #26
Battara
EAAF Staff

Say, Rasdan, where did the scans come from?
Old 26th October 2005, 06:58 AM   #27
rasdan

I starting to feel that theres too much "hi".. hehe.. Anyway.. Hi Jose..

Its from a book published by the Malaysian Handicraft Authority. If i'm not mistaken, the kerisses are in the Malaysian National Museum, but they dont put it on dispay at the moment.

Regards,
Rasdan