Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 14th December 2019, 05:45 PM   #1
Bob A

Default N.African knife for comment

Picked this up at the monthly MACA meeting. GI bringback from WWII, North African theater, by a soldier in 1st Infantry Division. (Resonated with me as my father was also in NA, 5th Army)
Attached Images

Bob A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2019, 06:02 PM   #2
Kubur

Hi
Have a look at this post
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=khodmi
They are called khodmi or Bou Saidi from Algeria.
Yours is probably from 1930-1940ties
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2019, 07:13 PM   #3
Bob A

Thank you for your reply and ID.

I seem to have failed to post a photo of what seems to be a date; however, some of the numerals confuse me.
Attached Images

Old 19th December 2019, 01:17 AM   #4
RobT

Default Symbol ID

Hi All,

I have a number of khodmi with the symbol shown in the first blade close-up. The symbol looks like a pair of fish aligned tail to tail. Does anyone have any idea what the symbol means? By the way Bob A, nice khodmi. I have always thought that they are the best engineered, general purpose knives ever made. They are very sturdy and can be easily field repaired if the hilt comes loose from the blade.

Sincerely,
RobT
RobT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2019, 05:30 AM   #5
Bob A

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobT
Hi All,

I have a number of khodmi with the symbol shown in the first blade close-up. The symbol looks like a pair of fish aligned tail to tail. Does anyone have any idea what the symbol means? By the way Bob A, nice khodmi. I have always thought that they are the best engineered, general purpose knives ever made. They are very sturdy and can be easily field repaired if the hilt comes loose from the blade.

Sincerely,
RobT
Thanks for the compliment, Rob, even though it rightfully belongs to the knife and its maker.

Close observation of the symbols you mention lead me to believe that they were probably made with the same stamp; the difference in appearance is due to the fact that one set had the stamps pushed together, and the other set had the stampings more separated.

I've been trying to figure out the date; it seems as though the first symbol is a "1", the third is possibly a "4". If I had to guessm the other two are either 2 or 3. I think that we can safely go with a guess of "3", making the date 1343, which converst to 1923 or 1924.

Does a date of 1924 seem reasonable for this knife?