Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th June 2009, 01:31 AM   #1
KuKulzA28

Default my new old katar!

Today I received the Katar I bought. I think I got what I paid for... seems like a simple "armory" type so I doubt wootz will suddenly appear under the rust... To my untrained eye it looks like it is one solid piece of metal and has a swollen armor-piercing tip. It fits my hand, though just a little bit tight. It's rusty, but I like the overall shape, and it seems strong. There is a curious hole at the base of the blade. Two fullers(?) can be seen on each side.

I'm wondering...
What can you guys tell me about this katar?
Is there anything remarkable about it?
Would it be a good idea to "restore it" or leave it rusty?
Perhaps if I decide it should be "restored" I'd ask a master to add koftgari after it's cleaned... making a prince out of a pauper... but that would be too hasty, I'd like to learn more about this guy first. It could possibly be a well-made fake antique or just a rusty old "commoner" piece, but I'm pretty excited nonetheless... one of the first "antiques" I've ever had.
Attached Images

KuKulzA28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 03:16 AM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Would it be a good idea to "restore it" or leave it rusty?[/QUOTE]
I think these are 2 different questions. I personally don't think it is ever a good idea to leave something rusty as the rust will just continue to eat away at the iron. Restoration usually involves a bit more than mere rust removal though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuKulzA28
Perhaps if I decide it should be "restored" I'd ask a master to add koftgari after it's cleaned... making a prince out of a pauper... but that would be too hasty, I'd like to learn more about this guy first. It could possibly be a well-made fake antique or just a rusty old "commoner" piece, but I'm pretty excited nonetheless... one of the first "antiques" I've ever had.
Well i doubt it's a fake. There's not much of a mark up to be made making a fake katar of this type. It's just not rare enough to command the money a forger would need to make it worth his while.
Personally i would not add koftgari to a piece that never had any. Seems somehow dishonest to the katar.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 04:46 AM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Nice katar, and of well represented form well known in northern regions of Indian from the northwest frontier to Punjab and New Delhi, but most likely Rajasthan, and 19th century style. As you have observed, it is more of an arsenal type weapon and wootz is unlikely.

These weapons when well patinated, should be treated with respect and any active rust stabilized, I am against removing patina and personally detest the often seen overcleaning seen too often on well aged old weapons. The quickest way to destroy the integrity of a weapon is to overclean it, especially to a garish polish (my opinion).

These weapons are imbued with history, and should not be overcleaned or embellished. Restoration should be limited to structural refurbishing as required and kept conservative. It seems like the rust on this katar is relatively superficial, just stabilize with some gun oil or light oil.

Congratulations Kukulz, nice example, and thank you for sharing it

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 04:51 AM   #4
sandeepsingh

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Would it be a good idea to "restore it" or leave it rusty?
I think these are 2 different questions. I personally don't think it is ever a good idea to leave something rusty as the rust will just continue to eat away at the iron. Restoration usually involves a bit more than mere rust removal though.

Well i doubt it's a fake. There's not much of a mark up to be made making a fake katar of this type. It's just not rare enough to command the money a forger would need to make it worth his while.
Personally i would not add koftgari to a piece that never had any. Seems somehow dishonest to the katar.
I don't think so its fake katar , I think Kukulz you should cleaned the katar it might have wootz blade
sandeepsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 03:56 PM   #5
KuKulzA28

Thanks for the observations and advice guys!

I'll get to work to clean this blade of its rust. I know it doesn't have koftgari and probably not a wootz blade, and wasn't owned by Shivaji or Guru Amar Das... but I like it. It's simplicity is elegant and it's elegance is simple... but rusty.

Just curious, what type of rust remover would you guys suggest?
I have WD40, but I don't know if that would be appropriate.

Again, thanks.
Old 24th June 2009, 07:49 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuKulzA28
Thanks for the observations and advice guys!

I'll get to work to clean this blade of its rust. I know it doesn't have koftgari and probably not a wootz blade, and wasn't owned by Shivaji or Guru Amar Das... but I like it. It's simplicity is elegant and it's elegance is simple... but rusty.

Just curious, what type of rust remover would you guys suggest?
I have WD40, but I don't know if that would be appropriate.

Again, thanks.

WD-40 is what I always used on weapons, its mild and cleans without removing patination, the gun oil stays on as protective against future active rust.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 08:32 PM   #7
KuKulzA28

Will do!
Old 24th June 2009, 08:40 PM   #8
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Exclamation

Soak the entire piece in pineapple juice ... seriously !
Scrub with a non abrasive brush every day; let soak until rust is gone .

DO NOT attempt to grind off the rust .

First rule:
Do no harm .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 10:13 PM   #9
KuKulzA28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Soak the entire piece in pineapple juice ... seriously !
Scrub with a non abrasive brush every day; let soak until rust is gone .

DO NOT attempt to grind off the rust .

First rule:
Do no harm .
Pineapple juice? Are you serious?

So a small tub of pineapple juice, soak it entirely, and scrub a bit everyday, and keep it soaked in between until it's all gone... what do I do with the stickiness of the juice?

What's the advantage of pineapple over WD40? Gentler on the metal?

Cause I have WD-40, but pineapple.. I'll have to go buy one... which wouldn't be a bad thing except I'd have to squeeze out the juice and eat dried pineapple... OR buy pineapple juice (presumably with no additives?).
Old 24th June 2009, 10:52 PM   #10
ward

It is a acid any similar acid will do. look in the kitchen any citrus will do the same thing. lemon,lime, kiwi, etc
ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 11:51 PM   #11
Sajen

I use lemon acid and a brass scrubber carefully. Pineapple is more soft.
sajen
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2009, 02:27 AM   #12
KuKulzA28

I'll think it over, and whichever solution I use...
I'll definitely proceed with care and caution.
I'll post photo up when it is clean of the rust.
Old 25th June 2009, 03:13 AM   #13
ward

This is pretty basic chemistry. The strength of the acid and the concentrate of it are what make the difference. The same acids that are taking off the rust can be used to etch just takes a while. Other ones to play with are vinegar,wostershire sauce,ketchup,urine. As long as the mix stays away from oxygen it will work. Another thing that is a good idea after a acid wash is done is to soak the metal in a oil. Olive oil is a good one to let it soak in for a few weeks and then clean it and wax it.
ward is offline   Reply With Quote