Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th August 2005, 05:18 AM   #1
Aurangzeb

Default Saudi Arabian weapons!

Hello All!

I just got this very nice set of a Mecca jambiya and belt witha nice saif and balderic off of Ebay. Does anyone know what the materials used might be(gold or brass). Or what the function of these might be such as cerimonial, for they seem a notch above tourist pieces although I may be wrong I won't know for sure until I get them in the mail. Any coments are welcome and wanted.

Mark...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1
Aurangzeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2005, 08:52 AM   #2
Yannis

In my eyes there are recent mass production. If there is any quality you will find as soon as you get them. But the price is very good even for tourist pieces. An authentic antique set like this could cost at least 30 times more.
Yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2005, 12:34 AM   #3
RSWORD

They will make nice display pieces and you really can't go wrong for the price you paid for them. As far as materials, I have seen a few quite similar to these examples. On the Saif, the handle will be plastic and the guard and mounts are a gold washed mix metal that is a bit on the light side. The blade is probably plated or chromed and not tempered. I think a lot of these were made to sell to various folks working oil in Saudia Arabia back in the 70's and 80's.
RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2005, 01:20 AM   #4
Aurangzeb

Hello all!

Thanks for the quick responses on my Saudi Arabian set. I think this set will go nice with my Saudi Arabian flage and coins from around the same period as the sword and dagger. I will post pick when I get the set and get it into a display. Is this meatal mix rust resistant and does the chrome and gold wash wear off quickly (because I know geusts will want to toch the display)?

Mark...
Old 19th August 2005, 01:23 AM   #5
Aurangzeb

Default Bad news!!!!!!!!

Hi All!

Today I got the set in the mail I like them verrty much they arte in good condition but UPS say fit to play football vith the set in it's box. It even looks like someone bent the saif over there knee!The blade and scabbard are bent almost in half thank heavens I was able to staighten it. The dagger survived tyhe best for it's small size.

Mark...
Old 20th August 2005, 03:04 PM   #6
M.carter

Hello All,

Sorry to put you off Aurangzeb but what you have here wasnt even made in Saudi Arabia, these swords and daggers were and still are made in Syria for export to countries such as S.Arabia, Kuwait, Bahrain and Qatar, they are for tourists, but mostly for sword dances.

As RSWORD has said, the blades are usually not heat treated, though some are. Be careful with the hilt, as it probably is fixed with plaster, though I find a way to make some excellent beaters out of these swords.
M.carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2005, 03:39 PM   #7
Aurangzeb

Hi M.carter!

What you just told me chould not be better news! So this was not a terrible loss thanks to the U.P.S. slaughter house.
Old 20th August 2005, 04:18 PM   #8
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Welcome back Mr. Carter , you've been too long away .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote