Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 7th May 2014, 04:55 PM   #1
CharlesS

Default Interesting Tulwar Sword With Ottoman Turkish Blade

Many of you that have known me over the years know that I LOVE blades that show cross cultural influences from the infinite possibilities that came with the diverse Islamic trade routes.

Here is one I have just acquired that is both of great quality and quite unique.

Here we have a heavy, double knuckle guard tulwar hilt set with a clearly Ottoman blade of "kilij" or "pala" form forged of Ottoman pattern welded steel in a fashion known as "Turkish Ribbon". The blade has an inscription in English reading "Baroda State" with a European style monogram. This is clearly no randomly put together piece, with great thought going into the fit and size of the hilt in relationship to the blade and balance. It is clear it has all been together with its original (and very worn) scabbard for some time.

The history of the Baroda State(present day Vadodara) is very interesting...a part of Gujarat, once independent from the Moghuls, the state kept a close and friendly relationship with the British. In some cases, like education, etc. the state seems to have tried to "out British the British", clearly heavily influenced by them. Their partially Persian made navy was even allied with the British in several engagements.

Though majority Hindu, Baroda State seems to have been very tolerant religiously, clearly trading with the Muslim world and the British among others. This sword would clearly show the influence of such trade.

I bought this blade not sure if it had a pattern or not, as it was polished bright...but I had a suspicion that it did. I tried to etch it myself only to watch the clear Turkish ribbon pattern fade out before my eyes. Knowing it needed a professional's touch, I sent it to Philip Tom for a little "magic and special recipes". The pattern came out in brownish tint, but stayed put, not fading out. I have seen other Turkish ribbon blades that show this same brownish hue, but clearly define the pattern.

Dimensions:

Overall length: 34in.
Blade length: 29.5in.
Widest point of the blade at the base of the yelman: 2in.

Comments or additional info is, naturally, welcomed!
Attached Images

Last edited by CharlesS; 7th May 2014 at 07:19 PM.
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote