Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 6th June 2017, 09:02 PM   #1
AKay

Smile Koummya for comment

Hi All,

I am new to the forum.
Just bought my first Koummya and first piece in my collection!

I believe it is a real deal and not a tourist piece.
That is what i would like to confirm here please.
The blade is 9"
Hilt is 6"
Scabbard is 11"

I cannot see any hall markings on the scabbard, nor can i see any marking/ stamps on the blade....
However there are some numbers possibly dates?

I have been trawling through the archive forums and can see that there is real wealth of knowledge on here and a great bunch of people.
Look forward to your comments.
Attached Images

AKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2017, 06:27 AM   #2
motan

Hi and welcome to this forum. My knowledge of koummiyas is limited, so you will have to wait for the real experts. However, it is clear that this is a very high quality work. Too good to be a tourist item. The silver engraving is esthetically very nice and of high quality. The blade is good. Lack of marks is not a problem because in most cases, engraving on the blade would mean Europeanblade or post 1900 blade, probably for tourists.
There are two questions that will determine if this is a very good piece or an excellent and rare piece. First, the material of the hilt. It appears to be rhinoceros horn, but the color is much darker that in most koummyia. A close-up photo could help, but only microscopic examination could provide definitive answer. Rhino horn was used only in the very best pieces.
Second, there a number on the scabbard which could be a date. The number is 1144, where the first 1 is stylized. 1144 is 1731/2. I have never seen a koummiya from the 1700', so I doubt this, but if correct, it would make your koummiya a truely outstanding piece. Anyway, this particular type has been imitated and reproduced by the thousands, so you must have a keen eye, a lot of luck, or both to choose this particular one.
motan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2017, 07:15 AM   #3
Kubur

Hi,

It's an excellent koummiya, probably from the end of 19th c.
With a silver proof mark (the numbers).
Never worn, of course.
Despite a good blade, this dagger was never used.

Good catch
Kubur
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2017, 02:56 PM   #4
AKay

Thanks both for your reply and info.
I think it is a wooden as the guy i bought it from stated it was.
He did have a Rhino hilted Koummya but was very expensive and i liked the piece i bought better...

Was thinking of cleaning the blade, what are peoples thoughts on doing that?
Old 7th June 2017, 07:06 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Akay, welcome to our forum!!! It is always exciting when someone who has been visiting a long time finally comes in, and especially nice entrance with this beautifully done koummya.
While I certainly cannot claim any special knowledge on these, I have learned a bit from those who frequent here that do, and Motan has made excellent observations most helpfully explained.

As Kubur has noted, the number seen in the scabbard is probably a proof mark, which if I understand correctly warrants the silver content rather than a hall mark which provides maker and year of make.

The blade on this seems to have some age, contrary to these fine mounts, and is of the traditional koummya profile and features. I agree this is too finely executed to be a souk item, and seems more likely made for a person of standing or means. While perhaps not worn, at least not much, these remain traditional accoutrements much as with the khanjhar in other Arab contexts. Actually it seems these are regarded as a Maghrebi form of khanjhar from what I have understood in some discussions.

Again, I agree with Motan, you do seem to have a most discerning eye!
Thank you for sharing this with us.

Best regards
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2017, 11:20 PM   #6
Oliver Pinchot

The numerals on the scabbard are a dating peculiar to Morocco.
They reflect a hijri date, but expressed in European digits:
133[0] 1330 = 1911/12
Oliver Pinchot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2017, 01:12 AM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Pinchot
133[0] 1330 = 1911/12
Thank you Oliver!
I am wondering, given this is a date system rather than a silver proof mark, perhaps this may have been a significant year/date, for the furbishing of this koummya.
Without going into a great deal of complexity, in 1911, there was a rebellion in Morocco against the Sultan Abdelhafid, apparently involving certain geopolitical conflicts involving France and Germany. Ultimately, the Sultan abdicated in 1912, also giving de facto control of Morocco to France.

This may be an item commemorating events in these events in 1911/12, I believe historically referred to as the Agadir Crisis.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2017, 07:58 PM   #8
AKay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Pinchot
133[0] 1330 = 1911/12
Hi Oliver

i looked into the numerals and actually the "European numerals" are actually arabic numerals and originate from the maghrib region, see link below very interesting:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_numerals