Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th August 2014, 05:24 PM   #1
blue lander

Default A hunting dagger? I have no idea

I just bought this, it was too weird to pass up. I don't know whether to post it in the Euro or Ethnographic section, so apologies if I posted in the wrong place.

Most of the bits and pieces all look European saber/briquet/bayonet parts to me, but it looks like it was repurposed by some other culture. The taper of the blade is very strange, it looks like it's been sharpened down many times over the years. The cross guard looks like it was cut down or broken, but it's impossible to tell from the picture. I'm not sure what to make of that finger ring either.

It's 60 cm long. The seller described it as a hunting dagger.
Attached Images

blue lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2014, 06:48 PM   #2
drac2k

If the cross guard were longer(and you think it was), it looks like a Colonial Mexican espada. Great piece !
drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2014, 06:51 PM   #3
blue lander

Thank you. I was just looking at the Espada Ancha thread and noticed some very similar looking swords. This one posted by Robert has a double sided blade and the cross guard is longer, but otherwise looks somewhat similar.

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=6235

This thread has some similar "central american dirks" too

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...4&page=1&pp=30
Attached Images

Last edited by blue lander; 14th August 2014 at 07:04 PM.
Old 3rd September 2014, 06:00 PM   #4
blue lander

It arrived today. It doesn't look like it used to have a longer crossguard that snapped, it looks like it was just made this way. There's a small panel nailed to the hilt that seems to be made out of plastic or horn that looks like a repair. The blade's fairly thin, thinner than I'd expect an old bayonet blade to be. It's got a couple deep cuts in the edge towards the ricasso, perhaps from parrying a blow, and the tip of the blade is completely bent over. I don't see any marks on the ricasso or spine, or anywhere else for that matter.
Attached Images

Old 3rd September 2014, 07:36 PM   #5
Andrew

I would be extremely surprised if the quillions were not, originally, longer. I think drac2k hit it the first time--Mexican espada.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote