Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th February 2014, 01:28 PM   #1
Lee
EAAF Staff

Question Fraternal? sword from Lepanto, Philippines

Received in my e-mail:
Quote:
Hope you can help me identify the origin of this sword which I inherited from our grandparents. It was actually found burried in their backyard in Lepanto, Philippines. here below are the photos, thanks.
Attached Images

Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2014, 03:23 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Interesting. Definitely looks like a lodge sword of some sort. Better photos would help ID some of the letters, which i am finding a little hard to read (PAO maybe?), but they may just be the initials or magickal name of the owner of the initials of the name of the order (Pilippines _______ Order). But that is definitely the well known Masonic sign of the compass & ruler on one side and what appears to be the tetragammaton in the triangle with emanating rays on the other, which is a common magickal symbol for ceremonial magickal lodges like the Golden Dawn, the O.T.O. and the Masons. The pommel also has a 5-pointed star that can certainly be seen as a pentagram in conjunction with the other symbols on the sword.
I don't know of any of the more hardcore magickal lodges operating in the Philippines (though secret organizations often remain, well, secret ), but there is quite a history of Masonic Lodge activity there so this seems most likely.
It would be nice if they could restore it more and take some better photos. Seems like a nice find.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2014, 05:39 AM   #3
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Lee, With it having the compass and square (with star) on one side of the guard and the pyramid (with letters?) on the other. Add to that the star on the pommel, and I would say that this is definitely a Masonic sword, and because of the waved/flame blade a Tyler's sword. I've cleaned up the photos the best that I could. Hopefully there is someone here on the forum that can explain the meaning of the symbols in the pyramid. Nice sword. I hope that this is of some help.

Best,
Robert
Attached Images

Last edited by Robert; 19th February 2014 at 06:30 AM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2014, 06:08 AM   #4
David
Keris forum moderator

Robert, i believe the letters in the triangle are Hebrew and you have oriented them upside down in your reposting of the image.
Attached Images

Last edited by David; 19th February 2014 at 06:26 AM.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2014, 06:51 AM   #5
Robert
EAAF Staff

Photo with orientation correction added. From google search for INRI below.
Attached Images

Last edited by Robert; 19th February 2014 at 07:03 AM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote