Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 28th September 2014, 04:39 PM   #1
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default Lao daab-probably 18th C

This nice Lao daab finished recently on eBay.
Attached Images

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2014, 08:35 PM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

I like this. It seems an older style and bronze. Am I right?
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2014, 09:33 PM   #3
Sajen

Hello Ian,

nice dha/daab, was on my watch list as well. The seller stated that the handle is from brass when I remember correct. What make it a Lao dha?

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2014, 01:09 AM   #4
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Detlef and Jose:

What makes this a Lao daab? There are a few distinguishing features. First is the unusually long hilt relative to the blade--the hilt-to-blade ratio can be close to one for Lao daab. We do see long hilts on some Thai daab, but generally not to the extent on Lao swords. Those Thai swords that have a similar hilt-to-blade ratio of almost one may have been made in the remote past by Lao brought back as prisoners, and over time the Thai seemed to have adopted some of the Lao characteristics into their daab.

Secondly, the style of blade with a hatchet-like point is fairly typical of Lao work (including those who live in the northernmost areas of Thailand) and has been carried on by the Montagnard who inhabit the upland areas in these regions.

This piece seems too refined to be from one of the Montagnard groups. The hilt is brass or bronze with intricate scroll work and other designs, and has a finely made lattice work grip. The Lao were very proficient in working bronze and brass, and hilts featuring these alloys were commonly found on 18th/19th C pieces.

What makes this 18th C? The main feature here is the hilt which resembles Ayutthaya hilts of that period and earlier. The slim handle with an elongated lotus bud pommel and a bell-like flaring adjacent to the blade is very reminiscent of Ayutthaya daab found in Thai museums and dated to the 17th and 18th C. This daab also has a small guard--a feature more commonly found with Lao daab than Thai swords of the 18th and 19th C. All this said, it is possible that the sword could be of later manufacture (perhaps second half of the 19th C) but in a style harking back to an earlier period.

Overall, it appears to be a well preserved piece in essentially untouched condition. Sadly for me, my bid was insufficient. I hope it went to someone here and they will post better pics.

Ian.
Old 29th September 2014, 03:05 AM   #5
Battara
EAAF Staff

Ayutthaya - that's the term I was looking for (forgot how to spell it). Yes I knew it was an older style. Thanks for posting this and for the background.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2014, 07:32 AM   #6
Sajen

Thank you Ian!
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2014, 06:38 PM   #7
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default Another example

This one also finished on eBay in the last week. It is probably from about the same era. Unfortunately part of the hilt is missing so we don't know how long it would have been originally. Both have bronze/brass hilts with some similar elements (e.g., the scrolled wire loops) typical of Lao work. I was also outbid for this one.
Attached Images

Old 30th September 2014, 09:46 PM   #8
Andrew

Thumbs up

Great stuff, Ian. Thanks for posting.

I have had a few of this style pass through my hands (and may have one still in storage). I am firmly in the late 19th century "camp." The wear and age of the materials, in hand, doesn't have indicia of 18th century items.

More likely, in my estimation, to be a Laotian "revival" of the Ayutthaya-Thai style swords from the second half of the Kingdom (15th-18th century).

Andrew
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote