Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th February 2006, 03:20 PM   #1
Justin

Default Opinions on new kampilan hilt

I bought this blade and scabbard from ebay and recently finished the hilt I made for it,I hope its at least a fair aproximation of a Moro hilt,let me know what you think.

The blade shows some really odd lamination {yes I etched it},inserted edge?You cant see it in the pics but you can see some very faint linear patterns in person over the more gray colored areas of the blade ,it may be linear damascus over a different type of core steel.

Im guessing the blade to be early 20th century ,the blade from guard to tip measures 32 7/8in.

The last pic is of the contributers of the hair.
Attached Images

Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2006, 03:33 PM   #2
nechesh

Admirable job Justin. It certainly is in the spirit of Moro tradition, even if it is not as detailed as an original hilt would be. You mightb want to consider a rattan wrap on the handle section.
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2006, 10:39 PM   #3
Bill

I don't think that is "odd lamination"; but deep rust, that shows with etching. I've noticed that after rust has been cleaned and you try to etch a non-laminated blade; you'll get those spots (where the rust was).
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2006, 02:24 PM   #4
Justin

Nechesh:
Thanks,there were a few things that didnt work out as well as Id hoped.The first being that the only 'original' hilt I was able to examine in person was a WW2 era piece,much bulkier than the older ones and since I used it to get a feel for the proportions on this one it ended up being a little hefty.That being said the grip is a little too thick to wrap {I had considered it},maybe I could find some very thin wire that wouldnt add too much more bulk.

I wanted to put more carving into the pommel but being a very inexperienced wood carver meant that every cut was a risk and I finally decided to quit while I was ahead.

Bill:I am sure this is lamination, this blade has numerous small forging flaws where welds didnt catch and it wasnt rusted too badly when I got it.There was some scattered areas of light pitting but none was really deep,the darker areas of the blade are very smooth and are also in the same spots on the face of the blade on both sides.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote