Old 9th September 2008, 09:12 PM   #1
celtan

Default Miguelete

FYP

celtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 01:51 AM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Beautiful photography and a magnificent piece! To me there is nothing like such perfect patination and nice shots of the crisp markings.
Thank you Manuel Luis!

My knowledge on firearms is pretty limited, and I have often been intrigued by the term 'miguelet' as opposed to flintlock. Is there a short version of how the two differ? References I have seen note the term arose during the war in the Peninsula with British troops referring to the style of musket/fusil used by the militia (=miguelet) there.

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 10th September 2008 at 04:13 AM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 02:33 PM   #3
celtan

Thanks for the kind words, Jim.

There were several kinds of locks in use in Europe in the 18-19th C. :The French "A la mode", the similar British Lock, the Snaphaunce, and the Spanish Miguelete (aka A La Madrid, A la Romana, and A la Espanola) were the most common.

The Miguelete lock differs mostly in its use of a strong external spring. If you look at its outside, you'll see a long shear spring, when others have two apparent. This lock was extremely strong and reliable, it was said that you could get sparks even without a flint. Of course, it's an exaggeration, but you get the idea...

The Miguelete was used by both civilians and the military, and survived well into the mid 19th C., also being used in percussion guns. Both french and spanish type locks were used in Spain, sometimes concurrently.

I'm currently using a reproduction of a Spanish M1782-91 fusil for reenacting purposes, and It sports a miguelete lock. The truth is that while my friends Charlevilles and Besses often misfire, mine never has...

Best

M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Beautiful photography and a magnificent piece! To me there is nothing like such perfect patination and nice shots of the crisp markings.
Thank you Manuel Luis!

My knowledge on firearms is pretty limited, and I have often been intrigued by the term 'miguelet' as opposed to flintlock. Is there a short version of how the two differ? References I have seen note the term arose during the war in the Peninsula with British troops referring to the style of musket/fusil used by the militia (=miguelet) there.
Old 10th September 2008, 07:51 PM   #4
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Not to forget one of the names under which this system was so muck known: de patilha (wedge ?) in allusion to a safety part that held the action cocked.
Fernando
Attached Images

Last edited by fernando; 10th September 2008 at 08:09 PM. Reason: correction
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 08:07 PM   #5
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
... References I have seen note the term arose during the war in the Peninsula with British troops referring to the style of musket/fusil used by the militia (=miguelet) there.
Hi Jim,
That was so, at a later stage. Indeed Miquelete comes from the Catalonian Miquelet, name atributed in this region to the mountain infantry, which came from the name of one of his first leaders, Miquelot de Prats, later becoming extensive to all Catalonian volunteers listed in time of war.In 1808 the Spanish new unit of volunteers in Catalonian provinces ( Barcelona, Tarragona, Lérida and Gerona) was named Tercios de Miqueletes, and his flag was black, whit the number of the Tercio. In 1810 the Miqueletes were transformed in " Legiones Catalanas".
Later came the calling of Miquelete to the patilha system and after to the guys or and weapons that showed up in the Peninsular war, alocated to the Portuguese side, and so called by the Brits.
Fernando
Old 10th September 2008, 09:00 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Outstanding information Manuel Luis and Fernando!! Thank you both for going into some detail on these. While I have heard the term so many times, my very superficial knowledge of firearms only acknowledged the term without understanding the meaning. I have always been focused on the study of swords, so its really great to be learning more on arms overall!!

Thank you guys!!!

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 09:40 PM   #7
celtan

Hi Fernando,

The local catalonian police are also affectionately known in the mountain villages as the mozos, or migueletes. Patilla (lit. small leg) is also another term used for sideburns. If you lookt at the spring -shear, it has the same shape as the long sideburns used in 17-18th century Spain, specially among the commoners.

Best

Manolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Hi Jim,
That was so, at a later stage. Indeed Miquelete comes from the Catalonian Miquelet, name atributed in this region to the mountain infantry, which came from the name of one of his first leaders, Miquelot de Prats, later becoming extensive to all Catalonian volunteers listed in time of war.In 1808 the Spanish new unit of volunteers in Catalonian provinces ( Barcelona, Tarragona, Lérida and Gerona) was named Tercios de Miqueletes, and his flag was black, whit the number of the Tercio. In 1810 the Miqueletes were transformed in " Legiones Catalanas".
Later came the calling of Miquelete to the patilha system and after to the guys or and weapons that showed up in the Peninsular war, alocated to the Portuguese side, and so called by the Brits.
Fernando
Old 10th September 2008, 10:32 PM   #8
fernando

Right, Manolo. I stand corrected. I have known about this ... i was blocked . We still use the term for sideburns over here.
Amazingly the cocking wedge, as a generic part, can also be considered a patilha in Portuguese, therefore the misguidance.
So sorry.
fernando
Attached Images

Last edited by fernando; 10th September 2008 at 10:38 PM. Reason: missing picture
Old 10th September 2008, 11:54 PM   #9
celtan

No Fernando, no corrections at all! Just adding to what you said. Take care...

Apertas,

Manolo

: )

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Right, Manolo. I stand corrected. I have known about this ... i was blocked . We still use the term for sideburns over here.
Amazingly the cocking wedge, as a generic part, can also be considered a patilha in Portuguese, therefore the misguidance.
So sorry.
fernando
Old 11th September 2008, 06:17 AM   #10
Gonzalo G

I think this weapon is indeed a "trabuco naranjero", isn´t it Manuel? It works as a shootgun, I suppose.
Saludos

Gonzalo
Gonzalo G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2008, 01:27 PM   #11
celtan

Hi Gonzalo,

I also think its a "naranjero". They called it that way because they were supossed to spit bullets the size of naranjas (oranges). Instead, they usually fired grapeshot, but not in the wide pattern that the shape of the muzzle seems to suggest. The real advantage of the wide muzzle is that it was really easy to load on the run. The short length allowed better manipulation of the weapon in close quarters, such as aboard a ship, a stage-coach, or even walking around in a congested plaza. Fernando brought us a pic of one sporting a belt hook.

I imagine its owner pants used to look like modern low-riders.. When I carry around my pistol during reenactments, I gotta be careful I don't end up showing my underoos. Those things were kinda heavy...

Old 11th September 2008, 03:23 PM   #12
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtan
... When I carry around my pistol during reenactments, I gotta be careful I don't end up showing my underoos. Those things were kinda heavy...

Old 11th September 2008, 04:30 PM   #13
celtan

Smile

Underoos: old fashion term for underwear