Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th August 2015, 04:36 AM   #1
Rafngard

Default A wounded warrior for comment, Sumatra Klewang/Pedang

Hello All,

A recent purchase from a fellow forum member, via ebay. I'm told it's late 19th century/early 20th.

As can be seen the blade, while nice and long, has seen better days, with some deep, deep pitting. It is also loose, and though it's hard to see in the photos, seems to be rotated about 15 degrees out of being in line with the blade. The pommel is also missing a chunk, I suspect insects.

Any tips of preservation? So far I've gone over the blade with soap and water, a scrub brush, obsessively dried it, drenched it in wd-40, let it dry for 24 hours, and applied mineral oil.

Also, is there any good way to tell if a blade is secured with a traditional damar/beeswax/filler mix verses a modern apoxy? What's there doesn't quite look like what I see on the Moro pieces I have, but as I understand, it wouldn't be the same stuff anyway. I've tried to get pictures of it. When in contact with a damp paper towel, the towel came back slightly green, I'd like to correct the blade looseness if possible.

Am I correct in thinking it's very difficult to determine which specific culture in Sumatra produced this old warrior? My readings in the forum's archives seem to suggest that to be the case.

As always, any and all comments are appreciated.

Have fun,
Leif
Attached Images

Rafngard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2015, 04:38 AM   #2
Rafngard

Default ...and a few more pics

And a few more pics
Attached Images

Old 14th August 2015, 01:09 PM   #3
Sajen

It's may has been once a nice sword but the time has left a relict only. Here three better examples: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=pedang
I don't see any chance to restore it, the formerly nice handle is eaten away from time and animals and the blade is badly pitted. I wouldn't spend any time with it, sorry!
This pedang could be from Lombok as well, I am unsure.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2015, 04:03 PM   #4
Rafngard

Thank you for the honest assessment. I appreciate the candor.

So I know for the future, any idea on what's holding the blade in?

Thanks,
Leif
Old 14th August 2015, 04:53 PM   #5
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafngard
Thank you for the honest assessment. I appreciate the candor.

So I know for the future, any idea on what's holding the blade in?

Thanks,
Leif
Hi Leif,

I think it's better to speak an open word, thank you for understanding.
It will be some sort of natural resin or a mix of natural stuff with a great portion of resin. When you heat the blade carefully you would be able to turn the handle in the correct direction.

One note when it is allowed. I don't have the money for high end pieces and I am happy with good representatives of a blade but I look always for complete or restorable pieces.

Regards,
Detlef
Old 20th August 2015, 10:33 PM   #6
Rafngard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
I think it's better to speak an open word, thank you for understanding.
I agree. This seems to be common among Germans, and probably part of why I tend to like them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
One note when it is allowed. I don't have the money for high end pieces and I am happy with good representatives of a blade but I look always for complete or restorable pieces.
Yes, I think that is a good idea. I'm still a very new collector, I am probably more eager than discerning.

As for this old, beat-up pedang, I do love it. Which is probably the important part.

Thanks,
Leif
Old 20th August 2015, 11:23 PM   #7
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafngard
As for this old, beat-up pedang, I do love it. Which is probably the important part.
This is indeed important.

Regards,
Detlef
Old 21st August 2015, 12:51 AM   #8
David
Keris forum moderator

...or you could take the approach that this would be a great blade to practice restoration on. I mean, it's not like you are likely to make this blade much worse than it is by your efforts and you might actually improve it's look somewhat.
It looks to me that it is a pamor blade. If it were mine i might try to detect the hilt and clean the blade with fruit acid baths and a good scrubbing and try to stain it with warangan (arsenic and lime). It looks like it might have a very interesting pattern and if you could raise that it would most likely improve the appearance of the sword.
I don't think there is much restoration to be done with the hilt. At least it has maintained it's general shape. I think your best bet there is simply to oil it and do your best to preserve what is left.
David is offline   Reply With Quote