Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th December 2011, 05:59 PM   #1
Tim Simmons

Thumbs up Kukukuku club

I am try pictures from a new set up so it might be some time before all is revealed.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2011, 07:20 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

I was trying out an ipad {a desirable thing but in some ways quite a dissapointment} that I teated myself to. The picture management system on this site does not work with an ipad and it is taking me too long to find a way to upload to web sites so I have gone back to the desk PC.

What I want to show is this Kukukuku club really quite simple but still rather cool. This is not your polished Oceanic club. I might say that perhaps there is a lot less of them around. 930g and 90cm long the head diameter 10cm. The inside cut away area of the head has a clay like wash or painted surface.
It came to me from Germany and as a collector I would like to think that it could well have been collected during the German colonial period ending 1914. The Kukukuku live in an area that was part of the Anglo-German border now the Morobe province. I believe the Germans had the larger part of Kukukuku territory. It came to me with the usual auction sticky label marks which I hate. I do not see the auction stain on an item as any form of provenoce. They can be hard to remove nicely.
Attached Images

Old 7th December 2011, 08:55 PM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

A VERY NICE ONE. SEARCH KUKUKUKU AND OPEN PNGAA LIBRARY, THERE IS AN INTERESTING STORY ABOUT THE TRIBE BY CHIPS MACKELLER.
THREE PICTURES OF MY WOODEN EXAMPLE. ONE PICTURE OF TWO KUKUKU WARRIORS WITH ANOTHER TYPE OF STONE HEADED CLUB. PICTURE OF A WOOD CLUB SOLD ON EBAY. TWO PICTURES OF ANOTHER FORM OF STONE HEADED CLUB INSET WITH HUMAN TEETH. THE ONE WITH TEETH WAS COLLECTED IN 1960 AND IS 69 CM LONG AND THE HEAD IS 31 X 9 CM. AND A KUKUKU SHIELD
Attached Images

VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2011, 09:19 PM   #4
Lew
(deceased)

"I was trying out an ipad {a desirable thing but in some ways quite a dissapointment} that I teated myself to. The picture management system on this site does not work with an ipad"

Tim

Yes I had the same problem with my I-pad I found out too late should have gotten an Android based tablet. Well nice club could use a bit of lemon oil the wood seems a bit dry?
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2011, 10:28 PM   #5
Tim Simmons

Barry, thanks for the picture of "The Big Pelican"
Old 10th December 2011, 04:13 PM   #6
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew
"I was trying out an ipad {a desirable thing but in some ways quite a dissapointment} that I teated myself to. The picture management system on this site does not work with an ipad"

Tim

Yes I had the same problem with my I-pad I found out too late should have gotten an Android based tablet. Well nice club could use a bit of lemon oil the wood seems a bit dry?

Hey Lew,

Why lemon oil? I've not heard of that being used for wood before.

Tim, another great club! Well done.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2011, 12:46 PM   #7
Tim Simmons

Rather in the way of sypathetic magic I would use vegatable oil on wood. Naturally I only use the wifes very best virgin olive oil { i'm worth it}. In this case, these club are only roughly finished with no polishing of the surface. So to oil it up I think would be the wrong thing to do. I did use a very small amount of WD40 to remove the auction stain and that can remove some of the surface grime one wants to keep. The handle has a patina just from being handled. I know many clubs are polished in there manufacture and from use but I think many has been polished in the past by collectors. One could see that as part of the clubs history. When I strip varnish off polished clubs, the striper leaves a kind of bloom on the surface but the patina is almost instantly revived with olive oil I show some close ups of the pigment on the club head and sections of the handle .
Attached Images

Old 11th December 2011, 12:53 PM   #8
Lew
(deceased)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantia
Hey Lew,

Why lemon oil? I've not heard of that being used for wood before.

Tim, another great club! Well done.

Here is the link lemon oil has been used as wood revived for many years.

http://www.formbys.com/products/lemon_oil.cfm
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote