Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 24th September 2019, 05:26 PM   #1
MHLDRW

Default Unusual Kaskara Pt. 2

I had previously posted about this Kaskara I got. I have taken better pictures to of the sword. Any information on the sword would be much appreciated!
Attached Images

Last edited by Robert; 25th September 2019 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Possible value of an item is not to be discussed as per forum rules.
MHLDRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2019, 01:45 PM   #2
Edster

Interesting kaskara. Looks like an old takouba blade remounted as a kaskara. Iain will be able to better assess. Bigger images, especially of the hilt area, would help. Also your flash overpowers the inscriptions on the blade. Photographs outside in natural light is better. Any maker's marks?

Regards,
Ed
Edster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2019, 02:13 PM   #3
MHLDRW

Yeah I took these outside but I might need a better camera. The blade I believe does have a makers mark that looks like the "Female" symbol. It is etched in a form or Arabic, but I have a friend who speaks Arabic and stated she could not understand the dialect and that it might be an old version of Turkic Arabic. The hilt is inlaid with silver and has bone or Ivory rings around it. I will try and upload some better pictures.
MHLDRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2019, 12:27 PM   #4
Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edster
Interesting kaskara. Looks like an old takouba blade remounted as a kaskara. Iain will be able to better assess. Bigger images, especially of the hilt area, would help. Also your flash overpowers the inscriptions on the blade. Photographs outside in natural light is better. Any maker's marks?

Regards,
Ed
This does not strike me as a blade that was ever in takouba mounts. Better pictures will of course be needed to give a more detailed opinion.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2019, 12:51 PM   #5
Edster

Iain, on a second look I agree. The angle of the shot makes the blade appear much more tapered. Pics on the original post looks straighter. Still need better pic on the engravings.

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=MHLDRW

Ed
Old 26th September 2019, 12:51 PM   #6
Edster

Iain, on a second look I agree. The angle of the shot makes the blade appear much more tapered. Pics on the original post looks straighter. Still need better pic on the engravings.

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=MHLDRW

Ed

Double post, please delete.

Last edited by Edster; 26th September 2019 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Double post,Please delete
Old 26th September 2019, 03:16 PM   #7
mross

Blade geometry and fullers look very similar to the one I posted. The cross and orb on it is much larger than mine though. I do not see a fly.
mross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2019, 08:43 AM   #8
Iain

The blade geometry based on the small photos looks likely to indicate a locally made blade.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2019, 10:30 AM   #9
ariel

This is a case when translation might really help.
I have good sources of translation from Farsi, Urdu and a couple of Indian languages, but my source of Arabic moved back to Saudi Arabia. Old Turkish is unavailable. Drats!
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote