Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th October 2011, 08:52 AM   #1
LionsHunter

Default new jambiya name (( Lightning ))

about lightning jambiya
this jambiya not coming down only stand . i will give u picture and movie

no body know who is making it

video for jambiya .....................................

good luck any one can give me about this jambiya information
Attached Images

LionsHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2011, 01:47 PM   #2
Lew
(deceased)

The jambiya seems to be from the Asir region and the fact that it balances on it's edge is quite interesting. Reminds me of the floating keris that balance on the points of their blades.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2011, 01:50 PM   #3
A.alnakkas

Hey,

I've seen alot about these. The myth goes on to say that they are made of meteor iron which got hit by lightning... Well I have no idea how that may effect the balancing but I think it more got to do with a blacksmith that knows what hes doing :P
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2011, 01:58 PM   #4
Lew
(deceased)

Meteor iron? I think you are correct it's just knowing how to make it balance. It does show off the skill of the knife maker though .
Old 7th October 2011, 02:20 PM   #5
A.alnakkas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew
Meteor iron? I think you are correct it's just knowing how to make it balance. It does show off the skill of the knife maker though .
Thats one of the myth's I heard regarding those :P
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2011, 05:12 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
Hey,

I've seen alot about these. The myth goes on to say that they are made of meteor iron which got hit by lightning... Well I have no idea how that may effect the balancing but I think it more got to do with a blacksmith that knows what hes doing :P
Interesting stuff, seems like the meteor metal story was part of the 'Bowie knife' myth as well. While these knives were profoundly fabled for thier deadly fighting properties, not sure if balancing was included. We also know that meteoric iron was well known in Indonesia in a number of kerises with material from the 17th century event in Jakarta (if recalling correctly) and in some degree this extraterrestrial metal was used, again do not recall the balance property.
I agree with your perspective in an extremely skilled blacksmith, and remain unaware of any gyroscopic properties in meteoric iron
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2011, 08:52 PM   #7
kahnjar1

On any curve there must be a point of balance, dictated by the weight of each end. Unfortunately I can not access any of my long Jambiya at present to check this out, but I suspect that each will have a point at which it balances on the edge.
Maybe Lew could check out one of his to see if my theory is correct??
Regards Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2011, 09:11 PM   #8
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Interesting stuff, seems like the meteor metal story was part of the 'Bowie knife' myth as well. While these knives were profoundly fabled for thier deadly fighting properties, not sure if balancing was included. We also know that meteoric iron was well known in Indonesia in a number of kerises with material from the 17th century event in Jakarta (if recalling correctly) and in some degree this extraterrestrial metal was used, again do not recall the balance property.
I agree with your perspective in an extremely skilled blacksmith, and remain unaware of any gyroscopic properties in meteoric iron
Yes, i do not think that the material (meteorite or otherwise) contributes to the balancing properties of the blade.
Jim, for the record the first known fall of a collected iron-bearing meteorite in the books is the Prambanan fall that was found in 1797. It is certainly possible that there were other off the record falls that were used in the manufacture of keris, but there is no old writings from the day that i know of that support it. So we only really have evidence to support the idea of keris made with meteoric ore at the very start of the 19th century.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2011, 09:17 PM   #9
Lew
(deceased)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
On any curve there must be a point of balance, dictated by the weight of each end. Unfortunately I can not access any of my long Jambiya at present to check this out, but I suspect that each will have a point at which it balances on the edge.
Maybe Lew could check out one of his to see if my theory is correct??
Regards Stu
Stu

I already tried it with no luck. What I find interesting is that the dagger always seems to want to pop up on it's edge. Restless blade syndrome I guess .
Old 7th October 2011, 09:44 PM   #10
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew
Stu

I already tried it with no luck. What I find interesting is that the dagger always seems to want to pop up on it's edge. Restless blade syndrome I guess .
....interesting. Strong magnet???
As an aside I had seen that vid before but never gave it much thought. If Steve is watching he might have some ideas as his knowledge of (particularly) Yemeni daggers is vast. Would be interesting to know if he has ever seen this "in the flesh".
Stu
Old 7th October 2011, 11:04 PM   #11
David
Keris forum moderator

Well i don't think there is anything magnetic or magical about it. It is just good weight distribution. Belly dance swords balance on edge like this as well.
Old 8th October 2011, 03:14 AM   #12
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Well i don't think there is anything magnetic or magical about it. It is just good weight distribution. Belly dance swords balance on edge like this as well.
I had some bizarre dejavu thoughts recalling the belly dancing sword discussions here it seems lifetimes ago! Thanks very much for the correction on the Indonesian event, I hadnt checked the dates and did not recall correctly.
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2011, 06:14 AM   #13
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
I had some bizarre dejavu thoughts recalling the belly dancing sword discussions here it seems lifetimes ago! Thanks very much for the correction on the Indonesian event, I hadnt checked the dates and did not recall correctly.
No problem Jim. The belly dance swords was on my mind because i was just shooting belly dancers last night.
I don't recall the thread. Is it worth looking up...
Old 8th October 2011, 09:58 AM   #14
Atlantia

I've seent he 'flying Keris' videos on youtube, but they all look either proped-up against the scabbards, stuck into wood surfaces or faked hung on a wire.
I've never had a knife, dagger or sword that would stand on it's tip.

As for the Jambiya
I have noticed this before with steeply curved blades.
It reminds me of the old 'balance toys' that used to be popular, even the chrome wire 'executive desk toys' of the 1970s.
I've had several curved swords that would balance in this way.
It looks cool but when you think about it, it's logical that they would balance and it's like the old trick of the two forks and a coin, How about two forks balanced on Sitas fingertips?
Attached Images

Last edited by Atlantia; 8th October 2011 at 10:26 AM.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2011, 10:12 AM   #15
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
The belly dance swords was on my mind because i was just shooting belly dancers last night.
Do you need a permit for that?
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2011, 10:44 AM   #16
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantia
I've seent he 'flying Keris' videos on youtube, but they all look either proped-up against the scabbards, stuck into wood surfaces or faked hung on a wire.
I've never had a knife, dagger or sword that would stand on it's tip.

As for the Jambiya
I have noticed this before with steeply curved blades.
It reminds me of the old 'balance toys' that used to be popular, even the chrome wire 'executive desk toys' of the 1970s.
I've had several curved swords that would balance in this way.
It looks cool but when you think about it, it's logical that they would balance and it's like the old trick of the two forks and a coin, How about two forks balanced on Sitas fingertips?
Hi Gene,
I suspect we are both on the same wavelength over this balance thing. By the way I DO like that Bronze, and do you have a licence for those forks??
Stu
Old 8th October 2011, 12:05 PM   #17
Gavin Nugent

A lot of Kukri and Kora do this, likely other weapons too.
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2011, 09:55 PM   #18
LionsHunter

Default Atlantia about this jambiya

u can sell it in ksa and u can test it before buy ok secound about aote people yes i know that put if u test that u will know what the correct .

Last edited by Lew; 9th October 2011 at 08:05 PM.
LionsHunter is offline   Reply With Quote