Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd September 2005, 10:26 PM   #1
RSWORD

Default Nicely carved Madurese hilt with Chinese Motif

I would appreciate thoughts and comments in regards to the motif that are on this Madurese hilt. The carving is quite good but what I find interesting are the strong Chinese motif. While this is probably not surprising given the number of Chinese throughout the archepelego I cannot recall an example of a Keris hilt with such motif. The first two pictures illustrate a nicely carved dragon with crown(?) on head with a bird attacking it or flying overhead. The dragon reminds me quite a bit of Chinese style dragon. There is also a picture of the base of the ukiran which is usually left uncarved but in this example it is carved with the swastika motif found in Buddhist art. The last picture illustrates nice "rope" motif not unlike what you might find on a Scottish dirk hilt but I have seen this motif in Malaysian work. I am wondering if this was simply made to order for a Chinese customer or perhaps Chinese carved to bring back to the mainland to sell as a curio.
Attached Images

RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2005, 10:55 PM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Hi Rick,
This example has the swastika motif and the flower filled panels suggest almost a 'Rose Medallion" style . It was suggested to me by another member that this Madura hilt may also have been carved to the Chinese aesthetic .

I also wonder if the bird above your dragon might be the phoenix .
Attached Images

Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2005, 11:59 PM   #3
Philip

Default Chinese influence on keris dress ; rare double keris

Rick,
Nice example! These motifs are seen on keris handles on occasion; yours is quite a good specimen of the type. Considering that many of the Chinese who settled in Indonesia were merchants and craftsmen, and more than a few of them were purveyors of luxury goods, you can see why the Chinese aesthetic would acquire a certain cache. At the very least, people tend to be attracted to novelty, and foreign styles come into vogue in many cultures for this reason.

The "rope design" you mention is indeed common on Scottish dirk hilts, and is reflected in many forms of medieval Irish and Scandinavian art. It is also found in Islamic motifs, and is generally referred to as the "endless knot" . This theme appears frequently in the Far East as well, and is regarded as a Buddhistic element. The design is interpreted by some to represent the Buddha's intestines. (Just as swastikas are believed to be the marks present on his footprints).

On a functional note, I've seen the Chinese influence on keris manifest in an extreme and highly unusual example: DOUBLE KERIS FITTING INTO ONE SCABBARD! Rick, remember the dealer I took you to see in LA when you visited last? Over ten yr. ago, he showed me this. The mounts were Javanese. Each hilt was half-sectioned, so even the mendak or ferrule was flat on one side. The flat of one grip had a little mortise which nested into a matching tenon on the other grip so that both daggers would "lock" together when side-by-side. The scabbard had a thin divider to separate the blades.

This double keris was otherwise of typical size and dimension for Javanese. A Chinese martial artist would undoubtedly consider them too insubstantial, so I believe the set was made for an Indonesian who practiced a double-blade form and was inspired by the Chinese hudiedao or "butterfly knife".

This double weapon was rather plainly dressed, it had none of the rich motifs that your hilt has. Looking back, I kick myself for not making an offer on the piece.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2005, 12:42 AM   #4
lordraphael

Exclamation not a very Chinese dragon!

I was surprised at the dragon on the hilt.
It doesn't look Chinese to me.
I'm surprised that it really closely resembles a dragon from European lore, with its reptilian head and bat-like wings.
While European dragons probably got their bat-like wings from later medieval devils, who in turn owe them to Chinese genies and demons (early European devils had feathered wings), I've never seen a Chinese dragon with wings (though they do fly).

Raffaele
lordraphael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2005, 12:54 AM   #5
John

Being an ethnic Chinese myself, I once commissioned 2 kerises in Madura, one with the "double dragon persuing pearl" motif carved on the crosspiece (wrangka/sampir) to complement a Naga Pengantin blade which turned out quite well and no doubt there are some Chinese influences here and there given the many Chinese in the archipelago and doing similar things along the way. But the 2 pieces have been sold before I took any pictures.

But hilts here don't seemed to look quite Chinese...
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2005, 01:59 AM   #6
BluErf

Here're some links to images of Chinese dragons.

http://www.mythicalrealm.com/images-...gonRampent.jpg
http://www.mythicalrealm.com/images-...dragonroof.jpg
http://www.mythicalrealm.com/images-2/chineseleili.jpg
http://www.crystalinks.com/chinadragons.html

Chinese dragons have deer antler-like horns, a large bulbous nose with a pair of long feelers, a generous beard and 'sideburns', and a high forehead. Long and lanky, with 4 limbs with large claws. No wings. Sometimes, they have a flame-like tail.

So I don't think its a Chinese dragon on the hilt. In fact, I thought the dragon was wearing a European crown. Dutch influence?

In the 2nd hilt, the floral motifs are arranged in framed panels, which reminds me of baroque European aesthetics. However, I thought the floral motifs are distinctively N. Coast Java/Madura/Bali though, with that 'flame' or 'leaf' motif. See motif on hilt which I believe comes from coastal Java.

The swastika panels at the bottom of both hilts do have some Chinese look to it, like the pierced-through panels under the eaves of the roof in some Chinese architecture. But then again, the swastika probably originated from India.

I think Chinese influences exist in the keris arts. The best example I know is of a Javanese keris with Chinese lacquer work on the sheath, depicting a Chinese house, a couple of Chinese people and a Chinese pine tree (ya, how many 'Chinese' am I going to use here ). This keris graces the cover of Karsten Jensen's keris book.

The other example is in the Invincible Keris. There is a Malay keris with an ivory parrot hilt. That scabbard has Chinese mother-of-pearl inlaid square motifs and striped sheath stem.

Another example I remember is the 'curly-worly' Chinese cloud motif sometimes found on textiles and the repoussed silver covering of pedang hilts coming from Cirebon. Anyone has pictures?

The last possible example I remember is in John's collection. Its an ivory hilt with deep carved floral panels. Maybe if John would post pictures?
Attached Images

BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2005, 03:45 AM   #7
RSWORD

Thanks for all the feedback thusfar. Rick, thank you for sharing your example. I like your thoughts about the bird possibly representing the Pheonix. I have a feeling that your and my example do exhibit strong Chinese influences.

Philip,

Yes, I remember that shop well. Lot's of goodies but the darn guy wouldn't sell me anything I was interested in. I do remember you talking about that double Keris and how much you kick yourself for not picking it up.

In regards to the dragon, I am still not convinced that it is not Chinese inspired. I am attaching a picture of a scabbard mount from a Chinese Peidao in which the dragon shares more similarities with this keris than not. Also, the swastika motif and rope motif suggest strong Buddhist elements. Either it is a strange amalgamation of styles carved onto the handle for no reason other than visual appeal or it had some intent to be recognized by individuals who would recognize said symbols. I am also attaching a picture of a scabbard of a Chinese Jian in which the entire scabbard has been carved with the swastika motif, amongst other things.
Attached Images

Old 3rd September 2005, 07:43 AM   #8
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluErf
The last possible example I remember is in John's collection. Its an ivory hilt with deep carved floral panels. Maybe if John would post pictures?
Certainly Blu.

I'm no expert in Chinese motifs but for the sake of this interesting discussion, the swastika is commonly seen in Chinese motifs (but also Japanese, Korean etc?) as a Buddhist element (also bearing in mind the Buddhist Borobudur in Java is a millenium old) but also an import to the Chinese and the rest as BluErf also surmised and the strange dragon with wing is not something I've seen in anything Chinese thus far but there may be the remote possibility of the strange amalgamation of things...
Attached Images

Old 4th September 2005, 04:14 AM   #9
John

Rsword, just looking at the swastika design in isolation, the Chinese influence/architecture of design appears to be there, I have to now agree. In looking at the swastika on the scabbard again, the lines look uncannily similar and about 45 degrees gradient similar to that of the hilts so I guess you're right in saying you're not convinced the Chinese influence ain't there based on the similarities with your example. But again, another superficial view on my part.
Old 4th September 2005, 06:36 AM   #10
nechesh

I would like to refer you all to the book Spirit of Wood. Examples of the use of both the swastika and the endless knot pattern in Malay culture can be seen there. Pg. 45 shows ventilation panels in the walls of Masjid Wadi Husin at Telok Manok. The caption states that "the swastika was commonly adopted in Malay culture as a symbol of protection." Pg. 78 also shows another wall from this ancient mosque which also incorporates the "endless knot" as a window panel.
BTW, swastikas are to be found in cultures all around the world, including Amerindian. While it is most likely the swastika was imported into the Malay world it should be noted that it seems to have developed independently in many parts of the world.Generally it held the same symbolism as a solar energy for good luck and protection where ever it developed.
For what it is worth i also agree that the dragon on the first hilt does not look like any Chinese dragon i have ever seen. I would also think the swastika made it's way to the Malay world through Hindu influences more than Chinese. Certainly Chinese influences have made themselve evident, but i don't think this is the case here.
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2005, 08:33 PM   #11
RSWORD

David

Thank you for the referral and the additional information. You mentioned the design shows up in wall panels several times in the book but are there any keris hilts with this particular design. While I admit I have not handled a ton of keris over the years I have yet to see this pattern in a keris but would love to know there were dozens of examples out there with it so prominently featured as this keris. Also, I appreciate the differences of opinion in regards to the dragon. For me, I am trying to piece together all of the decorative elements on the hilt to better understand it. What do you believe the dragon and the bird represents along with the other decoration?
Old 5th September 2005, 10:06 PM   #12
nechesh

Hi Rick. Well, i must admit i have not seen this motif used all that often in keris hilts, but Rick, the Elder ( ) has shown us at least one other and where there are 2 there are probably more. I only made reference to Spirit of Wood examples to show that this motif has been accepted as a common part of Malay culture for some time so that it's use on your Madurese hilt doesn't necessarily indicate that it was made for an ethnic Chinese customer.
When i first saw the dragon i had the same impression as lordraphael. With it's bat-like wings your dragon reminds me a lot more of European style dragons. Certain, no where in Indonesia has the influence of European motifs on keris art been more evident than Madura. I could be wrong but i think it is very likely this dragon has more relation to the Dutch than the Chinese.
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2005, 10:31 PM   #13
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Cool

One more swastika base example can be seen on pg. 125 fig. 108 of Tammens DE KRIS vol. 3 .

This style if not of Chinese influence seems at least fairly uncommon .

On pg. 144 fig. 127 same volume another Madura ukiran shows the knot motif .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote