Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th August 2007, 12:49 PM   #1
katana

Default Nice old knife...origins? Use?

A nice old knife, horn (green) slabs, held on with 6 steel/iron pins. The blade is hollow ground 5" long. OAL 8.5". The decorative 'semi circular petrusion' either side of the blade next to the handle (not sure what to call it ) is lead alloy/pewter? Has anyone able to identify its origins? name and/or use? Thank you

David
Attached Images

katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2007, 12:52 PM   #2
ariel

Looks like a Cretan one.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2007, 01:44 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Aside from Ariels observation, it would be interesting to know more about the details present on this knife. The decoration on the back of the blade seems to be a crosshatch pattern with dots, is this style known on any other edged weapons ?
If the mounts are lead or pewter, it sounds like a very modern example.
Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2007, 01:56 PM   #4
katana

Hi Ariel,
thank you for your reply ...a search of the forum gave additional clues...

".....I would also say that they look a bit more modern, towards early 1900s, because of the lack of proper decoration on the metal strip between the handles. At the 1870s time, still most daggers had a scroll floral decoration engraved on this metal script. The simple "zig-zag" decoration starts latter, maybe from 1890s and then in 1920s or so we have no decaration at all, as one of the examples. Industrial revolution affected all societies, so less time was devoted to a specific knife......." Quote from Eftihis from this thread

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=Cretan

As this knife has scroll decoration, can I assume it is around 1870 in date ? The blade on mine also has the remains of scroll/foilage engraving with is heavily worn. The very dark patination seems to suggest late 19th c.
Could someone tell me from what animal the horn is from, is it naturally greenish in colour or is it dyed ?

I also got the impression (from other threads on these knives) that older versions of these knives are relatively rare.....is this the case?

Regards David
Old 13th August 2007, 05:10 PM   #5
katana

Hi Jim,
sorry I missed your post ...we posted at similar times ...which probably explains why. Nice to hear from you The overall impression of this knife is it has some age (especially the blade) The blade spine is indeed decorated with cross hatching and dots. I have also found that the decorated metal 'sandwiched' between the handle slabs is silver or silver alloy (when rubbed with cloth I get a black residue)

The lead/pewter is in fact the same 'silver' as the handle, It appeared to be seperate pieces but is part of the handle, the 'thumb wear through' (shown in one of the photos, the 6th one from the top) gave this impression....my mistake

My excuse for this mistake is that I was up most of the night watching the 'shooting stars' as earth passes through the path of a comet.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/wiltshire/weather/perseids.shtml

So I've been half asleep with a neck ache for most of the day....not complaining ..it was worth it

Kind Regards David
Old 14th August 2007, 10:22 AM   #6
Yannis

It is a Cretan knife and IMHO it is at least 100 old. The handle is made from goat horn.

I suppose Eftihis is on vacations so he didnt answer your questions
Yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2007, 06:54 PM   #7
katana

Thank you for your opinion Yannis
I definately feel that this knife is old and your suggestion of over a 'century' seems highly likely. Shame there wasn't a scabbard.....are they leather covered wood ? Has anyone got a pic of a scabbard....as I would like to try and make one for it.

If anyone has any more information or comments I will be grateful if you could post. This is my first Cretan knife and know very little about them, thanks

David
Old 15th August 2007, 10:29 AM   #8
Yannis

Here are two simple scabbards. Leather on wood. Sometimes there is a metallic ring on the throat of the scabbard and metallic tip.

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=cretan
Yannis is offline   Reply With Quote