Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 31st December 2015, 06:19 PM   #1
rickystl

Default Afghan Rifle Combination Tool

Happy New Year to All.

Here is a little item I won at auction last weekend. I believe it is Afghan made, and is one of the accessories that would have been suspended from the warrior's belt. It's a combination tool consisting of a screwdriver, vent hole pic, flint knapper, and tiny priming horn.
Many of the tiny priming horns I've seen like this are latter made tourist type items suspended with a modern chain. But this one looks like the real thing. It's all hand forged iron. This will make a nice addition to my Afghan belt.
Another interesting feature of this horn is a tiny screw, and what appears to be a seperate plate on the large end, which if removed, would be used to fill with powder. But the screw won't budge, and I don't want to mess it up. I'll let some good penetrating oil soak there for a week or two and try again. If it doesnt come loose, I'll just leave it alone. The spring action for the lever works fine.
I'm also attaching a pic of it next to my left hand so you can get an idea of the relative size. While the size is quite small, there would be enough powder for at least 6-8 primes for the pan is my guess. Or, it could be used for an emergency type "spare" for one or two barrel loads and primes. Could even be used to assist in starting a campfire.
Any comments welcome. And thanks for looking.

Rick.
Attached Images

rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2016, 10:53 AM   #2
BANDOOK

NICE TOOL RICK,I LOST ONE ON EBAY A MONTH BACK,NICE FOR YOUR JEZAIL COLLECTION,CHEERS
BANDOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2016, 10:54 AM   #3
rickystl

Hi Bandook.
Actually, my gunsmith sent me the Link to this item. Otherwise, I wouldn't have known it was up for auction. LOL So I was lucky in that regard. I took one look at it and knew I had to have it. An authentic addition to the Afghan belt. Thanks.
Rick.
Old 4th January 2016, 10:37 AM   #4
Tony PP

Default another primer flask

Hello, I have a small primer flask looking nearly the same as yours but without the tool. Mine is missing the part from the larger end. All there is is a hollow with a small threaded hole in the middle. I have seen one before that had a small knob that flared out to fit the inside hollow, threaded on the other side and finished with the remains of what looked like a touch hole pricker. It would certainly be easier to fill from the spout end.
Where mine was made -- I have no idea but I was given it in Dara Adam a village on the Pakistan border.
Have fun getting the screw out
Attached Images

Tony PP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2016, 08:13 AM   #5
BANDOOK

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickystl
Hi Bandook.
Actually, my gunsmith sent me the Link to this item. Otherwise, I wouldn't have known it was up for auction. LOL So I was lucky in that regard. I took one look at it and knew I had to have it. An authentic addition to the Afghan belt. Thanks.
Rick.
CHEERS RICK GOOD BUYING,ALWAYS LOVE THESE AUTHENTIC ACESSORIES
REGARDS RAJESH
BANDOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2016, 03:18 PM   #6
Tony PP

Default Missing End

It's raining and I was bored so time for a little play. First, check out the thread in the end of the flask, seems to be a old Whitworth one, still bored so decided to make up something from memory. Happy with the results but would like to see what yours looks like as a comparison. Obviously a bit new at the moment but that will not be a problem.

The other flask , nothing special and haven't a clue where from or in fact how I even got it but I like it.
Attached Images

Tony PP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2016, 05:36 PM   #7
rickystl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony PP
Hello, I have a small primer flask looking nearly the same as yours but without the tool. Mine is missing the part from the larger end. All there is is a hollow with a small threaded hole in the middle. I have seen one before that had a small knob that flared out to fit the inside hollow, threaded on the other side and finished with the remains of what looked like a touch hole pricker. It would certainly be easier to fill from the spout end.
Where mine was made -- I have no idea but I was given it in Dara Adam a village on the Pakistan border.
Have fun getting the screw out
Hi Tony.
Yes, your's looks very similar to mine. If I can get the screw removed from mine, the interior may look like yours. So the end piece under the screw of mine may be shaped like more of a plug versus a flat plate. Hmmmm. I'll keep soaking it every week and hope I can remove it. Now that I've seen the photo of yours, I'm really curious. And curious minds want to know. LOL
It's really hard to tell on mine that there is a seperate end piece, but it's there. Thanks for posting yours.
Rick.
Attached Images

Old 9th January 2016, 05:50 PM   #8
rickystl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony PP
It's raining and I was bored so time for a little play. First, check out the thread in the end of the flask, seems to be a old Whitworth one, still bored so decided to make up something from memory. Happy with the results but would like to see what yours looks like as a comparison. Obviously a bit new at the moment but that will not be a problem.

The other flask , nothing special and haven't a clue where from or in fact how I even got it but I like it.
Hi again Tony.
Hey !! Great job making that threaded end piece !!! Looks much better now. Excellent. I'll re-post if I get the screw out of mine.
Seems like we both think alike. LOL Here is a Persian style priming flask that I picked up at the Baltimore Show about three years ago. It was missing it's end screw. So my gunsmith made me a new screw utilizing an original top jaw screw from a 3rd Model British Brown Bess musket (That was broken and messed up). Turned out nice. And the flask is 100% usable.
Again, great job with the screw/vent pick idea.
Rick.
Attached Images

Old 9th January 2016, 06:33 PM   #9
stenoyab

Default Complete rig

Hi, Interesting to see your tool, heres a similar one I found still attached to its powder flask rig.

I'd always thought mine is more North African from the style of the flask, but I guess these were widely spread in useage.

Do any of you collect Indian/Afghan bullet molds ?, I've been trying without any success to try and find a source to ID the various regional variations.
Attached Images

Last edited by stenoyab; 9th January 2016 at 10:19 PM.
stenoyab is offline   Reply With Quote