Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th November 2014, 08:27 PM   #1
Kinikini

Default Beautiful Kinikini

I could go on for hours telling you about this Masterpiece of Fijian craftsmanship that dates to very early 19thC possibly late 18th.
I purchased this soon after it had been exhibited in the 2011 Parcours Des Mondes Tribal art fair in Paris by a London dealer. Prior to this it was owned by Mr James Barzyk of Oceanicarchive in the states who described the club as "Best In Class" and it's certainly is something special compared to most examples iv'e ever seen for sale.
From top to bottom it measures approx 48 inches, the blade is 15 inches across and from the start of the carving at the top of the shaft/neck to the tip of the blade is 27 inches.
The designs/patterns on the blade have been described by James Barzyk as Bedazzling and I totally agree. It is almost impossible to define where each of the "geometric" panels either begin or end as they seem to merge into each other producing a very hypnotic effect for and the more you look the deeper it takes you until the patterns seduce you to the point they seem to move and merge with each other, adding an intentional Magical aura to this Beautiful specimen by it's Designer's/Creator's fit for any Chief or Priest. Carved from a single piece of wood using primitive tools.
The dark colour and patina are Superb.
I believe it is the only known example with 2 inverted Dog's on the blade as well as the other Glyph's, but I could be wrong. Please Note. Compressing the pics pics have made the kinikini appear to be shorter than it actually is. All the Best K
Attached Images

Kinikini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2014, 07:17 AM   #2
Tim Simmons

Whose a lucky boy then?

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 25th November 2014 at 04:25 PM.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2014, 11:50 AM   #3
Kinikini

Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons
Whose a lucky boy them?
Me.
Old 26th November 2014, 03:48 PM   #4
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

CONGRATULATIONS !! A MAGNIFICENT EXAMPLE TRULY WORTHY OF A CHIEF OR HIGH PRIEST. A 15 INCH WIDE BLADE WOW! TRULY A MONSTER EVEN FOR THIS TYPE OF CLUB. I HAVEN'T SEEN DOG FIGURES DEPICTED ON A CLUB BEFORE DO YOU THINK IT IS FROM TONGAN INFLUENCE IN FIJI?
THE WAY YOU WRITE ABOUT YOUR CLUBS SHOWS YOU TRULY APPRECIATE AND EVEN LOVE THEM. IT IS ALWAYS GOOD TO SEE GREAT CLUBS IN THE COLLECTION OF ONE WHO TRULY TREASURES THEM FOR WHAT THEY ARE AND THEIR HISTORY NOT JUST WHAT THEY ARE WORTH.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2014, 08:48 PM   #5
Sajen

A beautiful club with outstanding patina!
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2015, 06:47 PM   #6
chiefheadknocker

Default THE PINNACLE OF FIJIAN BEAUTY

To acquire this must be the pinnacle of desire for the collector of Fijian art , an amazing piece holding so much unknown history, it radiates a presence of its own.
fantastic
chiefheadknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2015, 01:47 AM   #7
trenchwarfare

That is truly amazing. Excellent score! Very few would not admire the workmanship. I'm sure, the carver had to walk away periodically, so as not to get dizzy, or go blind completely!
trenchwarfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2015, 03:37 PM   #8
Kinikini

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefheadknocker
To acquire this must be the pinnacle of desire for the collector of Fijian art , an amazing piece holding so much unknown history, it radiates a presence of its own.
fantastic
Thank you "Chief" I was very lucky to find and be able to afford to buy this Beautiful specimen. I have handled several Kinikini's and clubs over the years but this one is in a league of it's own I doubt I will ever find anything so rare again. K