Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd April 2016, 07:45 PM   #1
harrywagner

Default Two Omani Khanjars for comment

I am not sure what I think of these. Surprisingly, they both have respectable blades, and they have been sharpened. I like them but am not sure if either is a weapon. Do you suppose they started out life in a glass display case, or on a souvenir shelf? I am curious what other collectors think of them? TIA!
Attached Images

harrywagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 07:54 PM   #2
A.alnakkas

Hey Harry,

Sorry to be the herald of bad news again :-( these are tourist daggers. From what I know, Bengali workers in Oman make them in large quantities.
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 09:17 PM   #3
harrywagner

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
Hey Harry,

Sorry to be the herald of bad news again :-( these are tourist daggers. From what I know, Bengali workers in Oman make them in large quantities.
No worries. I appreciate knowing, and I am not surprised. The lightweight rings gave them away. They were inexpensive, and I think they are attractive enough I will keep and display them. In their own display of course. No way they are rubbing shoulders with the real thing. Thanks again. Much appreciated.

Harry
harrywagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2016, 01:12 PM   #4
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Salaams Harrywagner, My first point is to advise a quick look at http://khanjar.om/Types.html which is the new government site on Omani Khanjars. It is far more detailed than any other publication and stitches together a number of different Royal types. This is really the only Khanjar that comes with a discernible date ...the others all seem to float in from about as far back as the 16th C in styles of regions...also on the same site ...which have morphed and mingled into what we have today. The Royal form has, in particular, followed a difficult path still being unpicked as elements appear in some Yemeni, Saudia, Bahraini, East African and Zanzibari weapons probably through trade by camel train and ship.. Place The Omani Khanjar into search for more information.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 6th April 2016 at 01:54 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2016, 02:51 PM   #5
Helleri

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrywagner
No worries. I appreciate knowing, and I am not surprised. The lightweight rings gave them away. They were inexpensive, and I think they are attractive enough I will keep and display them. In their own display of course. No way they are rubbing shoulders with the real thing. Thanks again. Much appreciated.

Harry
I actually like collecting tourist blades. Because I can have a representation of many more blades from different areas of the world then I could other wise. There is no need to go all out on a display or even really needing to have the space for em' either, as I can just stuff them in a drawer without much concern. They're also not bad place holders until getting something truly impressive to fill a slot in a collection (at least visually, when you handle them you can usually feel the cheap). As long as I can pay the tourist blade price and not the antique collectors price. They're kind of cool to have.
Helleri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2016, 06:42 PM   #6
Miguel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams Harrywagner, My first point is to advise a quick look at http://khanjar.om/Types.html which is the new government site on Omani Khanjars. It is far more detailed than any other publication and stitches together a number of different Royal types. This is really the only Khanjar that comes with a discernible date ...the others all seem to float in from about as far back as the 16th C in styles of regions...also on the same site ...which have morphed and mingled into what we have today. The Royal form has, in particular, followed a difficult path still being unpicked as elements appear in some Yemeni, Saudia, Bahraini, East African and Zanzibari weapons probably through trade by camel train and ship.. Place The Omani Khanjar into search for more information.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Hello Ibrahiim.

Just to thank you for that link showing the government site on Omani khanjars, excellent thank you very much.
Regards
Miguel
Miguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2016, 07:16 PM   #7
Miguel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helleri
I actually like collecting tourist blades. Because I can have a representation of many more blades from different areas of the world then I could other wise. There is no need to go all out on a display or even really needing to have the space for em' either, as I can just stuff them in a drawer without much concern. They're also not bad place holders until getting something truly impressive to fill a slot in a collection (at least visually, when you handle them you can usually feel the cheap). As long as I can pay the tourist blade price and not the antique collectors price. They're kind of cool to have.
I think your comments make a lot of sense and plenty of the other members would agree particularly as the prices of the genuine articles keeps rising all the time. I was fortunate enough to obtain my collection when the genuine items were much more available and considerably cheaper.
Regards
Miguel
Miguel is offline   Reply With Quote