Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th April 2017, 01:28 PM   #1
Arjuna

Default Unknown dapur

Good day everybody!
May I please ask you for your opinion for this Jogja keris?
Thx
Arjuna
Attached Images

Arjuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2017, 08:03 AM   #2
Johan van Zyl

Location: I live in Gordon's Bay, a village in the Western Cape Province in South Africa.

Arjuna, having only seen my own two kerisses up close and "in the flesh", I am not qualified to comment, but for the sake of contributing, let me voice an opinion for what it's worth. Thanks to the good pictures, especially of the wrongko, I am thinking that this is a decent genuine keris, perhaps not antique but of respectable vintage. The blade seems very interesting to me, and I am putting my bet on the hope that the more experienced collectors will give it a clean bill of health. The wrongko has a good deal of pelet - I have read that it starts life in the wood as a fungal growth, but if well preserved in the "dead" wood, it is an enhancement. Well, there it is. If this comment gets flak, I'll be learning all the way.
Johan van Zyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2017, 10:41 AM   #3
satsujinken

well the blade is straight and there's a rudimentary dragon, so the closest dhapur should be naga tapa

CMIIW

regards
Donny
satsujinken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2017, 11:45 AM   #4
Arjuna

Thank you.
I was asking because the blade looks rather thin to me and the Naga like a snake not the common dragon. I thought it could be a interesting keris, as someone has invested some effort, the sarong looks not "cheap" and fits well and also the handle is very deeply carved.
Regards
Arjuna
Old 18th April 2017, 08:19 PM   #5
David
Keris forum moderator

I was going to comment on the hilt. It is certainly a nicer carving than the standard. Looks like good wood, deep cuts and pierced through.
However, the hilt is no real statement on the quality or value of the blade itself as we all know how interchangeable keris parts can be.
You say that it fits well in the sheath. By that do you mean to imply that it seems the sheath was actually made for the blade or that it is just well adapted? Can we see a photo from above showing the fit.
This does indeed seem to be an older blade, but my suspicion is that the naga may have been added later in its life. It's hard to tell these things for certain and a hands on inspection is always preferable so i couldn't say for sure. It is certainly not your standard design for a Javanese naga though.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2017, 06:20 PM   #6
Arjuna

Maybe just adapted?
Attached Images