Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 21st January 2015, 08:29 PM   #1
Henk

Default Unusual tanto in the shape of a dragon

When my grandfather past away 45 years ago one of his possesions was a tanto in the shape of a dragon. I had never seen something like that and never saw something like that again. One of his grandsons inherited the tanto. I hope he still have the piece in his posesion.

Today i was able to buy a similar one. To be honest, i feel very lucky. Can anyone of the knowledgeable forummembers tell me more about it?
I don't have it yet but here are some pictures of the seller.
Attached Images

Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2015, 09:15 PM   #2
Sajen

Hello Henk,

I know next to nothing about tantos but I like your one and I am curious to read what knowledge members will tell you.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2015, 10:59 PM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

THE JAPANESE SWORDS I HAVE SEEN WITH THE SCABBARD AND HANDLES CARVED LIKE THIS ONES ARE SAID TO HAVE BEEN CARRIED BY PHYSICIANS / DOCTORS. I HAVE ONE CARVED LIKE A TYPE OF FISH FOUND IN THE WATERS SURROUNDING HOKKAIDO THE NORTH MOST JAPANESE ISLAND. THEY ARE USUALLY THE LENGTH OF THE SHORTER WAZZIKAI SWORDS NOT THE FULL SIZE KATANA . I AM NOT SURE IF A TANTO (DAGGER SIZE) WOULD BE A DOCTORS SWORD. I AM SURE THOSE WHO COLLECT JAPANESE WEAPONS CAN GIVE YOU BETTER INFORMATION. IT LOOKS LIKE A NICE ONE CONGRATULATIONS.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2015, 12:06 AM   #4
spiral

Unusual & interesting item!

Ive never seen anything like it. {Not that means anything..}

But if you ask the dealers at Aoi Art by email at info@aoijapan.jp They should know.

There the true horses mouth for all true Japanese knife & sword art, in my experience.

spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2015, 09:58 AM   #5
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henk
Can anyone of the knowledgeable forummembers tell me more about it? I don't have it yet but here are some pictures of the seller.
Would you mind posting the description of the seller. A traditionally made Japanese blade (nihonto) would have a way to remove the blade from the hilt (tsuka). This may be a Meiji Period (post samurai) creation.
estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2015, 04:00 PM   #6
trenchwarfare

I agree. I think late Victorian "tourista" piece, made for the Europeans who were ravenous for anything Oriental, Egyptian, or Medieval. I've seen two identical daggers on ebay. Pretty good blade shape though.
trenchwarfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2015, 04:08 PM   #7
ronpakis

Default Dragon tanto

Hello Henk,

I think the scabbard is indeed, as stated, created for economic purposes instead as for the traditional Japanese market. The blade does not look very wel imho but the pictures are bad. It looks like it has a dent in the cutting edge, not a sharp dent but more like a wave. Perhaps somebody used a grinder? Doe it have a hamon and hada? (When you receive it we will know)

Greetings Ronpakis
ronpakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2015, 07:46 PM   #8
Henk

Hello all,

Thank you for your input.

I followed the advise Spiral gave me and i sent a mail to Aoi Art. I hope they will take the time to give me an answer.

Estcrh,
If there was a description of the seller i would gladly post it, but there is none. I bought it at an auction and i was struck by it for sentimental reasons.

I certainly may hope a grinder wasn't used When i recieve it i'm probably able to tell you more.
For me the value goes beyond the money, although the price i paid wasn't a price bringing up big expectations of a superb blade.
Old 24th January 2015, 07:24 PM   #9
Henk

Default Answer from Aoi Art

This is the answer i became today from Aoi Art.

This unusual engraving was made after the war time.
After the war ended a lot of occupation troops stayed Japan, and Japanese dealers sold as souvenir.
Many soldier bought as a memory of the victory of the war.
So ,you saw the item as same as yours
Old 24th January 2015, 10:10 PM   #10
Nathaniel

Interesting information. Thanks for sharing, Henk. Touristy or not, I definitely appreciate the wood carving by hand..., today it would be done with power tools and probably plastic.
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2015, 02:32 AM   #11
VANDOO
(deceased)

HERE ARE 3 EXAMPLES OF UNUSUAL JAPANESE KNIVES THAT FALL INTO THE SAME CATEGORY AS YOUR EXAMPLE. #1 HAS A YARI SPEAR BLADE AND IS CARVED LIKE A HOKADO FISH #2. JAPANESE SHRIMP OR LOBSTER KNIFE.
#3. SAID TO BE A JAPANESE TEMPLE KNIFE. UNFORTUNATELY I HAVE NO BETTER INFO. BUT THEY FALL IN THE TANTO SIZE RANGE RATHER THAN THE SHORT SWORD SIZE.
Attached Images

VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2015, 11:13 AM   #12
Henk

Thanks Vandoo for sharing your examples. I really like them.
It is just as Nathaniel said. It is absolutely well carved and your temple knife is done with real ivory and horn.
Old 25th January 2015, 11:54 AM   #13
Rich

While the koshirae may be "tourista" the yari blade is definitely not. Occasionally some good blades are found in these type mounts.
Rich S
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2015, 03:28 PM   #14
spiral

Quote:
I followed the advise Spiral gave me and i sent a mail to Aoi Art. I hope they will take the time to give me an answer.
:

Quote:
This is the answer i became today from Aoi Art.

This unusual engraving was made after the war time.
After the war ended a lot of occupation troops stayed Japan, and Japanese dealers sold as souvenir.
Many soldier bought as a memory of the victory of the war.
So ,you saw the item as same as yours
Glad it helped.
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote