Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31st October 2010, 05:53 PM   #1
Valjhun

Default Monstrous Kukri for comment

Hello!

Today I've came across that big Kukri I've bohught some time ago.

The hilt is made from aluminuim and brass. Steel massive and heavy blade measures 50 cm (20 inch) in lenght. Quality made.

Leather covered scabbard with deterioratins suggesting its age.

In fact, it does feel old. Atl least 19th century.

But I just cannot imaging it as a battle piece.

Am I wrong? A tourist piece?
Attached Images

Valjhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2010, 07:11 PM   #2
kronckew

usually the larger ones like this were and are ceremonial, still used for beheading a bullock at religious festivals, as noted too heavy for battle use. the tradition is that the bullock must be beheaded humanely with one blow, and it is bad luck for the whole next year on the wielder and his family and village if he does not. he is shunned till the next year.

they of course do sell touristy ones to the gullible foreigners. this doesn't look like one of those tho.

they are referred to as Janawar katne/katnu = animal cutter. Also known as maar hani, meaning something like "sacrificial killing".

a search here on janawar will bring up more info.

Last edited by kronckew; 31st October 2010 at 07:22 PM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2010, 09:35 PM   #3
Battara
EAAF Staff

Hilts like this I think indicate WWII. The kukri kuks will have more to say on this type.......you guys out there?
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2010, 05:18 AM   #4
Gonzalo G

I am the less idicated to answer, but it seems a Chainpure. Scabbard indicates military and handle maybe from a military musician, but not necessarily.
Better to wait for the experts. Meanwhile, you can search "chainpure" or "chainpuri" on the web. I agree with Battara.
Regards

Gonzalo

Last edited by Gonzalo G; 1st November 2010 at 05:53 AM.
Gonzalo G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2010, 09:23 AM   #5
spiral

These are interesting pieces Valijun, Ive had a few of them, I agree with Kronckew & Battara its a ww2 era piece sold as a sacrificial kukri for maar etc.

This style seems prevelant in the Darjeeling/Assam area & many of all sizes were bought by British & American service personel during ww2. Some of the smaller ones were carried some were for mementoes. The frog indicates it was marketed towards ww2 era soldiers rather than locals as Gonzalo indicates.

The grips are usualy a white metal mixture including large amounts of zinc, rather than aluminium, The blade spines are usualy flat rather than rounded.

I would be interested to know its weight & how far the point of balance is in front of the bolster.

spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2010, 04:15 PM   #6
laEspadaAncha

One of my kukris is very similar to Valjun's in the presence of a large, flared pommel, cross-hatching at both the (brass) bolster and mid-grip (though the grip on my example is made of is horn), similarly slender blade, and most importantly, in the styling of the closed, heart-shaped cho (which is more-or-less an exact match to Valjun's).

But a 20-inch blade? I thought my own example was large, but it falls far short of that monster!

While it is the youngest of my kukri brood, I like it immensely for the large and long double fullered blade, which is signed in Devanagari and monogrammed in Latin alphabet at the choil. Poorly balanced as a weapon IMO, but distinct among my kukris.

My understanding is these come from Chitlange, in Nepal. A couple of the Nepalese production houses still offer this style kukri (click here) - and it seems they are produced with an aluminum handle and brass bolster. A quick search for "Chitlange kukri" will turn up other examples. While the cho is not an exact match on these contemporary examples, it is IMHO similar in that it is closed off... I also agree with others and think the example shown here has a little age.
laEspadaAncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2010, 05:06 PM   #7
Valjhun

Hi,

Thank you everybody fror your helpfull comments.

The balance point is as showed on the nex photo.

The kukri weights 1.430 gramms, withot scabbard.
Attached Images

Valjhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2010, 01:43 PM   #8
spiral

Thanks for the measurments!

Chitlange come with a full length fuller & untill the last few years a bell shaped hilt/pommel. This kukri exhibits none of those features.

6 years ago when I watched these bieng made in Dharan & marketed in Kathmamndo by the various factors, they were still made of white metal then not aluminium.

Perhaps they have changed the alloy recently? or perhaps they got the word Alloy & Aluminium confused. Many westerners also seem to have id problems with alloys after all. With the featured kukri the balance point with an Aluminium handle would be much further forward.

An alloy handle & nearly closed cho do not a chitlange make.

But as they say "whats in a name"

It is definatly a kukri though! {or is that khukri,kookery,khukuri etc.etc. }

spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2010, 07:23 PM   #9
laEspadaAncha

Thanks Spiral for the correction & the information...

Any suggestions for a good resource - online or otherwise - that would serve as a solid reference point for determining a kukri's origin?

Regards,

Chris
laEspadaAncha is offline   Reply With Quote