Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th March 2005, 02:39 PM   #1
mavi1970

Default another old yataghan in my collection

Hi, this is an old yataghan which I have had for quite a while. Its mounted, and as you can see the handle has seen better days, with some deteriation. However, the handle which is of horn, has green inlays which I do not know what they are. Could they be Jade or some form of coral, or just green glass, but glass might not be the one. I do not have a scabbard to this sword. The blade has inscriptions on one side with possibly the makers mark, and on the other side has a sword etched into it, which is quite peculair, has anyone seen this before? the length of the blade is 25 inches and the handle is about 5.5 inches.
any thoughts on origin and or age? thanks again.
Attached Images

mavi1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2005, 05:03 PM   #2
Yannis

The scimitar on the blade and the missing circles in the hilt remind me the Bosnian knifes.
Yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2005, 05:15 PM   #3
mavi1970

what signifies a bosnian yataghan? the green inlaid jewels? i still do not know what they are. they are placed in a manner such as to create a circle, but of 6 or 8 peices.
this sword seems to have seen battle and disposed of due to the deep cuts that could have been caused by another sword. how old do you think this sword is?
Old 11th March 2005, 05:42 PM   #4
Yannis

In the old forum there is a Bosnian knife with these circles they are missing from your hilt and with a scimitar on the blade.
http://www.vikingsword.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002492.html

Of course these circles were common in all Ottoman empire and neighbor countries from Afghanistan to North Africa.
Yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2005, 07:53 PM   #5
Conogre

Are those decorative circles on this piece?
With the one on the blade in particular and the depth of those on the hilt almost seems to suggest that it was inlaid with something that has fallen out, such as a brass dot on the blade, while the hilt may have been pieces of bone or MOP?
It's hard to tell with the very small photos, but is this a possibility?
Mike
Conogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2005, 08:45 PM   #6
mavi1970

hi
i dont think it is mop, because the rest of the handle has this green coloured jewel or stone, it has me baffled, and mop would not fit the overall look of this sword. but then again, who knows. and possibly there was a brass or gold inlay where there is an indentation, and i cannot find any dates, but i would like to have the inscription deciphered but it would have to be done in person and no camera would take a true picture. so what age frame? early 19th or earlier?