Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th October 2006, 05:56 AM   #1
Cyclura99

Default Authentic Moro Shield

Pictures to be posted soon.Its 22 inches across ,perfect condition....

Cy
Cyclura99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2006, 07:22 AM   #2
Dajak

Moro shield
Attached Images

Dajak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2006, 07:23 AM   #3
Dajak

moro shield 2
Attached Images

Old 16th October 2006, 08:32 AM   #4
Bill M

It is a good old shield, larger ones can be more desirable, but I have seen this size and smaller. The only odd thing about it is how clean and red the back is. It may have been re-worked and stained because I am not used to seeing them this way. I have only seen the photos, and not the piece in person so it is hard to say what is going on with the back.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2006, 09:37 AM   #5
Cyclura99

You know the funny thing about REAL authentic objects is that when created by tribal people they used natural pigments and hand carved the objects. These we made to be used, NOT sold . This item has NOT nor ever been reworked or touched in any way IE: restoration....No breaks in the handle ect.... No stain ect.. though you cannot see everything unless its in your hands... Then you can see the patina and well how good it is..

Real color real patina and even had tiny worm holes in the wood on one side in the front atesting to its age.

You know the funny thing BILL M is when I first sent you pics of this MORO shield weeks ago....and you even made me a offer on it .... NOT once did you mentioned about the color of the red... or anything else about its size... Oh but thats right you had plenty of time to send the pics around to your so called experts to get THERE opinions about it.. HOW MUCH should I pay for this ????? This is Not your opinion but someone elses Opinion........

If you need your hand held inorder to decide about buying object you do not belong in the game of collecting ......Just my opinion......

Let me see if the forum memembers would rather have this MORO shield on there wall or your rattan shield...

Lets vote..

Cy

Cy
Cyclura99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2006, 10:37 AM   #6
spiral

I would say wood can be altered to look older or newer easily. Study antique furniture & repairs by skilled cabinet makers to see how easily patina & finnish can be matched.

Cyclura99 It appears to my eye that your shield has never been hung in a smoky hut?

Would you say thats correct? What would the explanation for that be?

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2006, 12:35 PM   #7
Bill M

Chris,

I am glad that you asked. You did offer it to me and I made an offer for what I thought it was worth. That was about half what you asked. You refused to take it.

I turned down buying this shield. If this is an attempt for you to sell it to someone else, I suggest it belongs in the "Sawp" fourm.

I feel that your remarks regarding me would be better handled in private email if you want to continue this.

I do not consider continuing here to be proper for this Forum.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2006, 01:17 PM   #8
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclura99
You know the funny thing about REAL authentic objects is that when created by tribal people they used natural pigments and hand carved the objects. These we made to be used, NOT sold . This item has NOT nor ever been reworked or touched in any way IE: restoration....No breaks in the handle ect.... No stain ect.. though you cannot see everything unless its in your hands... Then you can see the patina and well how good it is..

Real color real patina and even had tiny worm holes in the wood on one side in the front atesting to its age.

You know the funny thing BILL M is when I first sent you pics of this MORO shield weeks ago....and you even made me a offer on it .... NOT once did you mentioned about the color of the red... or anything else about its size... Oh but thats right you had plenty of time to send the pics around to your so called experts to get THERE opinions about it.. HOW MUCH should I pay for this ????? This is Not your opinion but someone elses Opinion........

If you need your hand held inorder to decide about buying object you do not belong in the game of collecting ......Just my opinion......

Let me see if the forum memembers would rather have this MORO shield on there wall or your rattan shield...

Lets vote..

Cy

Cy

No, let's not vote. And let's not continue the personal comments, Cy.

If you don't want comments on things you post, don't post them. If you can't objectively read and respond to someone's posts, place them on ignore.

If you want to disagree with someone, do it civilly or take it to PM or email. Do not conduct your personal arguments here on this forum.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2006, 11:35 PM   #9
Dajak

Hi it is hard to say mostly how old some thing is it don t have to be restained
or recolored it depends mostly is it taken early out of the Hands something
can be made in 1880 and taken in 1882 it has not much use on it but is still from 1880

take a look at the pics I enclosed

first one we see a pic a lot of not old mandau s are look like this one
but closer look this is high quality
This was an gift from the sultan off Kutai to the queen Emma from the Netherlands in 1897

Don t look old if you see the pic

The Rattan shield no patina on it but is a gift from paku Buwono X to our queen Wilhelmina in 1898

So if you have to pay a lot it is with old objects that are expensive better have the provonance and maybe dated papers than the just stories from the sellers or tribal art dealers (like it comes from this collection it has so long in the country and this can be verified by people not on what poeple think my expirience is that there a lot people putting less to medium stuff on the market and telling it is the best just to make money and turn stuff down from other people it is sad that this happend )
Attached Images