Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th September 2007, 10:41 PM   #1
ariel

Default Nepalese Pra-swords

When we think of Nepalese swords, we usually mean Kukri and Kora.
As per Rawson, the story is more comlex.
Until 1324, Nepal was ruled by Indial princes of Mithila. Then, it was conquered by the Rajputs. After that, Gurkhas took over in 1768
Kora was the national sword of the Gurkhas. Kukri , apparently, is a descendant of the ancient Kopis-like swords of Ajanta.
Here is, what I think, the original pra-Kukri. Pay attention that there is no "cho"
Attached Images

ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2007, 04:44 PM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

Ariel, I have heard of this and even seen some examples of Nepalese stuff that does not look "typical". thanks for sharing this.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2007, 06:54 PM   #3
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Question

How long is the back edge on this sword Ariel ?
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2007, 11:10 PM   #4
ariel

No back edge at all. Looks like Sossun Patta, only shortish: the blade is 21.5" straight line from the bottom of the lower handle ring.
Old 30th September 2007, 06:02 AM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This is a most interesting example of 18th century kora, especially with the unusual variant blade form. By the latter 18th century the preferred Gorkhali weapon was the kukri, and it seems that the kora had been for the most part reserved for ceremonial or sacrificial use. While that may well be the case, it seems that many of the kora I have seen are much like this in simplicity, suggesting fighting rather than ceremonial use. Possibly the influence of the so called spear point blade of cavalry sabres is seen on this example, further emphasizing the probability of combat use, despite the lack of weighted end.

It seems generally accepted that both the kukri and the kora share thier probable ancestry from the kopis, and although the direct progression is unclear, they both seem to have existed concurrently. The heavier kukri with its dual purpose attributes both in utility and combat seems to have prevailed in favor, especially as the famed Gurkha regiments were formed in the early 19th century.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2007, 07:42 PM   #6
kai

Hello Jim,

Quote:
This is a most interesting example of 18th century kora, especially with the unusual variant blade form.
I beg to differ: This doesn't seem to be a kora (not even modified from a regular fighting kora blade).

AFAIK it's well established that this hilt type has been used with different blade forms as battlefield weapons. From the top of my head I remember kora blades, regular khukuri blades, recurved sword blades, as well as downcurving sword blades like the one shown above by Ariel (obviously influenced by the soussun patah and yataghan blades). From northern India, there are also the recurved khukuri blades and those "ox cutters" (usually with tulwar hilts?).

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2007, 10:19 PM   #7
spiral

Interesting piece Ariel,

If one goes pre.1800 thier are many unusualy bladed Nepalese weapons, kukri, kora & other strange beasts, some typicle Yataghan shaped even ,most that dont appear in western litriture & collections.

I think the origin of the kukri is still wide open myself, gaps of many centurys in most reasonings, which makes it all debatable.

I think kora were often used in Nepal later than often supposed, not just for sacrafice either. Their have been a few photo about, saddley I dont have rights to them though.

There are still armourys there with lorry loads of rusty, holed, falling apart relics them, realy sad when one sees a few were inlayed in fairly thick gold even & were other what once great pieces. Most serious market traders & of course dealers there can find you 20 or so in a few minutes to peruse.

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2007, 12:49 AM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hello Kai,
Thanks very much for answering!
You are right in that using the term kora for this weapon may be a bit arbitrary, and often specific terminology in describing ethnographic weapons can be both frustrating and misleading. The distinct double roundel hilt seen on the kora of course has been used as well on many variant weapons of the subcontinent, thank you for clarifying that point.

All best regards,
Jim
Old 1st October 2007, 04:42 PM   #9
Andreas Volk

Default reworked kora ?

Very interesting beast ...
might I ask for a close up picture of the tip ? Just to "exclude" that we are looking at a kora with a down-grinded and then reworked and again heat treated tip.

regards

Andreas
Andreas Volk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2007, 05:47 PM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Good point Andreas!!!
....couldnt resist!

This doesnt seem ground down, but I really cant tell, many of the guys have a better eye for those characteristics than I do for sure.

Best regards,
Jim
Old 1st October 2007, 10:17 PM   #11
ariel

Here they are. I cannot detect any sign of alteration: the curve is contiguous, smooth and there are no signs of any work on the area.
Attached Images

Old 2nd October 2007, 01:27 PM   #12
Andreas Volk

Default strange beast

Hello Ariel,
Thank you very much for the close up - that is a strange beast. Actually I was suspecting something like what I tried to describe with the red lines in the attached picture.
As this sword also has a fitting scabbard i already asumed that (even if it was made from cut down kora) the tip would have been properly heat treated etc.
But I agree - from your pictures I can't see any feature that would hint this to be a "grinded/cut down" piece.
So we have to assume that it isn't.

Thanks a lot for the clarification. Something new to look at !

Andreas
Attached Images

Andreas Volk is offline   Reply With Quote