Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th March 2016, 03:59 PM   #31
mrcjgscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirupate
Perhaps you didn't read what I said originally 'An interesting picture there Chris, as it was originally made for my company, and wasn't in production until 2004, note the Tiger (Japanese Tora), by the late Nawaraj'; in other words that particular Kothimora with that particular decoration was made for Tora.
How you magically came to the conclusion that I said that I invented the use of the 'Tiger' on Kothimora is beyond me, and fanciful me thinks!
Can you explain how it was made for your company in 2004 if the example I illustrate was presented in 2002?

That seems rather fanciful to me!
mrcjgscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2016, 04:26 PM   #32
sirupate

Answers in Brackets and bold;

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcjgscott
That is not how I understand it Simon, I believe you sent them some samples, and that was as far as it went. Quite a difference I think, and very misleading to claim you hold any kind of supply contract with them.
(Yes I did send samples, but I also supplied them with some kukri for private purchase buys. In the picture of WO1 Dai Charles and myself in Stonehouse Barracks teaching him and other RM btw, the kukri he is using is one of mine that he purchased off the Gurkha Shop in Brunei, ironic as we only live a couple of miles apart!)

Plenty of mistakes in both museums Simon. Note this image taken recently at Pokhara, clearly showing a WWA replica listed as original.
(I believe that is Spiral's picture from 2005, the museum has long since moved, and the kukri you refer to is not in the new Pokhara museum btw)

You seem to illustrate the “parade” version of the MKV. In uniform terms, a service No1 refers to a soldiers parade uniform. I believe this is where your confusion stems from.
(Outstanding lack of knowledge, if the current kukri were Mk5, it would be called Mk5 Ceremonial or Mk5 Service number one, but it isn't. On all the orders forms and correspondence I have seen for kukri for the Brigade of Gurkhas, there is no mention of Mk5 kukri, it is wholly incorrect to call them a Mk5)

Post WW2 most Gurkha units would have used up the vast stocks of MKII and MKIII left over from the war. Once these were gone, and the MK IV proved unsuccessful, it seems various regiments made their own arrangements until the MKV was decided upon. This took several years, and did not emerge until the mid 1960's.
(Oh really? considering that in WW2 the Gurkhas rarely used the Mk2 and Mk3 that is a fanciful statement of yours, and as the kukri were produced by the 'Indian Army', the kukri produced for the Indian Army after the partition would have remained with the Indian army, especially as the Gurkhas hardly ever used them!)

It has now been in production for over 50 years with some variation, but basically unchanged. Its constant characteristics are a horn handle, brass furniture, and a 10 to 11 inch blade. Not all are marked and dated as you state, but most carry the words “Ordep” or “Ordep Nepal” and a date.
(once again you make up words I am supposed to have said, amazing! at some point in the late 1980's the marking on the issue kukri stopped in the manner I spoke about when the Dharan base shut, for economic reasons, which is (for a while) where they made the kukri for the various Gurkha Regiments , and once again no Gurkha has referred to them as a Mk5!)

*Picture credit V.K.Kunwor*
Attached Images

sirupate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2016, 04:27 PM   #33
sirupate

Quote:
Can you explain how it was made for your company in 2004 if the example I illustrate was presented in 2002?
That seems rather fanciful to me!
I suggest it is yourself that is being fanciful!
Old 4th March 2016, 05:12 PM   #34
sirupate

Answers in Brackets and bold
Quote:
As to the photographs you allude to, I have taken the liberty of attaching them here:

The picture of Lieutenant Tul Bahadur Pun VC (To afford a brave man his full title)

Clearly not a MKV. Obviously one of those “interim” issue kukri you mention, or perhaps a private purchase piece? Victoria Cross winners are usually cut quite a lot of leeway, especially in publicity photographs. But certainly not a MKV.
(I have a better picture TulbahadurPun's kukri, which is clearly one of the interim kukri supplied to the Gurkhas, surely you are aware that the Gurkhas in Official Photo's have to be wearing and using 'Official' Issue kit? and also in the 1953 picture Tulbahadur Pun is not wear the Lieutenant shoulder patch!)

Chan Bahadur Gurung isn’t holding a MKV either, and that image dates from 1962. (Image Credit Getty Images)
(correct! he is using one of the interim kukri I was talking about, 1962 issue! A picture attached)

Lalbahadur Gurung appears to be holding a MKIII. (Image Credit: Taken from "The Gurkha" by James and Small, Published 1966)
(lol, a Mk3, seriously? Just a quick look and there is a bolster, and then look at the kaudi!, then just look at the shape of the blade!, this extremely poor observation of yours puts into question the accuracy of your observations and comments about kukri!)

And as for this:
I don’t think this esteemed forum is really the place to advertise your ailing kukri business, do you Simon? Most of these advertising/self promotional video’s are so filled with errors they really are laughable, not to mention misleading and unhelpful.
(Well you put the picture up of my companies kukri that we used to produce, I'm hardly doing the advertising!
I think you have a cheek saying my videos are full of inaccuracies, when on every point you have question me about something from Kotli Loharan kukri to Goparsing (on another thread here, which you kept strangely quiet about!) and everything in-between I have proved you to be wrong and totally inaccurate!)
Attached Images

Old 4th March 2016, 05:13 PM   #35
mrcjgscott

As usual, I am seeing a lot of "Simon Says" and not a lot of evidence to back it up.

Quote:
Yes I did send samples, but I also supplied them with some kukri for private purchase buys
So you didn't supply them. You sent some freebies and some Gurkhas bought some privately. Very VERY different!!

Quote:
On all the orders forms and correspondence I have seen for kukri for the Brigade of Gurkhas
Evidence?

Quote:
Oh really? considering that in WW2 the Gurkhas rarely used the Mk2 and Mk3 that is a fanciful statement of yours
Images attached, showing these kukri in use by gurkhas during WW2.
(You really need some more synonyms for the word "Fanciful")

Quote:
(once again you make up words I am supposed to have said, amazing!
Really? Did I make this up?

Quote:
PS Kukri in the Falklands War had blades around 28cm with issue date
Oh, no, I didn't.

Quote:
I suggest it is yourself that is being fanciful!
It is quite clearly dated two years before you allege to have created it.
Attached Images

Old 4th March 2016, 05:21 PM   #36
mrcjgscott

Quote:
I think you have a cheek saying my videos are full of inaccuracies, when on every point you have question me about something from Kotli Loharan kukri to Goparsing (on another thread here, which you kept strangely quiet about!) and everything in-between I have proved you to be wrong and totally inaccurate!)[/B]
You can't even stay on the topic we are supposed to be discussing!!

Are you really still trying to claim that the image which your extravagantly coiffured chum is obscuring with his finger has rings?! And was issued?!

That was disproved last year.

Chewing over the same old topics, which we patently don't agree on, gets us nowhere.

If you wish to discuss it open another thread and stop hijacking Harry's!!

I am beginning to think you have a personal issue against me, as you have followed me here from SFI and British Blades after you were banned from those forums for your behaviour.
Old 4th March 2016, 05:30 PM   #37
sirupate

Once again answers in brackets and in bold, to these rather stupid and childish nitpickings
Quote:
As usual, I am seeing a lot of "Simon Says" and not a lot of evidence to back it up.
So you didn't supply them. You sent some freebies and some Gurkhas bought some privately. Very VERY different!!

(Again twisting my words lol)

Images attached, showing these kukri in use by gurkhas during WW2.
(You really need some more synonyms for the word "Fanciful")
(Again your observations are very poor at best, no Mk2 or Mk3 kukri in those pictures, once again you are simply showing yourself up!)

Really? Did I make this up? Oh, no, I didn't. It is quite clearly dated two years before you allege to have created it.
(Lol, really fanciful, even my wife recognised it, she was with me in 2003 when I discussed with Tilak about the design)

It seems a shame that your sole object in life is to try and have a go at me, and yet at every turn you are proven wrong, infact you sound more and more like another person we both know, I'm beginning to think your his twin! lol

Anyway I have had enough of proving you wrong yet again, so this is my last comment on this thread, relax have a glass of red wine and chill out, the very best Simon
Old 4th March 2016, 06:02 PM   #38
mrcjgscott

Quote:
It seems a shame that your sole object in life is to try and have a go at me, and yet at every turn you are proven wrong
I couldn't really care less about you, but when you post nonsense about the subject I care about, somebody has to try and correct you...but I haven't seen you prove me wrong yet.

Unlike you, I am happy to be proven wrong if it furthers our collective knowledge, whereas you don't seem too keen on losing face. A shame really, if we could find common ground we might be able to learn more about the subject we are both interested in.

Quote:
so this is my last comment on this thread, relax have a glass of red wine and chill out, the very best Simon
The most sensible thing you've said in the whole thread...