Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 6th May 2012, 07:14 PM   #1
Spunjer

Thumbs up Robotic Kris

...if the Iron Man were to carry a kris, i envisioned it would kinda look like this. i mean look at it; it's so - robotic, for better lack of terms. let's start with the handle. the pommel is a solid piece; heavy and appears to have been molded. as far as material: brass perhaps? looking at the nooks and crannies, i see verdigris. but what's throwing me off is how it's uniform throughout and smooth where the hand holding it should be. going to the grip part, it's a single wrapped brass wire the size of sewing thread.
now onto the blade.
starting with the gangya: talismanic inlays in the form of both asterisks and discs made out of brass. the blade is held by two silver asang-asang, and a silver breastplate on both side. now here's were it starts to get weird. the center panel exactly four and a half inches from the bottom of the gangya is actually a separate piece altogether. the outline is marked by the brass asterisks. i'm thinking those two brass buttons is what's holding the rest of the blade and the center panel together. perhaps the silver breastplate as well. (check this thread out: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=6947)
Attached Images

Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2012, 07:15 PM   #2
Spunjer

the blade has dual fullers; center one being much wider than the other one. here's weird number two. not all that unusual really, but it's something you don't see everyday. if you look at the overall profile of the blade, it has that yataghan-like curve. i know there was something odd about it at first. once i placed it next to a straight edge, you could really tell.
well, hope y'all like this neat kris....
Attached Images

Old 6th May 2012, 08:06 PM   #3
ThePepperSkull

Incredible piece! I've seen kris bases welded to the rest of the blade before, but this is the first time I've seen one where the weld lines are covered up by decorative/talismanic inlays. Beautiful!

How do you supposed they made their metal pommels, ron? I remember reading somewhere that some Lumad tribes (I can't recall if it was the T'boli or the Mandaya) used a Lost-wax casting method. Would this be how Moro craftsmen made theirs? Also interesting to note is the size of the kakatua pommel. A lot of the metal ones I see are the bigger, more ornate pieces to regular-sized as opposed to this one which seems a very diminutive, but field-functional kakatua size.

Another thing I wan to point out is how the fullers terminate at the tip. Instead of stopping before the top ends, the fuller continues on into the tip of the blade. I've seen this in many a fullered moro kris. Is this a sign of a blade being shortened, or were these fullers made this way to continue into the tip instead of terminating an inch or two before it?

Last edited by ThePepperSkull; 6th May 2012 at 08:31 PM.
ThePepperSkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2012, 09:49 PM   #4
DaveA

Default Incredible

I love this kris! "Robotic" or not, it certainly exudes strength. Thanks for sharing.
DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2012, 10:14 PM   #5
Sajen

Just come home with my son from cinema, "Marvel's The Avengers"! You are right, this kris could be from Iron Man!!

Congrats to this unique and beautiful kris!

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2012, 11:31 PM   #6
Spunjer

Thanks!
Regarding the pommel, I think your point is valid about the pommel being casted using the lost wax method. What baffles me is the shape of it. There was a lumad kris posted by migueldiaz on my thread, and it seem to be an exact replica of a typical pommel. This one just look a tad futuristic for its time, lol...
I notice the fuller as well, in that it extends all the way to the tip. With everything else pretty much unconventional, I wouldn't be surprise if this was done on purpose...
Old 7th May 2012, 12:59 AM   #7
kino

Spunjer, nice kris. It must have some heft to it, considering the solid metal pommel. Do you think at it's early development it had a silver panel on both sides of the blade within the brass inlays. Like the photo below.
Just a thought.
Did I mention that, that's a nice kris..........sigh....
Attached Images

kino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 03:25 AM   #8
Spunjer

C'mon brah, ya need to post a full body shot of that beaut...
Seems to me they belong in the same category. Notice how the asterisks continue past the gangya line and follow the fretwork. Is the center panel on yours silver? I don't think mine is an earlier version; rather, I think yours is just the blingy type.
Old 7th May 2012, 05:22 AM   #9
kino

If it were only mine, then I would've posted a full length photo.
Sorry homie.
kino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 12:06 PM   #10
Spunjer

ah, sayang, pre..
as far as heft: not much heftier than a kris of the same size... as a matter of fact, it's balanced as heck. it perfectly counteracts the arc of the blade. the blade is beefier than normal tho.
of note as well is a copper wire wedged between the handle and blade (visible on pic 2). can't figure what it is. only thing i can think of is perhaps it was used for a munsala cloth at one time...
Old 7th May 2012, 01:13 PM   #11
A.alnakkas

Wow what a nice piece, thanks for sharing mate! now ship it to me please. :P
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 05:13 PM   #12
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunjer
ah, sayang, pre..
LOL!
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 06:52 PM   #13
Dimasalang

All I have to add here.... WOW thats an awesome piece Ron!!
Dimasalang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2012, 03:21 PM   #14
mross

Does that center-panel go all the way through or is it like an inlay?
mross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2012, 03:28 PM   #15
Maurice

Congrats with this beauty Ron!

As unique as it is, I specially like this old talismanic blade......

Maurice
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2012, 05:19 PM   #16
Spunjer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mross
Does that center-panel go all the way through or is it like an inlay?
It appears to go through, mross. IMO it was folded over the blade (think poncho) and peened by those two brass buttons. The silver plate is an enigma though: it's actually raised so I'm not sure if it goes right thru, or if it's two separate pieces somehow glued opposite to each other...
Thanks Maurice. Somehow I'm on this talismanic kick lately, lol...
Old 9th May 2012, 05:58 PM   #17
mross

Quote:
It appears to go through, mross. IMO it was folded over the blade (think poncho) and peened by those two brass buttons. The silver plate is an enigma though: it's actually raised so I'm not sure if it goes right thru, or if it's two separate pieces somehow glued opposite to each other...
Thanks Maurice. Somehow I'm on this talismanic kick lately, lol...
Any chance that silver plate has a section that goes under the ganja? If so it could be like a clamp to help hold the other section in place.
Old 9th May 2012, 08:14 PM   #18
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Any chance that silver plate has a section that goes under the ganja? If so it could be like a clamp to help hold the other section in place.
I think that if you look closely at the close-up, it clearly does not.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2012, 09:26 PM   #19
mross

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I think that if you look closely at the close-up, it clearly does not.
Well I looked at the close up real closely and could not be certain if it was metal over top or just accumulated dirt and such, which is way I asked. Why does a question to be certain bother you so much?
Old 10th May 2012, 01:02 AM   #20
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Well I looked at the close up real closely and could not be certain if it was metal over top or just accumulated dirt and such, which is way I asked. Why does a question to be certain bother you so much?
I am not sure in what way, shape or form you felt that your question bothered me....in any way, lest of all "so much". I responded because after i looked at the close-up (5th photo i think) it appeared obvious to me. If it's not to you that is OK and i don't believe i made any statements to the contrary. Even ended my statement with a shrug. Not sure what you are looking for here.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 01:14 AM   #21
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Question

A question for Ron:
Do the fullers both run right off the tip ?
If that is the case then I would wonder if the blade has been shortened or reshaped, or even incorporated from a non-Moro blade .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 02:17 AM   #22
Spunjer

Quote:
mross, that's what i thought at first, but upon closer look, it doesn't have a section that goes under. what i'm not sure of, is if it goes thru the center panel itself. around the silver plate itself, it seems to be indented. here's another angle.
Attached Images

Old 10th May 2012, 02:45 AM   #23
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

With all the decorative motifs present on this sword I would have to think that the silver piece in the blade base (sorsoran in Jawa terms) is probably decorative ... unless it possibly covers a replaced/repaired tang, that is .

I'm sure you don't want to etch this sword; but I would bet it would answer a couple of questions anyway .
Old 10th May 2012, 02:46 AM   #24
Spunjer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
A question for Ron:
Do the fullers both run right off the tip ?
If that is the case then I would wonder if the blade has been shortened or reshaped, or even incorporated from a non-Moro blade
yes, it does, rick. good point on incorporating a non-moro. the over all shape does throw me off, lol..
Old 10th May 2012, 02:56 AM   #25
Spunjer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
With all the decorative motifs present on this sword I would have to think that the silver piece in the blade base (sorsoran in Jawa terms) is probably decorative ... unless it possibly covers a replaced/repaired tang, that is .
it seems to be the silver plate is the fancy version of what was discussed on this thread:
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=6947. what i'm wondering is, is it a tang repair, or is it a specific type of kris? kino's example above seems to be a similar type, albeit blinged out..
Old 10th May 2012, 02:57 AM   #26
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Quote:
yes, it does, rick. good point on incorporating a non-moro. the over all shape does throw me off, lol..
I just can't figure out what (if it is a foreign blade added here) that sword would have originally been ...

Fun mystery we've got here .
Old 10th May 2012, 03:25 AM   #27
Spunjer

hehe, love these kinda blades. it bucks the system. here's the close up of the tip. is that wootz? (wishing). btw, i haven't really cleaned the blade yet, just the usual preliminary surface grime removal. will try to etch this when i get some free time...
Attached Images

Old 10th May 2012, 02:00 PM   #28
mross

The tip does look cut off and reprofiled. Wootz is a possibility as I was thinking I saw evidence of a twist core in some of the photo's! Very intresting blade, should give you a good study. I'm still wondering about that silver piece and the ganja. The other view helped a bit, that view showed more metal then what original looked like accumulated debris. I agree it most likely is hiding something under it. I would not etch the blade near the inlays but why not etch near the tip? Sort of like opening a window in the Nihonto world.
Old 14th May 2012, 09:12 AM   #29
migueldiaz

very nice indeed, mr. z! thanks for the pics!
migueldiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2012, 08:03 AM   #30
delor

Quote:
the center panel exactly four and a half inches from the bottom of the gangya is actually a separate piece altogether. the outline is marked by the brass asterisks.
Hello Spunjer,
I am not sure the center panel is a separate piece... looking at the close-up photos, I can't tell whether the line is a welding line or is an engraved one for brass inlay, just the same as for the stars.
By the way, the silver plate might hide the welding of the tang onto the blade...
delor is offline   Reply With Quote