Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th February 2024, 06:38 AM   #1
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Question An unusual African knife was a big surprise at auction

As part of a newly found interest in African knives, I found an interesting looking knife on an international auction site. The style was unfamiliar to me, and I did some research on the African Weapons web site and concluded it looked most like an Ingessana knife from the Sudan. The auctioneer's estimate was 20–40 GBP. I thought it sounded like worth taking a chance on getting it at that price, and duly bid 40 GBP thinking that should be enough.

Imagine my surprise when it came up and the bids just came rolling in. My bid was left way, way in the dust. The hammer price alone was nearly 20 times the auctioneer's top estimate (not to mention the additional expense of a buyer's premium and shipping)! Quite a boilover.

My question to the African arms collectors here is, what the heck is this thing and why did it attract so much attention?

Attached Images

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2024, 06:50 AM   #2
Tim Simmons

Perhaps the handle is Rhino horn. Still a silly high price to my mind. One will be stuck with it being worthless in a international market.

Also no scabbard so in reality just another African blade and not that remarkable.

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 9th February 2024 at 07:02 AM.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2024, 07:39 AM   #3
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Tim, not sure what the hilt material might be. I had thought it was wood. The hilt seems to be in two pieces. As you say, a rather modest piece that several people pursued energetically.

Last edited by Ian; 10th February 2024 at 03:32 AM.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2024, 10:42 AM   #4
Tim Simmons

Hi Ian ,

I am not sure what it is however I now think it is not Rhino. Wood or bovine horn. I am starting to think it is even not that old, rather heavy file marks and no patina or attempts at a fine surface. Surely Rhino horn is prestige material and I would expect to see that in the finish. The blade does not look particularly old. Might be one of those occasions when bidding gets out of control.
Old 9th February 2024, 10:57 AM   #5
werecow

The blade reminds me of the ones you see on some of the Tebu swords and daggers.
Attached Images

werecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2024, 02:41 PM   #6
Tim Simmons

The blades are very similar and the form matches to some degree but I have a strong feeling that I have seen one before and was labeled Sudan however that is a huge area and could depend on what is included in Sudan. I have been searching all the information on African arms I have and not found anything to confirm that feeling.