Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 10th January 2018, 12:04 PM   #1
Piper

Default Omani Khunjars

I have a number of Khunjar's with ages and history but I have two that I have nothing on. Can anyone help me with approximate dates of each..?? I believe they are quite modern but that's it. One has a leather case with a metal breast plate and bone handle and the other is a silver coloured (aluminium?) metal case and bone or plastic handle. Should be clear on the photos. Thank you
Attached Images

Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2018, 06:28 PM   #2
kahnjar1

Hi Piper and welcome to the Forum.
IMHO the top item is Yemeni and the lower one of Saudi manufacture.
I believe that both are relatively modern and look to be made for the general/tourist market.
If you use the "Search" function along the bar at the top of the page and key in "The Omani Khanjar" you will find plenty of information and discussion on the Omani Khanjar.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2018, 09:48 AM   #3
Piper

Default Khunjars

Stu, thank you very much for your welcome and the post all very helpful and certainly clarify matters for me.

I don't wish to cheeky and this is away from the original post, but would you have any idea on the origin and age of the sword - pics attached. Hard to photograph where we have it mounted on a wall. We love it and it always prompts positive comments.

Many thanks again.

Gordon
Attached Images

Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2018, 04:11 AM   #4
kahnjar1

Hi Gordon,
Yemeni sword. I once had 3 of these with very similar scabbard decoration but they have since been "passed on". The 3 I had, had different shaped blades, 1 was like yours with a straight blade. The other 2 had curved blades, but the scabbard work was similar to yours with white metal chape and drag and the wound metal along the scabbard length.
Not sure about them being used in actual combat but nice anyway.
Hope this helps.
P.S If you wish to PM me for "off topic" questions please feel free.... Or email bevnstu99@gmail.com
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote