Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th May 2005, 06:23 AM   #1
tom hyle

Default Miscellaneous items of interest

Pictures to Conogre for posting.
A photo of a wall display I made out of an old window frame from a junk pile at Therion's house. Chock full o'fun.
A French(?) round tip butchering cleaver with sharp yelman! Sourced out of England. Every surface you see is paint, including the wood; I picture some old English lady painting these butterflies and stuff, but painting the wooden handle wood colour is just the crowning touch
Knife and fork, tempered steel, knves marked "V R (for Victoria Regina) Wm Jackson & Sons Sheaf Island Works Sheffeild" The forks are marked simply "steel". The light area you see at the base of the knife blade is where the tang is scarf welded on.
An unknown Japanese knife. A weld line is clearly visible on the center of the spine. Knife has been reground semicrudely; I don't yet know how much it's been altered etc; bevel is now central, which isn't unkown on traditional Japanese knives, but is unusual.
Large, heavy, forged butchering knife; bowie; there, I said it. Excavated condition, c19? I lost the address of where I got this from.
An excavated knife from Monterey Mexico. Oddly the angled part of the tip is flat like the blade's spine; totally unsharpened.
A couple pics of my "Me Fecit Salingen" sword; a hanger. seen beside the dha I got from Justin just for fun/comparison. Note the ragged edge at the tip; this is not from rust; it is edge damage from crooked cuts and other swords; I think the crooked cuts were caused by an old bad replacement handle; the piece of antler you see.
Also a photo of the same sword in progress; the sheath mostly carved, but not yet leathered over; the hilt assembled using a c1800 hunting sword guard and a fierce cat face from a fragment of ornamental (lamp-hanging?) chain. All but the 3 worst nicks have been ground out (and those sharpened), and about 5/8" of split/delamintated tip has been shortened back. Things are looking up for this sword
Also, sketched of a short Tuareg spear.

Last edited by tom hyle; 17th May 2005 at 06:42 AM.
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote