Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st November 2013, 07:13 PM   #1
Sajen

Default Flyssa dagger for comment

I have won this flyssa dagger from a german auction house. It is 40 cm long and I think that it has some age, around first half of the last century?
Not direct my area of collecting so I appreciate all comments. Until now I have only this picture from the auction, will post more when I have received it.
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 07:30 PM   #2
Emanuel

Hi Sajen,

At the earliest I'd say second half or the end of the 19th century. The Iflissen stopped producing flyssa by around 1850, and other tribes started making the knife-sized ones for local and foreign consumption.

I don't know how far into the 20th century these were made before they switched to the "wedding nimcha" style with thin blades. Have a look at this thread for relevant images.

Emanuel

Last edited by Emanuel; 21st November 2013 at 09:04 PM.
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 08:27 PM   #3
Sajen

Hi Emanuel,

thank you for fast respond, have hoped that you comment!

So it's older as I have thought.

Can you tell me something about the "quality"?

Best regards,

Detlef
Old 21st November 2013, 08:51 PM   #4
Emanuel

Hi Detlef,

Addicts are predictable

We should be able to tell more when you receive it and can take pictures. Based on this photo I think your example shows somewhat lower quality, especially on the handle. At some late time, craftsmen started simplifying the designs, so instead of foliate scrolls on early flyssa, you get a simple zigzag pattern and no eyes or detailing on the pommel. The bolster has small proportions and no decoration. Usually it would be half the length of the handle and it would have brass decoration on the sides and the spine.

Your blade looks pristine and polished. Maybe another indication that it wasn't used in its life. The scabbard makes me think it's still a 19th century example, even though the carved decoration is reduced to the zigzags. Here is how it becomes the "wedding nimcha" by 1876 (http://vikingsword.com/vb/showpost.p...36&postcount=9), 1883 (http://vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10136) and this is probably the end of "development"(http://vikingsword.com/vb/showpost.p...5&postcount=23).

I attach some pictures of my small example. I think It's pretty good when compared with the old long flyssa. When you receive yours please measure the thickness of the spine at the base of the blade and check the distal taper. I wonder how many of these are cut down from older blades.

Cheers!
Emanuel
Attached Images

Last edited by Emanuel; 21st November 2013 at 09:40 PM.
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 10:52 PM   #5
Sajen

Your flyssa is just stunning!

Will post pictures and exact measurements when I have received it.

Thank you again and regards,

Detlef