Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th January 2009, 01:08 PM   #1
tunggulametung

Default Minang Kerih

Hello guys,

I'm new to this.
I recently acquire a Minang kerih without pendokok and buntut. A 'standard' 3 luk 21 cm blade. Crude finish, but love at the first sight, what can I say?

Anybody has a twin of this kerih sheath? I wanted to restore the buntut but am not sure about the appropriate shape for such sampir. Also, any recommendation for the material? Wood, buffalo horn, ivory? And is there anybody know where to find Minang pendokok or to commision one? Any artist still active in Minangkabau area?

Thanks
Attached Images

tunggulametung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2009, 06:16 PM   #2
Sajen

Hello Chandra,
very nice find. A similar keris is shown in Jensen Krisdisk, chapter 9.2, 17.
I have a similar keris - the buntut was also missing. I let restore it by buffalo horn but it become a little bit to small; sadly no good restauration. The blade from my one is very moore crude then yours. When I find time I will take some pictures.
Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2009, 03:21 PM   #3
tunggulametung

Thanks Pak Detlef, I will manage to get that krisdisk on February as the seller will soon on travel. Sure it will be a good reference.

No hurry about the example from your collection Pak Detlef, but that will be nice to see one day, thank you.

I still have a buffalo horn if one day you decided to replace again, or for other keris set. This one I purchase over two years ago, not very big, but enough for 3-4 buntut it seems. Half of it, about 20 cm is usable (not hollow). Also if anybody else planning a horn buntut do pm me I'm willing to share (free).
Attached Images

Old 17th January 2009, 03:30 PM   #4
Sajen

Salam malam Pak Chandra, thank's a lot for this generous offer. The problem is that for place a new buntut it is necessay to cut down a little bit the gandar and then it is not enough place anymore for the wilah/blade.
Here the pictures fom my example.
Regards,
Detlef
Old 17th January 2009, 03:33 PM   #5
Sajen

the pictures:
Attached Images

Old 17th January 2009, 03:52 PM   #6
tunggulametung

Thanks Pak Detlef,

That sad about the gandar. You right rather too small seen from here. But I think it is okay that way, nothing is perfect anyway . You still can check anytime about the horn material if you need it one day.

Thank you for your example, the sampir style is first time I saw, interesting variation. Also love the pendokok. Thanks again.