Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10th December 2013, 04:30 PM   #1
cornelistromp

Default dagger series, small landsknecht dagger 1520

there are a number of daggers in my collection that are interesting to post on this forum , as an example , however, that at least I hope .

I will limit myself to two main types of the 15th and 16th centuries , the ballock and the rondel dagger and daggers that arrise from these types.
these daggers seem at first , unique in its kind but later it almost always turns out again that similar daggers can be found in art and literature, in style and blade geometry.

the first dagger is a landsknecht dagger of 26cm lenght of the rondel type.
the blade has a intersting geometry , a flat side and one side with three faces of different width, one with a fuller, making that two different cutting edges/angles occur.
A dagger of similar type with the same blade geometry is published in laking part III 1907 , see Annex

The pommel is mushroom shaped with a rounded bulge ,the further you get into the 16th century, the rounder the pommel on rondel daggers becomes, i noticed .

the grip is formed outof a steel sleeve with a small band as decoration .
the parry plate/rods is formed as a pair of glasses , a phenomenon also seen at two beautiful daggers in the Met-museum.
Attached Images

Last edited by cornelistromp; 10th December 2013 at 04:43 PM.
cornelistromp is offline   Reply With Quote