Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 25th August 2012, 04:42 AM   #1
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile MOST DESIRED OCEANIC WAR CLUBS: 2 COOK ISLANDS

THIS IS AN UNCOMMON CLUB AND NOT AS WELL KNOWN AS THE FIRST CLUB. YOU CAN SEE NICE EXAMPLES IN THE MUSEUM IN AUKLAND N.Z.
THESE CLUBS COME FROM THE COOK ISLANDS AND CAN BE FROM 6 TO 9 FEET LONG. THERE IS A LITTLE INFORMATION ON THEM IN PARTINGTON'S BOOK ON PAGE 6.
IT IS ONE OF MY FAVORITES AS IT REMINDS ME OF THE KNAPPED STONE POINTS I FIND AROUND HERE. THERE ARE NOT MANY PICTURES AVAILABLE OF THESE CLUBS THE MOST I HAVE SEEN ARE IN OLDMANS CATALOGS.
I HAVE SEEN THE CLUB REFERRED TO AS AKATARA CLUB BUT DON'T KNOW THE REFRENCE THE NAME CAME FROM.
IDENTIFIED IN PARTINGTON'S BOOK AS COMING FROM MANGAIA ISLAND WHICH IS THE SECOND LARGEST ISLAND IN THE GROUP AFTER RARATONGA. THE EXAMPLES SHOWN IN PARTINGTONS BOOK ARE 6 FOOT 5 INCHES, 7 FOOT 11 IN. AND 9 FT. 3 INCHES LONG. I WILL SEE IF I CAN FIND OLDMANS CATALOG TO SEE IF THERE IS MORE INFORMATION THERE.
I INCLUDE TWO PICTURES OF STONE POINTS FOR COMPARISON. THE SERRATED EDGE WAS AROUND IN STONE AND WOOD LONG BEFORE IT WAS DONE IN METAL.
EXCUSE THE OTHER MATERIAL IN SOME PICTURES AS I CAN'T CROP PHOTOS AS MY SOFTWARE IS KAPUT. THERE ARE SEVERAL PICTURES OF THE SAME CLUB SHOWING VARIOUS PARTS IT WAS SOLD AT AUCTION A WHILE BACK SO I DON'T KNOW ITS AGE BUT IT IS WELL MADE. THE TRIBES IN THE COOKS WERE OF MAORI STOCK. BUT NOTE THE EYES BELOW THE CLUB HEAD IT LOOKS A BIT MARQUESAN.
Attached Images

Last edited by VANDOO; 25th August 2012 at 04:53 AM.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2012, 11:47 AM   #2
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
I INCLUDE TWO PICTURES OF STONE POINTS FOR COMPARISON. THE SERRATED EDGE WAS AROUND IN STONE AND WOOD LONG BEFORE IT WAS DONE IN METAL..
Hi Vandoo
funny, was my thought when I saw the metal blade in shape of prehistoric artifacts ... in stone
I've several heads arrow in stone, I've collected them in South Algerian (Timimoun area) Sahara, where I've been resident for years, stone artifacts old ± 5500 years
one of them has exactly the same barbs, and then when I've read your comments,
I've laughed, you was fully correct, look at my pic

à +

Dom
Attached Images

Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2012, 06:10 PM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

ONE MORE PICTURE SHOWING THE CLUB AND A SPEAR. THIS FORM OF CLUB MAY BE BOTH CLUB AND SPEAR IN FUNCTION SORT OF LIKE A POLE ARM. THE OTHER IS LIKELY ONLY USED AS A SPEAR. PERHAPS SOMEONE WITH BETTER REFRENCES ON THE WEAPONS OF THE COOK ISLANDS CAN ELABORATE.
Attached Images

Old 7th February 2013, 01:32 AM   #4
Diceman

This might help?

From, Pacific Encounters by Hooper
Attached Images

Diceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2013, 02:20 PM   #5
T. Koch

I've just seen one of these guys estimated at $100,000 - 150,000.- at an upcoming auction.

Weird then, that the book desribes it as "common in collections"... Although, I guess it depends on who your collector friends are?

Holy crap, I want one soooooo bad!!

Thanks for posting the picture - I hope this thread lives on for long and keeps growing!

Best regards, - Thor
T. Koch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2013, 12:23 AM   #6
Diceman

I saw that too. I also saw one go for over 300k in 2010.

I have more info on these in some of my reference books, I will see what I can come up with.
Diceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2013, 06:54 PM   #7
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

THREE PICTURES OF A HAND CLUB SAID TO BE FROM THE COOK ISLANDS IT WAS CALLED POO RAPA AND IS 14.5 INCHES LONG AND 5 INCHES WIDE, ESTIMATED COLLECTION DATE 1910 TO 1940. LIKELY A CEREMONIAL ITEM RATHER THAN A WAR CLUB UNLESS USED SOMEWHAT LIKE A WAR FAN MOSTLY FOR DEFELCTING AND BLOCKING. I HAVE NO REFRENCE EXCEPT WHAT WAS PROVIDED BY THE SELLER.
ONE PICTURE OF A SOUVINEER CLUB SUCH AS YOU WOULD FIND IN THE COOK ISLANDS TODAY.
Attached Images

Old 25th September 2013, 02:56 AM   #8
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

I FOUND SOME NEW INFORMATION ON THE COOK ISLANDS, RARATONGA ISLAND AND MANGAIAN ISLAND CLUBS. FIND FULL INFORMATION HERE.

http://nzetc.victoria.ac.nz/tm/schol...cArts286a.html

1. RARATONGA CLUBS
2, 3 & 4. MANGAIAN SHORT CLUB
5.RARATONGAN SPEARS
6. RARATONGAN CLUBS
7. RARATONGAN SHORT CLUB
8. RARATONGAN CLUB SHOULDER DESIGNS
Attached Images

Last edited by VANDOO; 25th September 2013 at 03:30 AM.
Old 1st October 2013, 05:32 AM   #9
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

THE COOK ISLANDS WERE KNOWN AS THE HERVEY ISLANDS BEFORE IT WAS CHANGED TO THE COOK IS. HERE IS A DRAWING OF WEAPONS FROM THE HERVEY IS. TIMES. THE ARTICLE IS FROM 1867.
PICTURE 2 & 3 RARATONGA, COOK ISLANDS OLD TRADITIONAL CEREMONY WITH WEAPONS MASKS ECT.
Attached Images

Last edited by VANDOO; 1st October 2013 at 06:22 AM.
Old 27th December 2013, 06:59 PM   #10
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

I AM ADDING THIS PICTURE OF A SHORT CLUB FROM ANOTHER POST TO THE COOK ISLAND REFRENCE. GOOD PICTURES AND EXAMPLES ARE HARD TO COME BY
Attached Images

Old 28th December 2013, 02:51 PM   #11
colin henshaw

Nice thread VANDOO, keep it going...

Just to mention - the wooden spear on the right in post no. 3 is from the Austral Islands, not Cook Islands, as far as I know.

Regards
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2013, 05:30 PM   #12
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

IT IS OFTEN DIFFICULT TO KNOW WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING AT ON THE INTERNET. THE PICTURE YOU MENTION HAD NO TEXT SO I RECOGNIZED ONE CLUB AS DEFINITELY FROM THE COOK ISLANDS SO ASSUMED THE OTHER ITEM WAS FROM THERE ALSO. THE PRESENCE OF WHAT APPEARED TO BE THE EYE CARVINGS BELOW THE POINT FURTHER MADE ME SUSPECT THE TWO WERE FROM THE SAME SOURCE ( THANKS FOR THE CORRECTION .
OFTEN ANY TEXT PICTURED IS TOO SMALL TO READ MAKEING IT EVEN MORE OF A GUESSING GAME. GOOD HARD COPY REFRENCES ARE ALWAYS MORE DESIRABLE BUT SO MUCH IS UNAVAILABLE OR BEYOND MY PRICE RANGE GETTING THE ODD BIT FROM THE INTERNET IS OFTEN THE ONLY EASY SOURCE. THESE POSTS ARE NOT GOING TO BE PERFECT AND MISTAKES WILL BE MADE BUT GETTING TOGETHER AS MANY PICTURES AND REFRENCE TOGETHER IN ONE PLACE IS THE OBJECT. THAT IS WHY ANY CORECTIONS OR ADDITIONS TO THE TOPIC ARE IMPORTANT AND MUCH APRECIATED AS I HOPE NOT TO PERPETUATE ANY INCORECT INFORMATION OR CREATE ANY NEW MIS-INFORMATION. HOPEFULLY THESE POSTS ON CLUBS WILL CONTINUE TO BE CORRECTED, MODIFIED AND GROW AS MORE MATERIAL BECOMES AVAILABLE.
Old 27th December 2014, 02:48 PM   #13
kronckew

ref. link: Poo Rapa thread with a few more pics.

POO RAPA short club, attributed to Rarotonga, Cook islands:

looks like a traditional form as in the posts above. does not appear to be very old. listed as 'vintage' circa mid 20th c.

13.75 in long 5.5 in. across the blade 5/8in. thick. hardwood.

it weighs 260 grams (0.57 lb or 9.17 oz.)

the serrated 'edge' is sharp all the way around. there is some very slight wear on the short edge, leading me to think it has been used, and that it is used like an axe, and by thrusting like a maori patu. there is a very small chip off the rounded exterior 'corner' of the short edge. the grip is not uncomfortable, the serrations add to keeping a secure grip. not sure if it would remain comfortable with sustained use, but i doubt a combat with it would last long, win or lose.

there are parallel scratches transverse and longitudinal that appear to be from sanding with, er...sand. it has an lightly varnished but matt surface. could be an oil finish.

the holes are all the same, about 1/8 in. & look like they are from a modern twist drill. one hole had a small seed husk in it, but no seed. overall, some slight dings from handling.

the coconut fibre hanging loop is braided & looks old. it has a much thinner tan cotton loop added that appears to have once been attached to a, sadly now missing, label tag that may have had more info.
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 27th December 2014 at 03:12 PM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2014, 07:06 PM   #14
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

VERY WELL DONE. THANKS
Old 20th January 2015, 04:34 PM   #15
kronckew

Found another photo of one on the interweb. it had fibres at the top thru the two holes then wrapped into one short brush/wisk.
Attached Images

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2015, 05:07 AM   #16
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

A FEW MORE COOK ISLAND EXAMPLES. MOST PICTURES ARE FROM THE OLDMAN CATALOGS. HE SEEMS TO HAVE BEEN THE TOP COLLECTOR OF ITEMS FROM THE COOK ISLANDS.
#1. A RARE COOK ISLAND PADDLE, SPEAR, CLUB NOTE THE SPIKE AT THE TIP.(402)
#2. ANOTHER FORM OF CLUB WITH A QUADRANGULAR POINT MAY BE TONGAN OR COOK ISLANDS. (506)
#3.A PICTURE SHOWING VARIOUS COOK ISLAND CLUB BUTTS AND THE VARIATIONS OF THE EYE CARVINGS BELOW THE BLADE.
#4. COOK ISLAND POLE SPEARS ONE WITH A SEA TURTLE DESIGN REPEATED IN THE CENTER OF THE BLADE. 133.5 INCHES LONG
#5., #6. #7. & #8. COOK ISLAND CLUBS
#9. RARATONGA WARRIOR COOK ISLANDS
#10. COOK ISLAND ITEMS,CLUBS AND CEREMONIAL PADDLES, CLUB #1 IN THE GROUP
#11. ATUI ISLAND CLUB, COOK ISLANDS
#12. COOK ISLANDS, MANGELA IS. NATIVE 1796
Attached Images

Last edited by VANDOO; 2nd May 2015 at 09:11 PM.
Old 4th May 2015, 07:53 PM   #17
VANDOO
(deceased)

#1. A GRAPH ABOUT COOK ISLAND ARTEFACTS
Attached Images

Old 29th December 2015, 03:46 PM   #18
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

TWO MORE PICTURES OF COOK ISLAND CLUBS
Attached Images

Old 1st June 2016, 06:23 PM   #19
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

I WAS RECENTLY IN RARATONGA AND HAD THE PLEASURE OF MEETING PEOPLE AND SEEING SOME RECENT WORK BEING DONE AS WELL AS SEEING ITEMS IN THE MUSEUMS. MOST CARVINGS ARE FOR TOURISTS AND NOT VERY WELL CARVED BUT GOOD QUALITY ITEMS ARE BEING MADE ALSO. IT IS POSSIBLE TO HAVE CUSTOM ORDERS MADE AS THERE ARE SKILLED CARVERS FULLY CAPABLE OF MAKING GOOD REPLICAS. I HAVE PICTURES OF WHAT IS CURRENTLY FOR SALE FROM THE SHOP WITH THE BEST CARVINGS THAT I SAW IN RARATONGA. SOME PICTURES OF ITEMS AT THE QUEENS MUSEUM AND AT THE RARATONGA MUSEUM.
PICTURES #1. THRU #8 ARE OF THE SHOP NEAR THE POLICE STATION ONE SHOWS THE DOOR AND A LARGE TIKI, TWO PICTURES ARE OF A VERY LARGE CEREMONIAL CLUB OR PADDLE MADE FOR DISPLAY. THE OTHERS SHOW OTHER ITEMS CURRENTLY AVAILABLE THAT ARE MADE IN THE COOK ISLANDS.
#9., #10. & #11. CLUBS IN MUSEUM RARATONGA MOST LIKELY REPLICAS BUT PERHAPS OLD.?
#12. REPLICA WEAPONS PRESENTED TO THE QUEEN AT THE QUEENS MUSEUM.
Attached Images

Last edited by VANDOO; 1st June 2016 at 06:37 PM.
Old 1st June 2016, 06:56 PM   #20
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

A FEW MORE. #1. QUEENS MUSEUM HER REGALIA AND A CEREMONIAL STAFF.
#2. THRU #6. EXAMPLES OF COOK IS. CLUBS ON EXHIBIT IN THE AUCKLAND MUSEUM. #6 ARE COOK ISLAND CEREMONIAL ADZ SOMETIMES REFERRED TO AS TOWER ADZ.
#7. DETAIL OF A CLUB HEAD.
#8. COOK ISLAND CLUBS AND MAORI ITEMS OLDMAN CATALOG PICTURE.
Attached Images