Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 30th June 2022, 06:16 PM   #1
tom22

Default Two Keris Swords for id please

Hi All
Here is a couple of kris swords/daggers that i aquired recently ,I cant say i know alot about them , i believe they are bugis keris and look like they have some age , any more info will be much appreciated
Thanks
Attached Images

tom22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2022, 10:48 PM   #2
Gustav

Yes, both are Bugis style because of the hexagonal cross section of the blade, but origin of both most probably is Southern coast of Sumatra. The darker hilt would be associated with Riau province, the light brown one could be from more Southern part of Sumatra, possibly Jambi.

Both blades are pre-1900, could be even pre-1880, the smaller one has a nice Pamor, similar to Javanese Pamor Rante. Unfortunately the tip of Sekar Kacang (or Belalai Gajah) on it is broken. That`s a pity, because Lambe Gajah and Pamor looks fine, it probably was a slightly better quality blade. Also the hilt cup is a finer one.
Gustav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2022, 03:55 PM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav View Post
That`s a pity, because Lambe Gajah and Pamor looks fine, it probably was a slightly better quality blade.
Gustav, does to appear to you as if the surface of these blades have been polished down somewhat? I would expect to see a more topographical surface on old Bugis blades like these.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2022, 07:58 PM   #4
Gustav

Yes David, there is a possibility for that.
I also thought about it.
The question is, if the time alone is responsible for the smoothened surface, or there has been a slight cleaning with polishing.

It would be interesting to know, if the blades were stained with Warangan. Old Warangan would still "bleed" out of the blade while soaking in pineaple juice. From my experience we more likely could expect Warangan on a blade, which wasn't excessively topographically etched.

I own a similar smaller blade with hexagonal cross section, which is smooth and has an old Warangan finish.
Old 7th July 2022, 11:07 PM   #5
Gavin Nugent

Quote:

I own a similar smaller blade with hexagonal cross section, which is smooth and has an old Warangan finish.
I too have old Bugis Sulawesi and Bugis Sumatra blades with smooth surfaces and old Warangan.

The lighter coloured hulu is Jambi to my eye. From the photo, it seems the blade, hulu and pendokok have been apart at some stage.

The broken trunk, it was bought to my attention a while back, there are craftsmen repairing/replacing these areas with silver. Given silver can be blackened like the blades, it does seem an interesting proposition.

Gavin
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2022, 01:53 PM   #6
SidJ

Pls can someone explain what Jambi is? Is it a type of wood or ivory? Thanks
SidJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2022, 01:58 PM   #7
Gustav

Quote:

The darker hilt would be associated with Riau province, the light brown one could be from more Southern part of Sumatra, possibly Jambi.
That should help.
Old 21st July 2022, 05:35 PM   #8
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidJ View Post
Pls can someone explain what Jambi is? Is it a type of wood or ivory? Thanks
Jambi is a province in Sumatra.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2022, 11:50 PM   #9
SidJ