Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 14th June 2022, 10:35 PM   #1
Radboud

Default Spanish / Italian Smallsword

I have added another sword to my collection that I am puzzling over. I believe the sword to be of Spanish or Italian origin, probably late 18th or early 19th Century and I've seen similar described as duelling swords.

In Spain and Southern Italy, the use of the rapier continued longer than in Northern Europe and those areas more influenced by the French, where the smallsword gained in popularity.

This sword is an interesting mix of both styles. The pierced blade is 880mm long, while the overall length is 1060mm. The point of balance is about 60mm from the cup and it has a good weight to it and has the typically Spanish hexagonal crosssection. At the end of the short fuller, there is the Toledo-style anchor mark. The grip is a single piece of bronze or gunmetal decorated to look like wire binding and there is plenty of room to comfortably hook the index finger over the crossbar.

The last photo is not from my collection but shows other swords of a similar style. Does anyone have anymore information on this type?
Attached Images

Radboud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2022, 08:26 AM   #2
midelburgo

I think you are right on all your points. I do not consider the anchor a Toledo mark, but a tradition, carried on in many swordmaking centers.

Your sword has strong influences of the barquilla style which are usually made in iron and often larger. Infantry officer. Probably second half of XVIII century, but before 1790, when a new sunctuary law limited decoration.

I have no idea about the blade. It does not look a cut down rapier blade. Probably not Solingen. Not Toledo. Maybe Italian.
midelburgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2022, 10:09 AM   #3
Radboud

Thank you for the information Midelburgo, so you suspect it was a Spanish infantry officers sword, and not belonging to a civilian?
Old 15th June 2022, 06:56 PM   #4
midelburgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radboud View Post
Thank you for the information Midelburgo, so you suspect it was a Spanish infantry officers sword, and not belonging to a civilian?
Yes I think it is military. Civilian weapons would be more French epee de ville like.

There is a stablished model for the Royal Guards quite alike, but with the Royal coat of arms.
midelburgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2022, 08:36 AM   #5
Radboud

Found another sword with a very similar hilt but a colichemarde blade. Described as probably Italian, 18th Century.
Attached Images