Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > History of Steel Working Group
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16th November 2005, 10:53 PM   #1
Federico

Default Goals for weapons types

Well I figured Id start a new post, so we can try and coordinate our contributions. I know for a good portion of us, our collections are slanted one way or the other, eg. mostly Moro swords or mostly Visayan swords, and it may difficult to get a true representation of all the diversity that is the sandata. With that in mind, the actual items exhibited will be key in determining what aspects of the Philippines should be addressed in the article that will accompany the exhibits. Realistically I dont want to write on and on about a group or sword that will not be displayed.

Given the diversity and the limits of our collections, I propose a simple regionalization of weaponry via the 3 major land areas of PI, Northern, Central, and Southern. From there we can try to develop sub-sets as best we can (eg. lumad vs moro, christian vs non christian, western visayas vs eastern visayas, etc...) as we determine the actual pieces to be contributed. However, I would like to (for the purposes of the article) stay as general as possible, dividing only as pieces are available (eg. if all the central region pieces are from Panay, then no need to divide Visayas further).

Anyways, given the difficulty of and time constraints of photographing and cataloguing our pieces, I propose that as quickly as possible we at least set up a interim list of who is contributing what, so that we can proceed to fill in the gaps and not have too much overlap (eg. 20 krises and only 1 tenegre).

As for my own contributions so far on the list I have noticed Luzon and western Visayas is a little scanty. I can contribute in this regards a Bontoc head axe, a binakoko bolo (luzon), a katipunan era d-guard bolo, two tenegres (western visaya), another garab (though do we really need more than one), a generic crescent bladed Tagalog bolo, and a miscellaneous dragon headed Panay tenegre. I have the feeling the Moro pieces will be well covered, and can contribute as gaps appear. If need be, I do have other more contemporary bolo, but it would be nice to stay at with older pieces (WWII or older though if we could do all Span am war and older that would be neat).

As for support pieces, who can contribute what? There was mention of armor, but is this confirmed? Most of my period pics are either already digital or in books, I can attempt to scan some of the pics from the books, but understandably they are very much in favor of Moro pics. Are we considering shields? Textiles? Etc...