Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th January 2014, 01:02 AM   #1
Ferguson

Default Do I have a Garab?

I bought this "PHILIPPINE JUNGLE MACHETE WW11" on Ebay for a pittance. It's 24" long, and tapers from .388" (3/8", or 9.86mm) at the hilt. The hilt is nicely carved kamagong? Where the hilt is normally wrapped with rattan, it has an old leather covering held on with a brass strap. The blade is beveled on the right side and flat on the other. The beveled side shows nice laminations. The flat side of the blade etches almost completely dark. I was completely stunned to find the laminated blade.

Below are some poor pictures taken inside tonight.
Thanks for looking. Comments welcome!
Steve
Attached Images

Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2014, 01:14 AM   #2
Ferguson

Auction pictures.
Attached Images

Old 20th January 2014, 01:40 AM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

YEP! A VERY NICE GARAB/ TALIBON IT IS UNUSUAL TO SEE THE ETCHED BLADE SHOWING THE FORGEING ON THESE. BUT I WOULD NOT BE SURPRIZED IF QUITE A FEW HAVE THE WATERED STEEL BLADES THAT ARE NOT SHOWING. A GOOD SIZED ONE WITH VERY NICE CARVING AND PATINA ON THE HANDLE. CONGRADULATIONS.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2014, 01:43 AM   #4
Robert
EAAF Staff

Yes, that is a very nice garab you have there Steve and now I know who it was that outbid me on it. I thought my initial bid on it was much higher, so from now on I need to pay more attention to the emails sent by my bidding service when they come. Wonderful carving on the hilt and a good laminate blade to boot. The leather wrap is quit different though and I thought (when looking at the original auction photos) that it might have been a metal wrap of some kind. Anyway, my sincere congratulations to you on this very nice addition to your collection.

Best,
Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2014, 03:37 AM   #5
David
Keris forum moderator

Cool

Wow Steve, that's a very fine catch!
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2014, 08:35 AM   #6
Sajen

Congratulations Steve! That's the second one in short time with laminated blade! Nice that the beautiful carved handle isn't broken.

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2014, 12:32 PM   #7
CharlesS

Great example Steve, and one of the finest blades on one I have seen. Congrats!
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2014, 02:42 PM   #8
Battara
EAAF Staff

Steve I agree with what everyone said. congratulations on a great piece!

On the one hand it would have been great to have the scabbard.

On the other hand I have seen on very rare occasion garab/talibon that have metal (brass or silver) on the hilts. The carving is superb and it has brass on the hilt, a truly rare variant (never mind the laminated blade).
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2014, 04:17 PM   #9
Ferguson

Thank all of you gentlemen for your comments. I feel extremely lucky to have picked up this piece. Looking at the recent pictures of your wonderful Garab, made me more attuned to the Visayan pieces. I now have Tenegre, Binangon, bolo from Iloilo, and now the Garab. Maybe a Visayan family portrait soon!

Battara, I have a feeling that the brass strip and leather covering was a repair by someone to replace the missing rattan covering. But it doesn't look recent.

Thanks again,

Steve
Old 21st January 2014, 04:01 AM   #10
kino

What a handsome sword. Good job on the clean up. Congrats on a good catch.
kino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 09:04 AM   #11
kai

Hello Steve,

Could you also show the reverse side of the blade, please?

Quote:
Where the hilt is normally wrapped with rattan, it has an old leather covering held on with a brass strap.
The leather does look aged but doesn't seem to show the expected wear from actual usage. I'd hazard the guess that this was a repair attempt, possibly by someone out of the originating culture. Neat piece regardless - congrats!

Quote:
The blade is beveled on the right side and flat on the other. The beveled side shows nice laminations. The flat side of the blade etches almost completely dark.
This is the usual construction with the thin steel plate forged to the opposite side of the blade later receiving the bevel: buttered slice of bread rather than a sandwich.

Quote:
I was completely stunned to find the laminated blade.
I believe that many, if not most, antique Visayan blades will prove to be laminated if more people would care to check!

Not all will show such a bold contrast though (e. g. I have a laminated blade that is a pig to etch resulting in only faint laminations on the beveled side; need to try again).

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 09:10 AM   #12
kai

Hello Jose,

Quote:
On the other hand I have seen on very rare occasion garab/talibon that have metal (brass or silver) on the hilts.
Any chance that you could post pics, please?

Quote:
The carving is superb
Agreed that the pommel is very nicely carved; and intact ones are not common anymore (if they ever were)!

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2014, 12:21 AM   #13
Battara
EAAF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Hello Jose,

Any chance that you could post pics, please?
Sorry I would love to, but this was years ago when I didn't think to have film in a camera. It was at a gun and knife show. 2 garab of wood and each had brass embellishments on them, each a different in style on each, but there along with the wood carvings. Again very rare.

I suppose looking back it is possible that there may have been some brass to cover repair work.......
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2014, 09:27 AM   #14
Ferguson

Kai,

The second picture is the reverse of the blade. It shows all high carbon steel to within about 1/2" of the spine. The spine shows laminations.

I agree about the leather repair. It does not look like an indigenous repair. I thought about a simple rattan wrap, but decided to leave it in the state that I found it.

Thanks,
Steve