Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Closed Thread

Old 8th February 2013, 07:52 PM   #1
kahnjar1

Angry OMANI SWORDS---COMPLETE OVERKILL IMHO

We now have 5 seperate threads going, about what is essentially the same subject. For the benefit if Members and "Lurkers" surely this is doing nothing but creating confusion, and fragmenting of what up 'til recently has been useful information.
If it is the intention to confuse, then go ahead, but to me this is destroying the purpose of the Forum, which is to discuss. It is very hard to do this when the subject of discussion is so fragmented.
What think you Gentlemen?
Old 8th February 2013, 08:30 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

I cannot see whats so interesting about them in the first place?
Old 8th February 2013, 08:38 PM   #3
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons
I cannot see whats so interesting about them in the first place?
Each to their own Tim...
Old 8th February 2013, 08:46 PM   #4
Tim Simmons

Indeed
Old 8th February 2013, 09:46 PM   #5
kai

Whenever there are several distinct sword types from a single region, I can see no fault to have a dedicated thread for each; seems to make more sense than lumping a lot of distinct pieces into a single thread IMHO. A concise overview thread to the swords of a given culture may aid newcomers to get a better understanding of the differences but dedicated threads are probably best to compare many examples of a given sword type. Just my 2 cents...

Regards,
Kai
Old 8th February 2013, 10:11 PM   #6
David
Keris forum moderator

I'm a little confused by your request Stu. These thread seem to be discussing completely different swords. Further they seem to be different types of swords from the same area (battle, dance, curved, straight, etc.) Are you suggesting that we have but one thread going per sword type or origin at a time?
Old 9th February 2013, 12:32 AM   #7
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I'm a little confused by your request Stu. These thread seem to be discussing completely different swords. Further they seem to be different types of swords from the same area (battle, dance, curved, straight, etc.) Are you suggesting that we have but one thread going per sword type or origin at a time?
Hi David,
No absolutely not. ALL of these swords appear in the first (I think) thread on the subject, which was Kattara for Comment. Discussion was then broadend to other threads which discussed much the same thing. If each sword had remained in a thread of its own then I do not see a problem, as comparison between types could still be made with reference to the other relevent threads. If you look at Swedegreen's thread about the long hilted Yemeni?? swords, and the specific questions asked there, you will see that this has expanded to include discussion, once again, of the Omani Battle sword. I certainly accept that there could be a connection here, but the subject of the thread was the long hilted swords.
Now we have two more threads introduced, discussing the same (or similar) items.
All I was saying was that to follow the discussion on ONE type has become very confusing (at least for me) as one has to jump from thread to thread to get the whole story.
Not a complaint....just an observation.
Stu
Closed Thread