Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 9th August 2013, 11:44 PM   #1
PClemente

Default Wheellock Spanner

Hi All,
I acquired this wheellock spanner online and was wondering about the approximate dating of the piece. I have a wheellock pistol dating to the Thirty Years War with which the spanner pairs up nicely. The spanner itself is not particularly ornate, but it was a very reasonable price and certainly did not break the bank. I like the fact that both the pistol and spanner have a plain, martial appearance. The spanner is about 6" long and square opening of the spanning head approximately .25" wide.
Thanks for any input!
Attached Images

PClemente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2013, 04:29 PM   #2
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

Hi there,

Not only is this a wheellock spanner but a combination tool, in that its flattened lower end acted as a screwdriver! The ring was for a attaching a suspension cord.
Moreover, the round hole was meant to measure and identify the caliber of the lead balls used (caliber gauge, German: Kugellehre); its small diameter denotes that the spanner once accompanied a pistol or carbine.

Tools of this kind can be dated to the Thirty Years War era (1618-48).

Best,
Michael

Last edited by Matchlock; 6th October 2013 at 10:27 AM.
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2013, 11:45 PM   #3
PClemente

Thank you Michael!
It is great to hear from you and I am happy that your health has improved!
I am a relatively new member of our forum and I have to say that it is because of the informed and knowledgeable postings of enthusiasts such as yourself that I became uninterested in this forum. It is a truly great resource fueled by collectors such as yourself. A very heartfelt best wishes to you and your family!
Old 6th October 2013, 11:59 PM   #4
PClemente

Here is another wheellock spanner I came across. Of different form than the other piece, it features a hinged spike I believe was used as a touch-hole pick, screwdriver and wheellock key. While the first example is in excavated condition this piece has only a few areas of rust. It measures 9" in length.
Attached Images

Old 7th October 2013, 08:35 AM   #5
Matchlock
(deceased)

Hi PClemente,

Now this ia finely elaborated spanner meant for two different sizes of pinion square section, which in all probability were wheel axe and the top jaw screw of the wheellock dog, for fastening the pyrites.

This I would date to the 1580's, possibly of North Italian origin. I cannot clearly see it in the photos but the tip might be carved with an acorn and should also have a flattened section acting as a turnscrew.

I am not sure about the function of the large ring which seems to be equipped with some kind of needle - possibly a sundial? Please check this and post more images!

Attached find a similar spanner, the ring section filled with fine tracery in the manner the 'Venetian' keys were made; this feature, too, accounts for my assigned date of ca. 1550-80.

Best wishes in return,
Michael
Attached Images

Last edited by Matchlock; 7th October 2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old 7th October 2013, 11:47 AM   #6
PClemente

Hi Michael,
I included some additional pictures of the spanner.
As always thank you for your input!
Regards,
Paul
Attached Images

Old 7th October 2013, 03:51 PM   #7
Matchlock
(deceased)

Ahhh, PClemente,

Now I see:

It's a broach, a prick for cleaning the touchhole (German Räumnadel)!!!

I've never seen that feature combined with a spanner.
You are one luck guy then.

Best,
Michael
Old 7th October 2013, 09:40 PM   #8
PClemente

Thanks Michael,
I acquired the spanner a little while ago - I guess there are still some finds to be made!
I must also thank you in regards to one of your earlier posts regarding the dating of Thirty Years War Period Wheellock pistols. I have long been intrigued by the Thirty Years War and often found it difficult to differentiate the pistols made during the height of the war(1630 - 1640) from those made in the latter part of the conflict. Your explanation and use of photos was very helpful, as was the recommendation regarding the site of Peter Engerisser. I contacted Peter regarding pistols of the war and he was kind enough to supply me with a detailed explanation to help date the guns. There is a lack of such sources here in the States where most arms collectors are ignorant of the weaponry that pre-dated the American Revolution by more than 100 years!
Regards,
Paul
Old 8th October 2013, 10:19 AM   #9
Matchlock
(deceased)

Hi Paul,

Don't worry: even in Germany there are less than ten people who are able to correctly date these pistols and carbines!

Best,
Michael
Old 9th October 2013, 09:43 PM   #10
PClemente

Hi Michael,
I know that it might be outside your expertise, but I have been trying to find out information about a particular leather gorget in my possession. I have received a couple of very informed and helpful ideas from a variety of sources including some from our fellow forum members, but due to your vast array of experience I thought you might also have some idea as to its specific nature. I have been told it might very well be a gorget pattern adapted during the various colonial wars here in America in the mid-1700's as officers serving the English tried to be less conspicuous fighting in the forests of North America, or a piece belonging to a Native American "gorget captain" allied with the British.
Thanks for any ideas!
As Always,
Regards,
Paul
Attached Images

Old 24th May 2014, 04:20 PM   #11
Matchlock
(deceased)

Hi,

Please also see my threads on wheellock spanners 1520-1620:
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...-lock+spanners

and
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...l-lock+spanner

Best,
Michael

Last edited by Matchlock; 24th May 2014 at 05:26 PM.