Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st September 2008, 01:04 PM   #1
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default LET'S TALK ABOUT SWORDS ... LOOK HERE

Isn't this a nice charming piece ? ... sorry for the lack of modesty
An XVIII century Spanish colonial cavalry officer sword ( for Mexico?).
Blade 76 cms ( once shortened?); most probably of German origin.
The guard details would resemble the 1728 pattern for the Dragoons.
Although not much usual, the BBS marks on one side of the blade could be regimental. The marks on the other side appear impossible to decipher or even discern.
Well, a couple uncertainties on its ID and details, but that's as far as you can get with these things .
... However allways expecting someone to come by and dissolve some of the uncertainties ... which we adore and thank a lot.
For example, i don't think i ever had Marc's impression on it .
Are you there Marc ? .
Fernando
Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2008, 07:45 AM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I distinctly remember this beauty Fernando! It seems that the general consensus was that it was indeed Spanish Colonial and likely for an officer of cavalry or dragoons in the 18th century. I believe another reference was made to the scalloped guard being associated with Spanish colonial swords. The blade is of course German, as was typically the case in that period and into the 19th c.
What is puzzling, as you note, is the curious BB marking on the blade. I am hoping that perhaps some of the members also keen on the swords of Mexico and Spain might associate those initials with something such as regimental or symbolic.

I'm glad you reposted this one here Fernando, and I'm hoping that we might have some luck in getting a bit further on identification.
As always.....more research !!!

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2008, 11:07 AM   #3
Marc

A quick chime in, damn busy those days...

Hi, Fernando. Funny, I discussed this piece with SOMEBODY in February 2008. I would have bet money it was you, but my mind is starting to play tricks on me...
Anyway, it's indeed Spanish colonial, I've never have seen them attributed specifically to Mexico, nor seen any with a mark that could make me think they could be, but, of course, I'm limited to my own experience
Those are XVIII c. and for use by cavalry and/or dragoons. The guard is a variation of the Spanish 1728 pattern for cavalry. No idea about the marks, though, I'm afraid.
A beautiful exemplar, though, if I may say so
Best,

Marc
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2008, 01:03 PM   #4
fernando

Hi Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
... Funny, I discussed this piece with SOMEBODY in February 2008. I would have bet money it was you ...
My deepest apologies .
I had checked my files on the material i had on this piece, but i have failed to see who wrote the postings on the previous thread i have opened in the ethnographic Forum.
So sorry you had to repeat yourself .

Quote:
Anyway, it's indeed Spanish colonial, I've never have seen them attributed specifically to Mexico
I take note; however this was sugested as being a possibility, not a certainty ... for what it is worth.

Thanks for the 'new release'.
Fernando
Old 23rd September 2008, 11:33 AM   #5
Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Hi Marc

My deepest apologies .
I had checked my files on the material i had on this piece, but i have failed to see who wrote the postings on the previous thread i have opened in the ethnographic Forum.
So sorry you had to repeat yourself .
Oh, yes, sure, I'll never, EVER, forgive you for making me to look again to this fantastically well-preserved exemplar of Spanish colonial cavalry sword! The annoyance! The pain! The horror!
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2008, 06:56 PM   #6
fernando

Quote:
Oh, yes, sure, I'll never, EVER, forgive you for making me to look again to this fantastically well-preserved exemplar of Spanish colonial cavalry sword! The annoyance! The pain! The horror!
Old 23rd September 2008, 08:16 PM   #7
Atlantia

Thats a a beauty Fernando.

I love the way the simple steel guard bars have been adorned with brass/bronze 'beads'.
I love 'working' swords. I bet that when it was new, the contrast between the gold and silver of the guard with the rich brown of the wood would have looked very fine indeed
As of course it still does now. A fine fighting sword indeed!

Regards
Gene
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2008, 11:32 PM   #8
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantia
Thats a a beauty Fernando.

I love the way the simple steel guard bars have been adorned with brass/bronze 'beads'.
I love 'working' swords. I bet that when it was new, the contrast between the gold and silver of the guard with the rich brown of the wood would have looked very fine indeed
As of course it still does now. A fine fighting sword indeed!

Regards
Gene
Thank you for the very nice words, old chum
Like music for my ears .

Fernando