Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th October 2006, 06:42 AM   #1
Barrett Hiebert

Default New here, borin in Bucharest, Wallachia, Romania. Wishing to learn about my heritage!

Greetings,

My name is Barrett Michael Hiebert. I was born in Bucharest, Wallachia, Romania, and I've had a hungering to learn of my ancient heritage, personally, medieval times more than anything. I was born on October 1989, and was adopted at 16 months. I decided to join yet this forum, for I saw posts of a romanian born Transilvannian. I was most excited, and I hope to learn as much from him as I can. I am mostly interested in Turkish, Russian armour and weaponry, preferably straight, and double-edged, or anything with a slight curve, double, or single-bladed. I understand that Transilvannia has more hungarian ethnic romanians and that they were more interested in german armour and weapons! I would like to learn all I can. Thankyou very much, and have a good day! Cheers!

Barrett Michael Hiebert
Barrett Hiebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2006, 06:05 AM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Welcome Barrett.

Radu is our resident Transylvanian and you can contact him via the Personal Message feature. Otherwise I am sure he will be along in the next day or so to say hello.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2006, 06:29 AM   #3
TVV

Welcome Barrett,

I am sure you will be hearing from Radu soon. In the meantime, you may find this thread by him interesting:

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=313

Also, use the search option of this forum for anything that you may have an interest in - you will be surprised by how much you will actually find.

Regards,

Teodor
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2006, 06:29 AM   #4
Barrett Hiebert

Greetings,

Thankyou very much for the welcome, and fixing things up. I PM'ed both Radu and Monolo. Thankyou very much again, and what an interesting place! I hope to bring a relatively new perspective of ideas and passion here to give to the greater scope, breadth of respectful knowledge that can be learnt. Hope you have a good night, and cya around!

Barrett Michael Hiebert
Old 27th October 2006, 06:33 AM   #5
Barrett Hiebert

Greetings,

Whoah! Awesome timing, haha, thanks for the information and link. I shall definately be checking them out! Thankyou Teodor! Have a good night, cheers!

Barrett Michael Hiebert
Old 27th October 2006, 07:27 AM   #6
wolviex

Hello and welcome!
Thank you for bringing up another thread with vote on age I created some time ago. Your age isn't quite surprise and we can be only happy that you have desire to meet up the past and bring it to live again.

Radu is long no see with posts here on forum and we supposed he was kidnaped by UFO or something thought there are some signs of his activity (he's watching us).

Enjoy the forum because it is great place to learn and meet fantastic people.

Regards
Michal
wolviex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2006, 07:32 AM   #7
Barrett Hiebert

Greetings,

Thankyou very much for the warm welcome. I hope to learn as much as I can from here. I definately do agree that this is a fantastic place to meet new people and learn more of our historic past. Also, no problem for telling you my age, I was thinking should I post some more, then surprise, or whatnot!? The forum community has been excellent to me so far even at the beginning. You guy's all rock! Thankyou again, and have a good night! Cheers!

Barrett Michael Hiebert
Old 27th October 2006, 08:56 PM   #8
Barrett Hiebert

Greetings,

Well, saying that I know nothing about Romania's culture is true, but I have been researching up on Wallachia's history and of the Dacians's. I have gotten in contact with SCA-Romania, and I do have an account on SFI. Directly related to the armour and arms worn in medieval Romania, you should all be directed to this thread:

http://forum.drachenwald.sca.org/vie...er=asc&start=0

If you want to get right down to the information, you'll have to go to page 3 or 4 of the thread. A lot of my questions are still waiting to be answered, so I can't wait.

Also, on SFI, I have been learning about Russian and Turkish armour, and Turkish Straight Swords. I could direct you toward these threads also, but in the meantime, I will not, only if someone is in need of more, or would like to learn more. I have been graciously supplied by most of this information on the topic or Turkish and Russian armour by Aqtai on SFI, who is a most valiant soul.

Well, just a little bit of the homework that I've been doing.

To everyone, I hope you all have a good day!

Cheers!

Barrett Michael Hiebert
Old 27th October 2006, 09:22 PM   #9
ariel

Welcome !
Hope you have questions that the rest of us can not answer: that's where the real fun is!
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2006, 09:27 PM   #10
Barrett Hiebert

Greetings,

Hopefully, and if you can answer my questions in return, whoah, a double bonus! Cheers!

Barrett Michael Hiebert
Old 31st October 2006, 09:14 PM   #11
Radu Transylvanicus

I am here know, thank you for such undeserved praise.
So what is it that you seek young man? To know your heritage is to learn the history basics, then learn choose and pick some favorite heros, then learn about the regions, the costumes and the customs, the architecture and the language. The most amazing thing about this country is how it stood up, while having at least three "enemies" at all times and then of course, there its medieval history (evil laughter...) If you just need the reasurence that you were flesh from a place of heroes, the anwers is yes, we did kick a lot of @$$ and case to be will continue to do so. But no worry, were far from perfect or the only ones, even though we did such good job at it and were not only survivors.
You need to be concide and if I know the answer you shall have it.
Radu Transylvanicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2006, 09:33 PM   #12
Barrett Hiebert

Greetings,

Well, to arms and armour used in the Late Medieval Wallachia, I have been gaining most of my reliable information from Stoic Romulus on the drachenwald forum-SCA Romania. Also, I have then been asking questions about armour, and weapons mainly on Sword Forum International.

Arms and Armour:

http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?t=71813

Double-edged Swordfighting manuals of the Middle East:

http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?t=73280

Turko-Mongol, Central Asian Arms:

http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?t=72695

And Romanian-English Online Translation, but no sucess on that one!:

http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?t=71670

And of course the Dacian's!:

http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?t=70173

Well, anything else is all up in their air, I don't know enough, or even know what to really ask.

Your input Radu, and Manolo, would be very helpful!

Look forward to talking to you! Cheers!

Barrett Michael Hiebert