Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th November 2015, 01:42 PM   #1
Sajen

Default Indonesian dagger, sewar??

Have get also this Indonesian dagger, the blade shape is very similar like a sewar blade but missing the blood groove all my sewar show and the blade is a little bit broader as my sewar blades and the scabbard is complete different but could be an old replacement. The blade I've cleaned a little bit from rust and show a nice pamor but again very different from the sewar blades I know which show a much finer lamination. The handle is of the hulu rumpung form (see Zonneveld, page 55). Would like to know if this is a dagger with a own "name" or if it is a unique piece. Sorry for the bad picture quality, the weather is not good enough to take better ones.
The is approx. 29 cm long inside the scabbard with a blade (without tang and handle) from 19,5 cm.
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2015, 01:21 AM   #2
kai

Thumbs up

Hello Detlef,

Quote:
Have get also this Indonesian dagger, the blade shape is very similar like a sewar blade but missing the blood groove all my sewar show and the blade is a little bit broader as my sewar blades and the scabbard is complete different but could be an old replacement. The blade I've cleaned a little bit from rust and show a nice pamor but again very different from the sewar blades I know which show a much finer lamination. The handle is of the hulu rumpung form (see Zonneveld, page 55).
I'd posit that this example does belong to the large sewar/siwaih family.

The scabbard does look like a more recent (post-WW2?) replacement to me. What would be your age estimate upon personal inspection?

I've seen quite a few blades without the usually pretty feeble fuller.

I also wouldn't place much emphasis on the blade shape (much variability again).

There are some examples with rather bold, contrasting pamor - nice acquisition!

I'd believe the hilt to be of the hulu lungkee rusa type - these are not unheard of as hilts for daggers but certainly rare!

Good catch! I'd be inclined to believe this comes from northern Sumatra (Aceh/Alas/Gayo).

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2015, 07:33 PM   #3
Sajen

Hello Kai,

thank you very much for your comment. I agree that this dagger belong definitely to the sewar family and I have seen as well some sewar without this feeble fullers most examples show. Great suggestion that the hilt is of the hulu lungkee rusa type which point out as well the northern Sumatra origin.
The scabbard show a great glossy patination which let me think that it could be from WWII area or slightly earlier.
Thank you again for this good comment!

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote