not a problem...
i've sent you a pm.
themorningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2006, 09:40 PM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default Nice barung too ...

Dan:

You are definitely developing a good eye for Moro weaponry. Is that a swollen edge on the barung?

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2006, 02:44 AM   #3
MABAGANI

Don't be too hard on our jungle folk, they just commemorated the centennial of Bud Dajo...forgotten US history?
MABAGANI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2006, 05:42 AM   #4
Spunjer

nice to hear from you again, dan. i'm envious in that you've already been in places i only dream of visiting one day...

i believe the barung does have a swollen edge.
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2006, 05:53 AM   #5
Spunjer

another thing is the wonderful MOP work on the tagub...
Old 12th May 2006, 06:20 AM   #6
D Wilke

Default Better Pics

Better pics as requested.

Spunjer, glad to hear from you again and yes is it a swollen edge (that's why I pid so much for it).

Mabagani, always good to hear from you, but the Bud Dajo reference -OUCH! The Battle of the Clouds is not forgotten by those working here, but the younger generation here has no clue. The only rallies they had here were organized and attended by outsiders, the locals showed little interest. We did commemorate it here, as soldiers we appreciate and honor others of our kind that fight valiantly for that which they believe in. While many have tried to use it to drive a wedge we have tried to honor it and those that gave their lives while still focusing on the future and the development we're trying to create, instead of living in the past. The Tausug here are people of extremes they either love you or hate you, a completely misunderstood and misperceived people. We are working hard to insure that all from Manila to DC see the potential of this absolutely georgous, but still dangerous island and insure the resources they need to take their rightful place are not misdirected. And of course on a personal note I've tried to re-educate some on their weapons, their crafts and the market possibilities of their exquisite artwork. We have an initiative started and I've linked up some old craftsmen with their Barangay captains and the schools where we put internet in to try to get small internet busineses started. Just wish I could have made contact with that old blacksmith, but I will leave behind 90+ projects for school renovation, water distribution, health clinics, livelihood programs, etc. for my successors to implement.

More on the Tausug later, absolutely fascinating culture, but now the pictures.
Attached Images

D Wilke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2006, 07:07 AM   #7
MABAGANI

Thanks Dan, good job, just sending out a feeler to see where you stood. pm me...I think the only place in the US that commemorated Bud Dajo was in the San Francisco's War Memorial building. There were lectures on the past and present. I showed old photos from the episode and a weapons display. I was invited to the Jolo event, but not in a position to travel yet, heard they trekked up the volcano. Both events ended with promoting peace as the ultimate goal. I tried helping to develop some old crafts recently too, but heard from my sources that internet service is not good, nor is postal. So maybe Sulu would be like the Indian gaming in California but with oil instead where the natives would benefit? who knows...Tausug are not the kind to sulk or seek revenge over spilled blood, fighting is fighting but when there is an injustice they remember and are outspoken about it.
You're barung and kris look like good WWII examples with recent restorations, a period when the US and Moros fought on the same side btw...can't help thinking about the history that went with the weapons, part of the study
MABAGANI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2006, 01:05 PM   #8
Spunjer

i counted 15 waves, dan. also, is the gangya separated?

it's a shame about the internet and postal service as you and mabagani mentioned. ebay could really help out a lot of people over there in regards to selling their wares and crafts.

dan, i know this does not relate to the swords, but how's about a blog? well, you can make it sword related, lol. the traditional cleaning process would be a pretty cool start. i know you have more important stuff to do, so that's if you only have the time...

btw, looking forward to see the other swords...