Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th February 2005, 07:06 PM   #1
Yannis

Default Cuacasian pride

I was lucky enough to find a very rare sword that I was looking for years. The problem was that I found 3 of them the same time!!!!

I paid a lot of money for them and the last 2 months I cannot choose what to hold and what to give away. I have not pretty decided yet, but because Rivkin in another topic mention a sword like this, I present you a Khevsur Palash also known as Georgian saber. (Tiri page 184-185).

Comments are welcome but mostly I want Jim's opinion who is responsible for my Caucasian quest!
Attached Images

Yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2005, 07:11 PM   #2
Yannis

Brass parts are very shiny because someone cleaned it too much! Fortunatly old patina exists in places that he couldnt clean!
Old 19th February 2005, 07:17 PM   #3
Jeff D

Hi Yannis,

If only I could convey my envy in writing!!! Well done.

Jeff
Jeff D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2005, 10:03 PM   #4
Conogre

Another that I didn't know existed and truly beautiful ...... congratulations on a truly excellent find.
Do you have any idea where this may have originated?
Also, is the hilt enamled silver?
Sorry for all of the questions, but I have a very ornate shasqa that has a decor on the hilt and scabbard boththat appears to me to be very similar the hilt on the wonderful sword that you pictured.
Mike
Conogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2005, 11:05 PM   #5
Rivkin

Is the blade double edged ? If it is, it's even more rare than usual palash. The double edged guys tend to mount extremely old blades (mostly western XVI-XVIII century), imho.

And afaik georgian sabre/palash usually has the hilt going at the angle to the blade, while only khevsurian or chechen can be both straight and angled position of the hilt.
Rivkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2005, 11:07 PM   #6
Rivkin

with an exception of coarse of a georgian shamshir and a georgian "ordynka"
Old 19th February 2005, 11:50 PM   #7
Yannis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conogre
Do you have any idea where this may have originated? Also, is the hilt enamled silver?
I think I know exactly the origin of it. Khevsureti, Georgia, close to Chechenya border, up to the mountains of Caucasus. The hilt is all silver with niello.

Rivkin,
No, the blade is not double edge. In this kind of swords there is no "standard" blade. It can be straight like this or with litle curved like shasqa. With fulers or without.

The guard is steel. It has a cross on that I think it is typical georgian and khevsur ornament. Actually it is matching with my avatar (a kevsur shield).

Last edited by Yannis; 20th February 2005 at 12:03 AM.
Old 20th February 2005, 12:52 AM   #8
Rivkin

o, this is khevsur, no questions about it.
Old 20th February 2005, 01:10 AM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Yannis,
This is most definitely a Khevsur straight sabre, from these tribal people high in Caucusus in Georgia. The hilt form, niello etc. is typically Khevsur and most often these blades are trade blades or Chechen. The swords are actually quite rare despite most being relatively recent from latter part of 19th century.
This is truly a beautiful example Yannis! and I agree, extremely well done!!
An excellent resource for data on these, aside from the book by Astvatsaturjian on Caucasian weapons and in Russian text, is Iaroslav Lebedynsky's "Les Armes Cosaques et Caucasiennes" published in French, where Khevsur warriors are seen wearing these as well as chain mail armor in latter 19th c. They are known to have been using these well into the 20th century.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2005, 02:03 AM   #10
tom hyle

Interestingly, as has happened to so many old blades, it appears someone has clamped this blade in an unpadded or inadequately padded vice at some time. I see a lot of scars like those at the base of the blade.
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2005, 02:17 AM   #11
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Tom,
Interesting observation, which actually seems almost distinctive on these Khevsur swords as others I have seen carry similar vise and sometimes file marks. It would seem working life maintainance on these was not carried out with the same consideration as found on swords in surrounding regions where more pronounced quality workmanship was expected of ateliers. It is important to realize that many of these swords were actually used in 'duelling', although often a staged tradition, rather than ceremonial wear in courts or parade.

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2005, 04:54 AM   #12
Conogre

When I saw the close up of your wonderful sword, Yannis, the pattern jumped right out at me, very similar in style to this one, to the point that it's possible it was made in the same region?
I have another sword and a small knife that's similar, with the "feel" of the intricate detailing making me think that they, too, came from this region.
Personally, I'm awestruck by the skill of artistry, by far the best of anything that I've been priveleged to own.
Mike
Attached Images

Old 20th February 2005, 05:56 AM   #13
ariel

Yannis,
Great one!
The only reason I am not dying of envy is because I have one with a locally made curved blade.
As to Conogre's shashka, I am not sure it is an old one: the decorations look like newly made Georgian weapons. Would be interesting to see the blade and, of course, markings if it has them.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2005, 09:08 AM   #14
Yannis

Jim
I was sure you would like it. Now I have companions for my shield (avatar) that you helped me identify few years ago. Since then I have read about khevsurs. This blade has few nicks from duelling. The Khevsurs used to duel with real swords for a lot of reasons (just for fun or as real fight between adults) usually Sundays in the middle of the village. But they could stop immediately if a woman wanted so!

Conogre
Interesting shashka but newly made. It is not cheap, but the hilt is wrong and the ornaments with “easy” style. If it was an old, with the technique of old masters, and all this ornamentation it could be priceless.

Ariel
I want to see your sword. Please!
Old 20th February 2005, 02:08 PM   #15
Battara
EAAF Staff

Although I am not into this sort of thing, I must say nice puppy (woof! ).
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2005, 11:13 PM   #16
Radu Transylvanicus

This Forum is a great resource (most times ) as I donnot recall the Khevsur sword info anywhere else but here, I am glad this is an en vogue subject as I am learning along, overcomming ignorance in the subject.
AMICI HUMANI GENERIS, thats what this bunch is !

And yes, Ariel, please swow us your sword ... oh not that one, you know what we mean, the Khevsur one !
Radu Transylvanicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2005, 01:46 AM   #17
Conogre

Very good attempt at being tactful, Yannis, but truly no need as I obtained all three at extremely reasonable prices, bordering on cheap and fully agree that all are newer pieces, that couldn't even begin to compare with the status of yours (I was actually suprised to find the blades razor sharp, fully expecting the dull edges of most contemporary types).
What I was referring to was the materials and style of workmanship, highly unlike anything I've ever come across.
I was told that the most likely source was somewhere in Uzbekistan and was just wondering if your familiarity with the region would enable you to make a more definite identification as to origin, as in my extremely limited exposure, I've never seen this type of hilt decor.
In today's world of mass production I find it refreshing to know that this type of artistry is still being produced and not lost to time as in so many other cultures.
On my budget, I am thrilled to own even bottom rung quality pieces, if such a term can be used for what I consider to be extreme beauty far beyond most of what's produced in the west on suposedly superior weapons.
Mike
Old 21st February 2005, 02:25 AM   #18
Rivkin

enamel is slightly resembling the buckharian types, but I would doubt the uzbek origion - may be modern Dagestan or Georgia.

But I'm not Jim/Ariel, I don't anything about shashkas, just pretend to .
Old 21st February 2005, 03:52 AM   #19
Conogre

Yeah, right (and thank you)
Until I joined the forum I'd never even heard of these countries or regions and have upgraded my education in geography, history, sociology, anthroplogy.................darn, almost a full edikashun now that I thunk about it! **grin**
Mike
Old 21st February 2005, 04:04 PM   #20
Rivkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
It is important to realize that many of these swords were actually used in 'duelling', although often a staged tradition, rather than ceremonial wear in courts or parade.
Ugh, these guys also had a much darker use.

In theory, even in war, with an exception of the ones induced by vengeance, killing rather than wounding an opponent was considered an excessive brutality. That's why chechens prohibiting thrusts in their kindjal duels, and while northern caucasians maintained their shashka dules, southern used palashes.

But there was a tradition that is a little bit strange: while taking cloth from a dead opponent was strictly prohibited by the codes of honor, taking body parts of someone who is already dead was encouraged, especially among khevsurs.
Usually right hand or head was chopped off, it was then boiled in salty water, dehydrated and either incorporated into one's personal architecture as a building material/nice ornament, or if you were into it you could actually carry it with you.

So khevsurian palashes served an important role even when guns became a primeral weapon - they were used to chop off the body parts needed.

Sorry if I'm introducing some well known truths,

Sincerely yours,

K.Rivkin