Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 16th November 2021, 11:54 PM   #1
nKante

Default takouba hilt help

A friend asked me to make a takouba style hilt for a modern broadsword blade that he has. I was wondering if anyone had any information or insight into traditional takouba handle construction. I see so many different variations that my head is swimming. Some look like the entire thing is cast as one piece. Some look like the cross guards are riveted. Does anyone have photos of a damaged takouba that might shed some light on the subject?
nKante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2021, 12:50 AM   #2
TVV

The article below should be helpful in understanding how the guards are constructed:
http://iainnorman.com/articles-2/23

The rivets hold the parts of the guard together, and sometimes also serve to attach decorative brass plates.

The grip is a hollow cylindrical tube, typically made of sheet metal. The pommels are also hollow, and the tang is peened to them, holding the whole thing together. In some instances the entire hilt was cast, but those examples tend to be associated with ethnic groups on the periphery of the area of takouba distribution. In some of the older examples the 3 separate hilt elements are forged from steel.
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote