My friends Keris
Attached Images

maxbliss888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2015, 09:41 PM   #94
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbliss888
My friends Keris
Great pieces, lucky owner! Can we see the blades?

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2015, 05:24 AM   #95
maxbliss888

Default Coteng

I think I must have seen 80% of the Coteng in Thailand from my interaction with the fellow Thai collectors. Many of the Thai collectors are not selling their Coteng and Keris as these antique ones are hard to find now.

Photos
Attached Images

Old 24th July 2015, 06:52 AM   #96
maxbliss888

Default Coteng

Another collector's Coteng
Attached Images

Old 24th July 2015, 08:34 AM   #97
Jean

Thanks Max. From my Indonesian kris collector's perspective, the beauty of these krisses is the hilt and the scabbard to a lesser degree but the blades are not very impressive .
Regards
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2015, 10:43 AM   #98
maxbliss888

Default Coteng

I think the beauty of the Coteng lies in its history and the legacy of the Patanni Sultanate, that is no longer around.

Given then fact that the 4 Northern Malay states are now part of Thailand after British decision in 1909, with the integration and assimilation into the Thai culture and religion, many of the old traditions are slowly fading away. In fact, the Coteng Keris has become so rare that one hardly see it in the market and only in the collectors hands. Keris has become a lost art in Southern Thailand.

For those who love the nice blade, my guess is that the Keris from Indonesia may be a better option. For me, since I am working and staying in Thailand, my love for the Coteng lies in the fact that it is Thailand specific keris plus not many of these survive given the harsh environment here. Moreover, those Keris that I see are with collectors or families who keep them as family heirloom and heritage.

Just my 2 cents..
Old 24th July 2015, 01:32 PM   #99
Jean

Yes Max, I fully understand your cultural point of view, mine was purely based on aesthetics and quality of craftsmanship, and it is just a personal opinion... Very interesting thread and reference anyway, many thanks!
Which are the 3 other Northern Malay states now part of Thailand?
Regards
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2015, 05:14 PM   #100
maxbliss888

Default thai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean
Yes Max, I fully understand your cultural point of view, mine was purely based on aesthetics and quality of craftsmanship, and it is just a personal opinion... Very interesting thread and reference anyway, many thanks!
Which are the 3 other Northern Malay states now part of Thailand?
Regards
Narathiwat, Pattani and Yala and parts of Songkhla. With the exception of Songkhla, many Thai classified the other 3 regions as dangerous owing to the occasional bombing.

I have just visited Songkhla and didn't see any Keris out in the open. One has to see via the collectors. I have spent months getting in contacts with many collectors and the photos above are almost the maximum I could see from the various friends and collectors. Owing to the assimilation into the Thai culture, not many of the tradition survive.

My guess is that the culture is still alive in some part of Indonesia and Malaysia. I went to Batam Indonesia and couldn't find any keris there too...
Old 27th July 2015, 06:07 AM   #101
Nathaniel

Thumbs up

Wow, maxbliss888, thank you for sharing these wonderful pictures and your experiences. This is a wonderful thread showing the diversity of Krit Malayeu often not seen outside of Thailand. What a treat! That is wonderful you have made these connections. Khorb Khun Krap
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2015, 06:16 AM   #102
Nathaniel

Just something of interest...I took a picture of this Thai military insignia a few years back...I think the type pictured looks like a Tajong style.
Attached Images

Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2015, 01:49 PM   #103
maxbliss888

Default Tajong Keris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaniel
Just something of interest...I took a picture of this Thai military insignia a few years back...I think the type pictured looks like a Tajong style.
Yes, it looks like the Tajong Keris. : )
Old 27th July 2015, 04:09 PM   #104
Green

i come from kota baru kelantan malaysia which is just 40 km from sungai kolok town in the southern thailand province of narathiwat. My dialect, culture and food are almost identical to the southern malay thais but sadly with the separation of the 3 southern province of thailand with my state and country our culture has become further and further apart.

with regards to keris, the keris making culture and collection still survives in my state but there are very few good empus/pandai besi/keris makers around now and all they do is just making copies of existing styles particularly pandai saras and malelas.

Last edited by Rick; 28th July 2015 at 03:13 AM. Reason: Offensive remark .
Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2015, 04:27 PM   #105
maxbliss888

Default keris

Hi!

I come into contact with the Keris by accident as I was helping a Mainland China tourist girl translates when she wants to buy a Keris for her husband. It surprised me that a Mainland Chinese from so far away is keen on a Keris From SE Asia, which aroused my curiosity and later understanding on the keris.

Really love the keris as well as my weekly get together with fellow Thai collectors...
Old 27th July 2015, 06:21 PM   #106
Henk

Green, I think if you could place some pictures of the keris made in your state, although they are copies and new ones, would satisfy our curiousity and give us an idea of the quality of these craftsmen.
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2015, 12:36 PM   #107
Green

Henk ;

Here are 3 examples from my collection. The blades and scabbards are made locally (by Kelantan Malays), and one of the hilts (the elephant molar) I know for sure was made here in the mid 1990s.

Keris 1) Malela. Made by Stopa (Mustafa) who has now passed away several years ago The keris was forged by Mazlan who is now still living and very well known here. Stopa did the second part, the chiselling (canai) and finish. keris made by Mazlan/stopa team is highly sought after and valued here.

Keris 2) "Anak Alang" (poorly maintained blade)

Keris 3) Tajong.(Pandai saras style blade)

Not sure who actually made the keris but I bough them in mid 1990s from the well known keris maker "Pok Ya" who was also dead much earlier than stopa.

Very happy to hear any comments and criticisms from any of you.
Attached Images

Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2015, 05:24 PM   #108
Henk

Green,

After seeing so many coteng keris in this thread and the knowledge that these are still made in your area gives me a good feeling. What i see is very good craftmanship on the dresses. The blades, although from a picture hard to see and to Judge, look fine as well.
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote