Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 26th April 2005, 02:45 PM   #1
tuancd

Default help needed to translate inscription from Siam

Hi everyone
I need to translate the following inscription
It should be in Thaï, maybe archaic . It belongs to a Buddha. I know it's not a weapon but I hope somebody from this forum can help.

I know that usually it gives a date and an era, It might also give the name of a temple…
Thanks
Attached Images

tuancd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2005, 04:19 PM   #2
Mark

I do believe that it is Thai, though Khmer is a possibility since the Thai script is derived from that. Unfortunately I cannot translate it. Maybe Khung Deng (AKA Dan) will be able to once he resurfaces.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2005, 12:53 PM   #3
tuancd

Really, there's not one person in the forum who can give a little help?
Thanks anyway
Old 2nd May 2005, 01:54 PM   #4
tom hyle

I guess not. That is an odd statue, though, no? Does it have a medical connection, or what's with the blood vessels?
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2005, 02:12 PM   #5
Jens Nordlunde

Can you get a better picture of the text?
I know someone who may be able to translate it - only maybe.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2005, 10:35 PM   #6
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom hyle
I guess not. That is an odd statue, though, no? Does it have a medical connection, or what's with the blood vessels?
No, it is simply an emaciated ascetic. Skeletal figures like these are not uncommon, and are depictions that are supposed to engender admiration (and hopefully emulation) in the viewer of the ascetic's ability to transcend things of the flesh like hunger, sleep, etc. I can't say that I have seen one with these prominant veins, but I am sure it is all just part of the theme.
Old 2nd May 2005, 11:39 PM   #7
Andrew

The interesting thing (to me, anyway) about the statue is that it depicts Buddha as an ascetic. This was a path the Buddha pursued prior to enlightenment, and abandoned.

A very unusual and beautiful statue. Thanks for sharing. I wish I could help with the translation, but please update us if you find out more.

Andrew
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2005, 01:19 AM   #8
tuancd

thanks Andrew

Yes it's the ascetic buddha. I will update when I get more info.
Seven years of fasting and that's the result...
And still he is some how still beatifull, and a pleasant friend in the gallery. That's also why I'd like to know some more about him. Thanks
Old 3rd May 2005, 03:16 AM   #9
Andrew

Cool

Tuancd, I'll be seeing a Thai friend of mine sometime this week, and I'll try to print out the text for her to look at. She's Buddhist as well, and is excited to see photos of this statue.

Can you provide any provenance for it?

Best,
Andrew
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2005, 09:21 AM   #10
Conogre

Recent evidence seems to point to some Bhuddist monks intentionally adapting a lifestyle so that upon death their bodies are already well along the path of mummification and that this has been occurring for a considerable length of time, if any of the programming on mummies from the "History Channel" is to be believed.
Apparently some Bhuddist sects view the "natural" preservation of the body in death in a light similar to the old Catholic views that made it one of the requirements for sainthood at one time.
Could this be connected to this belief/practice in any way?
Mike
Conogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2005, 10:28 PM   #11
Mark

That is possible. An incorruptable body is considered a sign of holiness in Buddhism (maybe not all sects). I would venture to say that the idea of pre-preserving the body before death grew out of the more basic practice of fasting in order to overcome one's physical nature. A central tenant of Buddhism is that the physical world is false (not evil, just not the true Reality), and a distraction and impediment to one's attaining Nirvana. A major focus of Buddhist asceticism was to divorce one's mind and spirit from the physical needs and sensations of the world, to better focus on and perceive the real, spiritual, world. It is likely that the incorruptability of a body after death is seen perhaps as the ultimate (or very high degree anyway) of triumphs over the physical -- even one's dead body is free of the corrupting influence of the physical world.

And Buddhists don't like swords, oddly enough. And there is no sword visible in this statue. How interesting ... and ethnographic ... and weapon-related. [Deparately trying to keep the thread from spinning COMPLETELY off into the outer reaches of OT-land. ]
Old 10th May 2005, 11:29 PM   #12
tuancd

Hi guys
Thanks to everybody
here's the translation for those who wanted it
The sentences
> mean " B.E.(the Buddhist Era) 2461, Mr. Nuj and Ms. Jid have
> contributed the buddha image and have dedicated to Ms. Ju.They wish
> she will reach nirvana.
Not much
but there is the date which still needs to be tranfered in JC calendar (any help will be appreciated)
Old 11th May 2005, 12:40 AM   #13
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

tuancd:

I believe that your B.E. date of 2461 translates to about 1920 A.D. in the Christian Era. That seems rather recent for such a statue, but perhaps not.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2005, 12:28 PM   #14
Mark

2461 BE would be either 1918 or 1917, depending on where you are. Generally one subtracts 544 years, but in some countries (e.g., Thailand) 543 is subtracted. Since this is a Thai piece, it is most likely 1918.